Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading Tex shooters last post reminded me of a question I’ve asked before. How did the slingshot shooters several years ago contact others to form a slingshot tournament.???? With all the social media today, we can literally reach thousands of people in seconds. I’m sure there was phone operators, then dial up and push button phones. How did they organize slingshot tournaments in the early days of shooting.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,179 Posts
Reading Tex shooters last post reminded me of a question I've asked before. How did the slingshot shooters several years ago contact others to form a slingshot tournament. With all the social media today, we can literally reach thousands of people in seconds. I'm sure there was phone operators, then dial up and push button phones. How did they organize slingshot tournaments in the early days of shooting.
Carrier Pigeons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Glad you asked. We would write a note on a piece of paper and wrap it around a small stone and shoot it to the next slingshot guy a block away. He would read it and then shoot it to the next guy. After about a week everyone in town who owned a slingshot got the message.

PS: Want to buy some stock in the Brooklyn Big? I know a guy.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
I tend to think back the way things were before the internet. How did we buy, sell, collect, form clubs, organized events, etc.
It was so different then but we managed to build a great country without it. There was a lot more word of mouth through fliers, newspapers, magazines, radio, television, etc.
It seems so archaic now but it worked and we accomplished great things without the internet.
People talked more back then and acknowledged one another on the street. We just communicated differently back then and it worked.
Truth be known, I miss it.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
The old days of archery was to buy archery magazines then join an organization from their adds ( like the nfaa) and then they would send you their magazine which had postings for tournaments. We had to enter by mail.
We've come along way but I didn't mind the old way.
Hey how'd that slingshot magazine get on? Printed in the UK I think

·
Premium Member
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have been more specific with my question. How did they find slingshot shooters to enter their contest? We communicate almost every day on the Forum and it’s still tough to get enough people to have a tournament. In the earlier days almost any telephone call would have been long distance, and to write a letter or even a post card took time and money. We have it so much easier to communicate, and advertise the sport of slingshot shooting. How did a new shooter find out about tournaments in other parts of the country.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Good question, Tag and I thought of that as well. But then I remember the small scale, black and white, printed publications of newsletters or magazines with all the articles and the ads in them.

I remember sending off $2 to an address in a small ad in the back of a magazine,,,,,,,completely forgetting I even sent it and then getting a surprise gadget in the mail 2 months later. The good ol' days, as they say.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Interesting topic. It is almost impossible to remember pre-internet, although half of my life occurred before there were even personal computers. As stated, we relied on newspapers, magazines, newsletters. My parents subscribed to 4 newspapers - which was fairly typical. We used the telephone and the USPS to respond.

While we have instant communication now, I think that attendance at face-to-face events has actually decreased. It is simpler to sit at the computer and correspond about an event than it is to attend an event.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts