Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Kiddo's birthday is coming up. He is turning 5. I want to start him off right. (I grew up with wrist rockets). What are good younger models?

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
I recommend getting him a Saunders wrist-braced model. The Saunders bands have more delivered power than any other production bands. This is the case even with their light pull, and the light pull makes them fun to shoot for everybody, including kids. The bands will last for hundreds if not thousands of shots. Once he gets older you could get him a finger supported model like a Flatband Ergo.

I am going to get on my soap-box here for a moment. I think that Saunders is the best production manufacturer out there. Why? Saunders is dedicated to consistently upgrading their product. Saunders is 1 of only 2 companies that have testing areas setup in their plants to test new designs. None of the other manufacturers is doing that. The new Saunders flat band models have a near fail safe design in that if a band does come loose that is all that will hit you. I challenge anyone to name another big company that is truly innovating their products!

http://stores.homestead.com/SlingshotsUSA/-strse-Slingshots-cln-Wrist-dsh-Rockets/Categories.bok

·
Registered
855 Posts
I was gonna suggest a Trumark FS-1, but now I'm afraid Aaron might beat me over the noggin with a Saunders...
Seriously, though, I think the FS-1 would be a great starter, if you're looking for a modern style slingshot. It's very light, comes with moderate pull RR-1 bands and can be shot with or without the brace. If you want to start the little guy out on a more traditional slingshot (wood, non-braced), then check the classifieds here to contact one of our resident makers (Bunny Buster, Flatband, etc.).

·
Registered
105 Posts
My son is 6 about to turn 7, and I know that no model wrist rocket is made for a 5 year old! Either they are to bulky or the bands are way to strong for a young gun. I'm not sure Saunders or Trumark have a child slingshot model. I think those guys forget the size and hand strength of a 5 year old. At 5 my son and none of his cousins could control a wrist rocket. Between 5 and 8 are huge years of growth in strength, so until then you might need a custom job.

You will want to get is a child sized fork. Have one of these fine fellows that make custum forks for tiny hands. You might trace his hand on paper and send it to your choice of fork maker. You don't want tall forks that's for sure, kids hand strength even the ":strong kids" have problems with tall forks that adults use. Then buy some bands from Tex or Flatband and request thin child strength bands.

Or get a Dankung with the black small light tubing. That tubing is ultra light and my son loves it.

My father just made a custom made fork for my son from aluminium rod you get at the hardware store. It's a custom fit for his size. I just need to add ultra light Dankung bands to it.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
My 6yo (just turned) daughter can pull back a Saunders standard band 3/4 of the way. Truth be told though, she likes the Flatband Ergo best even though she cannot pull it very far. She calls it HER "swingshaught".

·
Registered
484 Posts
i´m shooting with my nephews my light target bands and wide forks. they are quite good with it. with my big cattys they don´t like them after a few shot.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies all.. I've ordered a few Dankungs with some spare tubing. I'm kinda bumming because I saw the Bi-Thor and thought "That might be the one Jorge designed." Then I saw it was sold out so now I'm thinking it IS the one he designed. Lol. I think now I will peruse the vendors and see what I like. Initially seems like a lot of good bean shooters there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You know I am a bit surprised there isn't a junior model of slingshots from a manufacturer out there after sleeping on it. The bow and arrow industry offer children models of the bow, because they recognize future growth is enhanced when the youth experience the activity. It's sort of like fishing, you want to make sure the first few times your child catches a fish, else they become disinterested.

·
Registered
258 Posts
njenkins, the Bi-Thor is a 100% chinese invention - their first attempt to make a slingshot for Western shooters.

A large slingshot is bulky, but wide forks and wristbraces add a lot of security. I'd go with a braced slingshot such as the
Wr-1 or Fs series or the Sr-7 that is overlooked so often.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My son just turned 5 as well. For his birthday I made him a slingshot becuase he wanted one like mamma and daddy. Well my son is very "spirited" and there is no way I could trust him with a fully powered slingshot. So the one we made him has a simple elastic band that can fire a filbert nut about 10 feet.

While I am not saying ALL children are capable mentally of handling a powerful slingshot it is got to note that some are not and I think if there is a junior sized model there should also be some sort of beginner shafety version.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
What about making a chain link rubber-band slingshot ? Any slingshot could be used, even getting a small forked stick and making it just his size and check with him on what he can pull and how many rubber-bands to put in the chain ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
i wouldn't recamend barrnet stike but a black widow would be good anything with qrist suppourt and fairly weak bands makes it much easyier

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,460 Posts
I recommend getting him a Saunders wrist-braced model. The Saunders bands have more delivered power than any other production bands. This is the case even with their light pull, and the light pull makes them fun to shoot for everybody, including kids. The bands will last for hundreds if not thousands of shots. Once he gets older you could get him a finger supported model like a Flatband Ergo.

I am going to get on my soap-box here for a moment. I think that Saunders is the best production manufacturer out there. Why? Saunders is dedicated to consistently upgrading their product. Saunders is 1 of only 2 companies that have testing areas setup in their plants to test new designs. None of the other manufacturers is doing that. The new Saunders flat band models have a near fail safe design in that if a band does come loose that is all that will hit you. I challenge anyone to name another big company that is truly innovating their products!

http://stores.homest.../Categories.bok
I am glad I read this post. I was going to ask for your opinions on the Saunders line of slingshots. I am now going to buy one as my first flatband slingshot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts