Slingshots Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
NEW YORK

Not listed as a legal means of taking game by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation..

Other issues:

Under NYS penal law, no wrist braces.

Under local laws things get murky...

Some areas prohibit possession for those under age 16.

Smithtown, NY goes so far as to include slingshots under the definition of a firearm as concerns discharge. I'd check you own local ordinances just to be safe from legal problems!

FIREARM

Includes a weapon which acts by the force of gunpowder or from which a shot is discharged by the force of an explosion, as well as an air rifle, an air gun, a BB gun, a slingshot and a bow and arrow.
[Amended 1-9-1990]

TOWN

Includes all areas within the Town of Smithtown, exclusive of areas wholly within any incorporated village.

The purpose of this chapter is to prohibit any person from discharging a firearm in those areas of the Town of Smithtown in which such activity may be hazardous to the general public or nearby residents.

[Amended 12-4-1973]
The discharge of firearms is deemed hazardous to the general public and, therefore, prohibited in all areas of the Town of Smithtown except those areas as stipulated under § 160-5, Exceptions.

[Added 10-29-1968; amended 12-4-1973]

A.

Firearms may be discharged upon one's own property and upon the property of another with the written consent of the landowner, provided that any such discharge of firearms does not occur within 500 feet from a dwelling, school or occupied structure, or a park, beach, playground or any other place of outdoor recreational or nonrecreational activities; and further provided that any such discharge of firearms does not violate the provisions of the New York State Environmental Conservation Law.
[Amended 1-9-1990; 4-3-2012]

§ 160-3Purpose.§ 160-4Prohibited areas.§ 160-5Exceptions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New York

Additional information.

I checked with NYS DEC via e-mail and confirmed that unprotected species may be hunted with a sling shot (no wrist braces allowed) without a hunting license. From the NYS DEC website at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27801.html I found this:

Protected Wildlife

In New York State, nearly all species of wildlife are protected. Most species, including endangered species, songbirds, hawks and owls are fully protected and may not be taken. The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow, crossbow, or firearm.

As such there are a small number of animals in NY that can be hunted with a slingshot... Woodchuck and pigeon are edible but I cannot speak to the rest!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have e-mails out to all of these as well.

I've found that on the "difficult" states, I'm having the best luck searching for the name of an actual employee in the Enforcement division and then locating an e-mail address for that employee specifically, rather than going through the "contact us" channels.

I have my fingers crossed that I will hear back from these 5 states today.

*** I've also noticed that I am getting a significant increase in spam to the e-mail account I use for these inquiries, so at least one of the states is selling e-mail addresses. :( ***
You might also try contacting their biologists... I found this worked as I've worked with state biologists on habitat projects. Through that it became abundantly clear that biologists are heavily involved in setting policy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.