Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Im new 2 this site 2day. I want a slingshot so I googled slingshots yesterday & I had no idea there was so much involved in these. I do not have a sling shot as they are illegal here in Australia, ( so I cant buy one or import them ) .
I would like to make one , I was thinking a metal rod one bent up with the loops at the top for the bands, so I have no idea what size they are , how high are they how long r the handles , how wide r the forks etc.??? Is there an average size etc ??

Also, I see you all use the palm style instead of the wrist rockets that come over your arm. Why do you guys use these? they must work better or the like ?? could some one please tell me why this is..

Thank you for you time , I look forward to reading your responses.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welcome to the fun!
I'm not the old hand around here that a lot of these guys are, but I'll have a crack at one or two of your questions.
First off, on the wrist brace type slingshots, They are cool, but even here in the USA they are not legal in some places. Also, for the DIY slingshotters like myself, it's a bit less technical to make one without, and then there is the fact that they are much harder to slip into a pocket.
As far as I can see, the palm style, as you put it, seems to work pretty good. For me it is easier on my wrist to hold up by the forks rather than around the handle. Also I feel more control of where the shot may go.
I had a wrist rocket at one time, but it was such a trouble to carry around that I never got very acquainted with it.
I cannot address the question of what may be legal to make there in Australia.

·
Registered
525 Posts
hi im pretty new here too and im in australia aswell and slingshots are illegal in aus but i dont walk around with it in my pocket.
i currently have 2 Y shaped branches my best one is about from bottom to fork is 20cm and the fork is 8 cm wide.
and you can get them here from some countres just put them under scraper handle if they are not wrist rocket style.huey

·
Registered
286 Posts
...I would like to make one , I was thinking a metal rod one bent up with the loops at the top for the bands, so I have no idea what size they are , how high are they how long r the handles , how wide r the forks etc.??? Is there an average size etc ??...I look forward to reading your responses.
stumagoo, one of the moderators here -- smitty -- has been successful in making this kind of slingshot...

Check here and here for how he did it. Also try a forum search under the word "pretzel" to see examples. Best Wishes!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you don't have the resources to make a steel tube slingshot, you could always go to Home Depot or Lowes (or the Australian variety of those stores) and buy a small piece of wood. Then, trace a slingshot shape onto the wood and carve it out with a rasp. Good Luck with your slingshot adventures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts