Super Moderator
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Ok Bud!

Reactions: mike160304

·
Amateur
2,533 Posts
Don't think I saw this, ignore this post if it's already included.

Plinking - informal shooting, typically at non-standard targets such as cans, logs, bottles, or other homemade or naturally occurring targets.

Reactions: MakoPat

·
Registered
19 Posts
I looked through this terminology post, but did not see what we call Pitch and Yaw? Unless I missed it. Apparently "Canting" = Roll (and so I have been misusing the term up until now). I suspect I have a problem with Pitch; ie, when the slingshot is held gangsta, the top fork might be a scootch closer or further away from the target than the bottom fork, from shot to shot. Folks have advised me to use a mirror or a video to check, but I would like to know what this error is called, now that I figured out that's not canting.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I looked through this terminology post, but did not see what we call Pitch and Yaw? Unless I missed it. Apparently "Canting" = Roll (and so I have been misusing the term up until now). I suspect I have a problem with Pitch; ie, when the slingshot is held gangsta, the top fork might be a scootch closer or further away from the target than the bottom fork, from shot to shot. Folks have advised me to use a mirror or a video to check, but I would like to know what this error is called, now that I figured out that's not
If we dump "vertical" axis and call it "perpendicular" (to the slingshot), then this should be "yaw"?

·
Super Moderator
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I never heard a slang word for a fork not held perpendicular to the ground or one for a fork tilted a bit backwards or forwards. The only one I know of is Cant. I guess we could take from the airplane lingo and use Yaw-Roll.

Reactions: mike160304

·
Registered
323 Posts
I never heard a slang word for a fork not held perpendicular to the ground or one for a fork tilted a bit backwards or forwards. The only one I know of is Cant. I guess we could take from the airplane lingo and use Yaw-Roll.
I can't shoot any of my slingshots without a bit of cant ...

Archers have been using the same word for years for people who lean their bow while aiming and shooting.

A right handed archer (bow in left hand) typically tips the upper limb to the right.

Cheers,

Smoketown

·
Registered
588 Posts
It seems to me that if a slingshot is held full gangsta, that is 90 degrees cant. But then if, as the OP described, the line between the upper and lower fork is not at right angles to the shooter's line of sight, that sounds like yaw to me, from the airplane analogy.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I can't shoot any of my slingshots without a bit of cant ...

Archers have been using the same word for years for people who lean their bow while aiming and shooting.

A right handed archer (bow in left hand) typically tips the upper limb to the right.

Cheers,

Smoketown
To prevent the arrow from falling to the left, off the hand, I guess.

Mike

121 - 137 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.