Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a big fan of the Mythbusters. Therefore I like to make a video where I test popular slingshot myths.

Here are the ones I put together:

- Thin string can cut your rubber
- Tubes last longer than flat bands
- Tapering shortens band life
- Keeping the bands in drawn out condition weakens them
- Bands must be 100% matched on both sides for accuracy

Of course I know the answers to most of these issues already, but my point is to scientifically test the myths and confirm them - or declare them busted.

What other ideas do you have? Do you know a popular myth that deserves clarification?

Jörg

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
- Narrow forks are accurate than wider ones
- Flat bands are faster than tubes

I m looking clarifications for above - I'll update the list later

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello,

I am a big fan of the Mythbusters. Therefore I like to make a video where I test popular slingshot myths.

Here are the ones I put together:

- Thin string can cut your rubber
- Tubes last longer than flat bands
- Tapering shortens band life
- Keeping the bands in drawn out condition weakens them
- Bands must be 100% matched on both sides for accuracy

Of course I know the answers to most of these issues already, but my point is to scientifically test the myths and confirm them - or declare them busted.

What other ideas do you have? Do you know a popular myth that deserves clarification?

Jörg
Hi Jörg,

I don't really know of any myths that need busting since I'm somewhat new to the science of slingshots.
I am a fan of everything you do, so you can do no wrong in my eyes.
I did send you a fun video idea to your mail box, message or conversation box thing here. Well I thought it would be fun, but you might think it may be worth doing. Maybe i got lost since I sent it a couple weeks ago.

Cheers,
Allen

·
Registered
121 Posts
Probably as good a time as any to do a flatband vs tube chrony comparsion. Eg take some full width, untapered black theraband and compare it to black thera tubing using the same relaxed length and stretch for the tubes and flats. The draw weight should be the same and as the flatbands are untapered, that variable is removed.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Slingshots are potentially lethal weapons - I just want to see you shoot the coconuts again!

·
1,426 Posts
Oh yeah and multiple thin bands are more powerful than one thick one...

·
1,426 Posts
Which offers superior penetration on a variety of objects, steel or lead?

Also Joerg do you maintain your beastly physique so that you can shoot more powerful slingshots?

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Absolutely Great Idea Joerg!!!! Looking forward to it!!! If I think of something that's no already been listed I'll let you know.

·
1,426 Posts
Absolutely Great Idea Joerg!!!! Looking forward to it!!! If I think of something that's no already been listed I'll let you know.
Same here, it's gonna be great! Joerg's show is easily the best on youtube!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
horquillas amplias son mas precisas que las estrechas
bandas planas mas precisas que los tubos

ample forks are but precise that the close
flatbands more precise that the tubes

Chepo

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know that someone mentionend tubes vs. flats but i think you should test chinese tubes vs. flatbands.

We all know the winner but just for our friends.

Friedrich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts