Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
I thought the same thing he just needed to show that animal he could wupp him a shout and a handful of rocks would have worked,bear spray, or a 7/16 bearing tween his eyes.Quite obviously he's never had any battles or confidence.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Here's a real encounter I had with a male lion. True story.
It was summer and my girlfriend at the time and me where talking at the late night, about 3-4 am. seated in a local park when we suddenly hear the horrific roaring of a real lion. I can't express the power and bass notes of that roaring. Think with me: you're in the city, in a park, with your beautiful girl, talking about art and a lion roars. I felt all the (inexistant) spine backbone spikes raising as if I were a porcupine. Horror for about 3 seconds. Then I turn towards the lion and there he is: a giant male lion looking at us with hunger, a lion in a ... cage. A f*** circus cage!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah I've seen a mama cougar be quite aggressive when I was a kid on the farm. Usually they don't mess with people but when they got babies they can be right nasty little buggers, and yes if you retreat they will follow you. We were always taught never to run away from an animal because it would probably chase you. Even sheep and cattle will do that. Best thing is to act insane and scream and wave your arms around and kick dirt and throw things at them. That usually freaks them out enough to go away. Growing up on a farm teaches you stuff that comes in handy sometimes.

However, it is a good point whether a slingshot (or even a sling with a suitably hefty stone) would have been enough to make her go away. Slingshots might sting like buggery but only if you landed a good accurate shot, which might be hard to do under such pressure, and the small size of the projectile probably wouldn't seem very scary to her if you missed. If you took the time to aim she'd just be that much closer to scratching your face off. Basically you'd have ONE shot and hope for the best. A thunk to the forehead might send her away, but a near miss just brings her closer.

It might be better to have a walking stick to wave about and smack her on the noggin with if she got too close, and something like pepper spray if you're not actually carrying a gun through cougar infested territory. A pocket full of random fireworks and a decent lighter could have come in handy.

But yes, mama cats are evil and you are never big and scary enough.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
If you think a cougar is a handfull, try a cow moose when she has a young one. She'll come at you with those front hooves flashing, and man, she means business.

Most dangerous animal in the north as far as humans go. And you aint going to run her off with a slingshot. Think of a large gov. mule with a real mad on. Just pray for a tree with a limb or a downfall that you can back into. Ask these northerners which animal with young that they don't want to meet, they mostly all will agree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.