Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, hope you are all safe and in good health or at least in good spirit?

Having been stuck indoors with the rest of the world, I stumbled across Joerg Sprave's (uber cool) youtube channel, and some of his awesome projects (specifically the Instant Rufus and Tiger claws video's) gave me an idea / raised a question.

Has anyone tried using 2 types of rubber together, to combine the benefit of a short stroke with heavy draw, and a lighter, longer stroke?

I understand this probably has no benefit for a standard slingshot, but keeping "Instant Rufus" and "Tiger claw's" mind...

to explain -

Using long tubular rubber, threaded with a measured length of heavyweight fishing line, the fishing line limits the amount the lightweight rubber can stretch.

Between the long rubber and the "forks", is a shorter length of heavier (ie. spear-fishing) rubber.

As the stretch of the long rubber is limited by the length of the fishing line, the heavier rubber must be stretched, forcing a heavier draw weight at the end of the stroke.

I thought that using this 2 stage rubber, in conjunction with the "medieval let-off" on the instant Rufus would allow us to utilize the strength from one's grip, in addition to the standard draw?

Sadly I only have ideas, and no way to test my theory :(

What do you guys think?

I understand this probably has no benefit for a standard slingshot

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
Tom - where in SA are you?

I've not tried that - but I'd expect a tapered or pseudo (with tubes) would be better. Really not sure if the faster elastic would dominate or if depending on the active areas under release would change much... People have done tapers using different rubber types for the different sections with good results.

Interesting thought - keen to see if anyone weighs in on this...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom - where in SA are you?
Hey Matt, thanks for your input. I'm in Margate, south coast, KZN.

I have seen tapered bands used, but I think my idea will work slightly differently.

To clarify -

The entire draw is done through the normal rubber apart from the last inch, where you can grip the "let-off", and with the engagement of the heavier rubber, actually NEED the additional strength from your grip, to complete the draw.

I just thought of Joerg using the "let-off" and with one hand, being able to draw the last inch of an instant Legolas equipped bow with just 2 fingers. I thought, what if you get a 30lb draw weight to that stage, then add another 20lb just for that last inch?

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
Margate! - news years there is fun :) I'm a Durban boy originally

yeah - I get the idea - its an interesting one. Just not sure how the power strokes vs resultant drag/friction will pan out. Keen to know if it will work though.

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
A Pseudo tube set up kind of does what you're after I'd think. Basically doubling up the tubes for a section of the active length - results in a compound bow type deal. And adds quite a bit of oomph on release for little draw weight.

I have been wonering about having a 'spider web' of doubled up again would add to teh effect or not - basically tuning the draw weight between the pseudo section... But the effort for me has never had me try that ...

If you had been in the Western Cape aI have a few M of 1842 tube you could have got to play with.

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
LOL - did the opposite. Moved from Cape Town to the Uk (South West and Midlands) 10 years ago. Discovered Portugal and after a few false starts have 'settled' down a bit. It was the closest place we could find to be similar to South Africa but still be within Europe.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
There is really very little new in slingery. If you look hard enough long enough, you'll find some one has already tried it.

That doesn't mean that you can't try it yourself! Might be a long forgotten gem.

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Welcome! Two different sized rubbers? My experience they would work against each other. Better off with a good quality tapered latex tube set. Nice to have you here and a good question too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.