Slingshots Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts
I sent emails to most of the states that didnt have a status in your list.
But i got no answer yet.

Reactions: learnin'

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
@zippo: Thank you! Your help is so appreciated, and the fact that you aren't even from the US and still are helping is impressive.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
NORTH DAKOTA

LEGAL FOR NON-GAME SPECIES ONLY

Per e-mail from the DNR:

"Slingshots are not a legal method of take for small game. For the nuisance species that you described, there are no regulations regarding the removal of them. However, if you are shooting within city limits, you would need to contact the Police Department on the use of the slingshot."

·
Registered
101 Posts
NORTH CAROLINA

LEGAL FOR NON-GAME SPECIES

Per e-mail conversation with DNR:

DNR: "There are no relevant regulations because a slingshot is not a legal weapon to take game in the state of North Carolina."

ME: "Thank you. Does this mean that non-game "nuisance" species, such as rats, starlings, European house sparrows, etc. also may not be taken with a slingshot?"

DNR: "Rats are not game animals so it probably is not against the law to use a slingshot to kill them. In North Carolina it is against the law to kill songbirds of any kind including starlings and sparrows."

The use of the word "probably" by the DNR representative scares me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
MISSISSIPPI

NOT LEGAL

Per e-mail from the DNR:

"Thank you for contacting us at the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks. A slingshot is not a legal weapon in MIssissippi. Thanks and be safe outdoors..."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
OREGON

LEGAL FOR PREDATORY ANIMALS AND NUISANCE SPECIES

Per e-mail from the DNR:

"Outside of taking predatory animals on private lands or starlings, English sparrows, rock pigeons and Eurasian collared doves, sling shots are not a legal weapon to harvest wildlife in Oregon. Predatory animals means coyotes, rabbits, rodents which are or may be destructive to agricultural crops where any humane method of removal is legal."

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts
So far i only got a respond from indiana's DNR and they just gave me another email.. i contacted them too and i am yet to get a respond.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
UTAH

LEGAL FOR UNPROTECTED WILDLIFE ONLY

Per e-mail from DWR:

"Protected wildlife cannot be taken with a slingshot. Unprotected wildlife can be hunted with any weapon that is legal. You could use your slingshot, but other weapons are more effective. Make sure that you are not using weapons within city limits. For more information call 801-538-4700."

·
Registered
101 Posts
MAINE

NOT LEGAL

Per e-mail from DNR:

DNR: Maine does not allow hunting with slingshots. There is a bill going through the legislature this session that purposes to allow slingshot hunting for small game. The bill is attached.

Me: Just to clarify, are slingshots permitted for non-game/nuisance species, such as rats, starlings, European house sparrows, coyotes, etc.?

DNR: The short answer is no.

Title 12 Section 10001 has two important definitions. Legal hunting equipment does not include a slingshot in Maine.

21. Firearm. "Firearm" means any instrument used in the propulsion of pellets, shot, shells or bullets by
action of gunpowder, compressed air or gas exploded or released within it.
A. "Autoloading firearm" means a firearm that reloads itself after each shot and requires that the trigger
be pulled for each shot. [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 614, §9
(AFF).]
B. "Automatic firearm" means a firearm that will continue to fire as long as the trigger is held back.

33. Hunting equipment. "Hunting equipment" means:
A. Firearms of any type that are permitted under the laws governing hunting, including muzzle-loading
firearms; or [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF).]
B. Archery equipment that is permitted under the hunting laws governing archery, including, but not
limited to, recurved bows and compound bows.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
SOUTH DAKOTA

NOT LEGAL

Per e-mail from DNR:

"We do not allow slingshots for hunting. Unless a weapon is specifically authorized, it is not allowed. A slingshot is not defined as a firearms.

Here is our statute for hunting methods.

41-8-31. Hunting methods restricted--Violation as misdemeanor. No person may at any time hunt, catch, take, attempt to take, or kill any small game or game animal in any other manner than by shooting the same with a firearm, except:

(1) Game birds and animals may be taken with birds trained in falconry or with bow and arrow;

(1A) Cottontail rabbit, red squirrel, fox squirrel, grey squirrel, and any species defined as a predator/varmint in § 41-1-1 may be taken with an air gun that complies with specifications established by rules promulgated by the Game, Fish and Parks Commission pursuant to chapter 1-26;

(2) A person with a permanent or temporary disability who is missing an upper limb, physically incapable of using an upper limb, or confined to a wheelchair may obtain a disabled hunter permit to use a crossbow or other legal bow equipped with a draw-lock device to take game birds and animals;

(3) A person who is legally blind, is legally licensed, possesses a disabled hunter permit, and is physically present and participates in the hunt but cannot safely discharge a firearm or bow and arrow, may claim game birds and animals taken by a designated hunter in accordance with the license possessed by the hunter who is legally blind;

(3A) A person who is quadriplegic, is legally licensed, possesses a disabled hunter permit, and is physically present and participates in the hunt but cannot safely discharge a firearm or bow and arrow, may claim game birds and animals taken by a designated hunter in accordance with the license possessed by the hunter who is quadriplegic; and

(4) A person with a permanent or temporary disability as defined in subdivision (2) of this section who is legally licensed for a youth big game hunting season, possesses a disabled hunter permit, and is physically present and participates in the hunt but is unable to safely discharge a firearm or bow and arrow, may claim any big game animal taken by a designated hunter in accordance with the youth big game license possessed by the person with a permanent or temporary disability.

A violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor."

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts
Thats so wierd that they answered you so fast, but im waiting for a respond from them for quite some time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thats so wierd that they answered you so fast, but im waiting for a respond from them for quite some time.
Can you send me a list of who you have sent to? I have some that I am still waiting on, but I can also try the ones you tried from my end and see if I get an answer quickly.

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts
Indiana
South dakota
Utah
South carolina
North carolina
Maine
Ohio
And many more...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
FLORIDA

LEGAL FOR NON-GAME SPECIES ONLY

Per e-mail from DNR:

"A slingshot could be used legally to take non-game species, such as wild hogs and furbearers (coyotes, raccoons, etc) on private property only."

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts
OHIO

NOT LEGAL FOR ANY SORT OF HUNTING

email from DNR :

"Good Morning,

Ohio only allows specific hunting implements to be used and slingshots are not on the allowable hunting equipment for any animal.

Thanks,

Debbie

"

Reactions: MakoPat

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts
Also i have just gotten an answer about maine, he just told me to contact you @learnin' :)

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.