Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
Love me some slingshots.
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the ammo I shoot has been soaked in vinegar which removes the shiny outer coating and rust. However I just bought 100 rounds in 3/8 steel and I'm shooting them shiny and I just realized how slippery they are in the pouch compared to how they are when I soak them. It's definitely messing with my aim and consistency. Does anyone else prefer the matte finish over polished steel?

· Registered
The Slingin’ Cock 🐔
472 Posts
A lot of the ammo I shoot has been soaked in vinegar which removes the shiny outer coating and rust. However I just bought 100 rounds in 3/8 steel and I'm shooting them shiny and I just realized how slippery they are in the pouch compared to how they are when I soak them. It's definitely messing with my aim and consistency. Does anyone else prefer the matte finish over polished steel?
I never knew that, but I think I will try it soon!

· Registered
Love me some slingshots.
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I never knew that, but I think I will try it soon!
Yeah man maybe it was the combination of new ammo and a new pouch but I just went out to shoot and I was literally spending 20 plus seconds positioning the ball in my pouch which is unlikely for me but 95% of the time my ammo is gray in color and Matte in finish so it literally sticks right to the pouch and I didn't notice any difference in flight

· Registered
The Slingin’ Cock 🐔
472 Posts
Yeah man maybe it was the combination of new ammo and a new pouch but I just went out to shoot and I was literally spending 20 plus seconds positioning the ball in my pouch which is unlikely for me but 95% of the time my ammo is gray in color and Matte in finish so it literally sticks right to the pouch and I don't know this any difference in flight
I recently had a couple pouches that seemed really slippery, maybe it was the ammo the whole time and me not even realizing.

· Registered
4 Posts
I just mentioned this to my wife. What kind of vinegar do you use?

· Registered
Love me some slingshots.
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I’ve not really noticed a performance difference being shiny or not. I can see how that could be a thing though.
If the vinegar doesn’t cut it you can try using some Evaporust. Instant matte finish. And it’s reusable pretty much forever. I keep a jar of it I just toss my rusty balls in.
That's right I remember you saying this! I'll have to look into it.

· Registered
Love me some slingshots.
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't really have a problem with it but when I clean my ammo on occasion I'll put it in a plastic water bottle with a little water and shake, that usually make the ammo matte and less slippery.
I never really noticed until yesterday. Could have been the combo of new pouch new ammo and it being cold. But I sure had a heck of a time trying to get that ammo to stay put before release. It won't be long before they get soaked lol

· Registered
Love me some slingshots.
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes when I get new ammo it has an oil on it to keep it from rusting during delivery, it can take a little while for it to go away by itself.
Yeah I know I give them a good rub down before use because of that. But I don't think it was the oil this time could be my pouch it's the new blue ones from wasp

· Registered
Love me some slingshots.
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
95% of my shot is brand new when I release, as I shoot very little in to a catch box. I run thru a couple hundred pounds of 8mm steel per year this way and it is still cheaper than burning gunpowder.
Oh yeah I know I just never really noticed how slippery it was until yesterday but I believe it was just the right combination of things making that happen because I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds that were brand new to begin with and never had that issue until yesterday so I don't know lol. But I do prefer the matte finish over anything else it just seemed to lock right in

· Registered
590 Posts
Personally I’ve not really noticed a performance difference being shiny or not. I can see how that could be a thing though.
If the vinegar doesn’t cut it you can try using some Evaporust. Instant matte finish. And it’s reusable pretty much forever. I keep a jar of it I just toss my rusty balls in.
I just used some EvapoRust on some rusty ammo and it turned them black. It sort of rubs off but not easily. I was thinking that the Evaporust was exhausted as the label says use it until it turns black. Have you ever experienced that? Otherwise a great product.

· Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I just used some EvapoRust on some rusty ammo and it turned them black. It sort of rubs off but not easily. I was thinking that the Evaporust was exhausted as the label says use it until it turns black. Have you ever experienced that? Otherwise a great product.
Weird I’ve never had it turn them black. Just a dull gray like any other steel I put in there. The bottle says something like one qt will remove up to 6lbs of rust so it would have to be pretty darned used. How long did you leave the ammo in there for? Srry for all the questions I’m just curious now. Maybe it did overload it. Then again maybe my dark gray is your black lol. Let’s see what mine does. It doesn’t have a huge amount of use. I’m running a little experiment I’ll throw in the off topic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts