Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Im new 2 this site 2day. I want a slingshot so I googled slingshots yesterday & I had no idea there was so much involved in these. I do not have a sling shot as they are illegal here in Australia, ( so I cant buy one or import them ) .
I would like to make one , I was thinking a metal rod one bent up with the loops at the top for the bands, so I have no idea what size they are , how high are they how long r the handles , how wide r the forks etc.??? Is there an average size etc ??

Also, I see you all use the palm style instead of the wrist rockets that come over your arm. Why do you guys use these? they must work better or the like ?? could some one please tell me why this is..

Thank you for you time , I look forward to reading your responses.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Hello and welcome stumagoo,
A good size between the forks is 2 1/2" or 3" and the grip should fit your closed hand plus a little. Many of us make and use brace-less forks partly because they work so well if gripped properly, and they take even less space when you take them with you. A wrist brace is most of the time not needed when using a "high V style" grip where the forefinger and thumb are up close to the bands. This means less leverage working against your wrist and increased accuracy due in part to "point and shoot" ergonomics. It is well suited to instinctive quick shots at game with powerful bands and even good with lower power target bands and a more deliberate aiming style. Unless you have wrist or hand weakness I would encourage you to try brace-less slingshots. Most are hooked forever if they give them a fair chance.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys
Thanks for the greetings & for taking the time to respond I appreciate it. There is some good advice here and I think I will have a go at brace-less forks.
It seems that here in Perth, Australia I might have some work finding the rubber bands, as supplies are not readily available, as every part of a slingshot or "ging" as we call them are illegal.
You guys are lucky that way over there in the states.

Cheers
Magoo

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
If they are totally illegal, perhaps you are better off not owning or making one. If so, please don't put a maker in a tight spot by asking him to sell you one or teach you how to break the law. However, if you discover that in your jurisdiction, you may make, own and shoot one in private, then slingshots are easy to make well and you would find plenty of information her and elsewhere on the Net. Wood or laminates are universally available, as are exercise bands or stationary store rubber bands and leather.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
There are other members here from Australia, it seems that the restrictions are rather tight over there but do not completely rule out owning a slingshot of some type. Please check your local laws and see what you can or can not own. In the end a forked stick and gum rubber or latex exercise bands can always be found, what you do with them is up to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.