Slingshots Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wyoming:

Any weapon is allowed to take small game (per the regulations https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRDocs/REGULATIONS_UPSMGMTURK_BRO.pdf page 7).

Upland birds need to be taken with a shotgun either muzzle loading or centerfire.

Turkeys are not allowed.

Blue and ruffed grouse are allowed with any weapon (I have used a slingshot, .22 pistol, sticks, rocks, .270 Winchester). This last bit is per the local game warden. The regulations are a bit murky on this because they specifically state that a hunter must use a shotgun on birds with the exception of turkeys, blue and ruffed grouse. It says that each species section of the regulations will specify what weapons can be used. The turkey section spells it out very clearly. The blue and ruffed grouse does not refer to what you can or cannot use. One warden said this was written so elk/deer hunters could hunt with a handgun during their seasons. He should know, he was on the commission that set up these regulations. Another game warden said he would write a ticket because it doesn't say you can take grouse with a slingshot. I pointed out that it doesn't say you can't. He paused thoughtfully and said that he would have to think about this one. I haven't heard back from him on this. Until I hear otherwise, I am going to continue to hunt grouse with a slingshot.

I like to carry the slingshot along with a .22 rimfire handgun for grouse. I like the slingshot because it is extremely quiet in dispatching grouse and does not alert the elk and deer to your presence.

Sasq.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.