61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
WISCONSIN

NOT LEGAL

Per e-mail from DNR:

"Thank you for your question regarding sling shots. I have attached the small game regulations to this e mail for your reference. Please note on page 4 references what can be legally used in WI for hunting purposes. A firearm fired from the shoulder, legal hand gun, bow and arrow or cross bow are the only acceptable weapons that can be utilized. I hope this answers any questions you may have. If you need further assistance please contact our information line 1-888-936-7463. Thanks and have a great day!"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
WASHINGTON

LEGAL FOR UNCLASSIFIED WILDLIFE ONLY

Per e-mail from DNR:

"Thank you for contacting WDFW. You are legal to use a slingshot to hunt unclassified wildlife in Washington State. The unclassified wildlife would be the examples you gave below such as rats, starlings etc...). You can reference WAC 232-12-047 to show the difference between classified and unclassified wildlife. You can also reference WAC numbers 232-12-004 as far as a definition for predatory game birds and 232-12-005 has more reference material as well."

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts
UTAH

LEGAL FOR NON PROTECTED WILDLIFE

email from the DNR :

" Hello, all of the Utah Division of Wildlife rules and regulations can be found at wildlife.utah.gov
I am sure you can hunt non protected wildlife with a slingshot.

Thanks "

It is not very clear, he says he is sure... 'sure' is not knowing..

Reactions: MakoPat

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts
UTAH

LEGAL FOR NON PROTECTED WILDLIFE

email from the DNR :

" Hello, all of the Utah Division of Wildlife rules and regulations can be found at wildlife.utah.gov
I am sure you can hunt non protected wildlife with a slingshot.

Thanks "

It is not very clear, he says he is sure... 'sure' is not knowing..
Sorry for this post, i didnt see that you already posted it..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
MASSACHUSETTS

LEGAL (But check regs on a species by species basis)

Per e-mail from DNR:

"Slingshots are not prohibited, but many of our regulations specify what implements you may use for each species. I think most of the species where there is an open season (English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, ect.), however, could be harvested via slingshot. Here is a link to our hunting regulations...

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/cmr/

Let me know if you have further questions after reviewing our regs."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
RHODE ISLAND

NOT LEGAL

Per e-mail from DNR:

"Our state does not allow slingshots as a hunting method. This would include hunting any wild bird or wild mammal including starlings, english sparrows, rock doves (pigeons), etc.. Our hunting regulations can be found on our website ridem.gov. Specifically Part V, regulation 5.7 ."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
VERMONT

NOT LEGAL

Per e-mail from DNR:

"Vermont would not allow any wild game hunting with a sling shot, this follows Title 10 regulation, 4701 which can be found online if you would like to read more."

·
Registered
101 Posts
MARYLAND

LEGAL FOR UNREGULATED GAME ONLY, SUBJECT TO LOCAL ORDINANCES.

Per e-mail from DNR:

"Slingshots are not legal for taking game animals in Maryland. There are no DNR-based restrictions for taking unregulated species such as norway rats, starlings or EHS but a person would need to consult with local or community ordinances or covenants re: the use of a slingshot for that purpose and in a particular location."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
WEST VIRGINIA

LEGAL

Per e-mail from DNR:

"Sir, you can hunt small game and non-game animals with a sling shot in WV. WV has archery and firearm seasons for big game animals, archery and firearms must meeting certain requirements before they can be used to hunt during these seasons."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
LOUISIANA

NOT LEGAL

Per e-mail from DNR:

"Slingshot is not an approved method of take for any game or birds in Louisiana."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Have received responses from 45 states so far.

27 of these allow some form of hunting with slingshots :)

States that I still need info on are:

Connecticut

Deleware

Indiana

Tennessee

South Carolina

·
A former WoodPigeon
1,268 Posts

Connecticut
Deleware
Indiana
Tennessee
South Carolina
I sent to all of these exept deleware and i didnt get an answer from any exept indiana and they just told me to send it to another email, i sent it to tge new email but i didnt get an answer yet.

Reactions: learnin'

·
Registered
101 Posts

Connecticut
Deleware
Indiana
Tennessee
South Carolina
I sent to all of these exept deleware and i didnt get an answer from any exept indiana and they just told me to send it to another email, i sent it to tge new email but i didnt get an answer yet.
I have e-mails out to all of these as well.

I've found that on the "difficult" states, I'm having the best luck searching for the name of an actual employee in the Enforcement division and then locating an e-mail address for that employee specifically, rather than going through the "contact us" channels.

I have my fingers crossed that I will hear back from these 5 states today.

*** I've also noticed that I am getting a significant increase in spam to the e-mail account I use for these inquiries, so at least one of the states is selling e-mail addresses. :( ***

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have e-mails out to all of these as well.

I've found that on the "difficult" states, I'm having the best luck searching for the name of an actual employee in the Enforcement division and then locating an e-mail address for that employee specifically, rather than going through the "contact us" channels.

I have my fingers crossed that I will hear back from these 5 states today.

*** I've also noticed that I am getting a significant increase in spam to the e-mail account I use for these inquiries, so at least one of the states is selling e-mail addresses. :( ***
You might also try contacting their biologists... I found this worked as I've worked with state biologists on habitat projects. Through that it became abundantly clear that biologists are heavily involved in setting policy.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
NORTH CAROLINA

LEGAL FOR NON-GAME SPECIES

Per e-mail conversation with DNR:

DNR: "There are no relevant regulations because a slingshot is not a legal weapon to take game in the state of North Carolina."

ME: "Thank you. Does this mean that non-game "nuisance" species, such as rats, starlings, European house sparrows, etc. also may not be taken with a slingshot?"

DNR: "Rats are not game animals so it probably is not against the law to use a slingshot to kill them. In North Carolina it is against the law to kill songbirds of any kind including starlings and sparrows."

The use of the word "probably" by the DNR representative scares me.

Whoever emailed you does not know what he is talking about. English Sparrows and Starlings are not considered song birds and may be shot on sight.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow we need to get the us solid here, i know california and new york have retarded laws, but on this one we should all be like oklahoma and west virginia.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.