Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been having fun shooting small ammo in the past week, so I thought Id start a thread about my parameters. So I'm at 21', shooting 6mm steel from 1632 loops. I've also been shooting a 2040 frameless loop and that's alot of fun with small ammo. As a target Im tracing a CD, which gives me a half inch bullseye with about a 5" circle. Each target I try to get as tight a group as I can with 20 shots. If anyones interested I figured we could compare groupings considering we've all got a cd and a pen laying around so anyone can participate. Also, we can compare setups for launching small steel effectively.

Whats your small ammo setup?

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts
Well, I also am loving the Small Ball concept. Today I went out and did some speed testing, but I'm really liking the single 1636 tubes and 1/4" steel. My velocity today was 260fps+ and I will test tomorrow also to be sure those figures were correct. The looped 1636 tubes were just slightly faster, showing that the elastic was going at its natural speed for my draw length and the single tubes were still not dragging because of the weight of the ball.

Most of my shots are at barn window openings, and occasional can, a crack in a fence, that kind of stuff, usually at a distance of 15 yards to around 30 yards, with most shots in the 20-25 yard range by a long shot.

I do my best to take care of my pouch hold and my tube alignment, to be sure I hit the target or I'm very, very close to it ... I'm so done with the " Where did that one go " thing. Luckily have not had that in a long time ;- )

Ya, shooting small ball is really fun, especially if the sun is at your back and you are shooting a dark target so you can follow the path of the ball.

wll

·
See The Target
21,976 Posts
Ive been having fun shooting small ammo in the past week, so I thought Id start a thread about my parameters. So I'm at 21', shooting 6mm steel from 1632 loops. I've also been shooting a 2040 frameless loop and that's alot of fun with small ammo. As a target Im tracing a CD, which gives me a half inch bullseye with about a 5" circle. Each target I try to get as tight a group as I can with 20 shots. If anyones interested I figured we could compare groupings considering we've all got a cd and a pen laying around so anyone can participate. Also, we can compare setups for launching small steel effectively.

I've been shooting 1/4 inch steel lately . A touch bigger than 6mm . I was using single 1632 and that was plenty of latex to handle the 1/4's . I feel a looped set would a bit much seeing how the singles worked . After that I cut a set of flats from Theraband Black 3/4 " x 5/8 " taper . This is just about right for the 1/4 inch ammo . I am now shooting much more accurate and consistent than with the 1632 tubes . Target is a 1 1/2 inch spinner at 35 feet . So easy to shoot this light set up .

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, been waiting on something like this. i will shoot the pp taurus looped tuber with 1632 tubes and.25" steel
I forgot about my mini Taurus for this, could be a winner. Thanks for sharing hoggy

Reactions: hoggy and KawKan

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I also am loving the Small Ball concept. Today I went out and did some speed testing, but I'm really liking the single 1636 tubes and 1/4" steel. My velocity today was 260fps+ and I will test tomorrow also to be sure those figures were correct. The looped 1636 tubes were just slightly faster, showing that the elastic was going at its natural speed for my draw length and the single tubes were still not dragging because of the weight of the ball.

Most of my shots are at barn window openings, and occasional can, a crack in a fence, that kind of stuff, usually at a distance of 15 yards to around 30 yards, with most shots in the 20-25 yard range by a long shot.

I do my best to take care of my pouch hold and my tube alignment, to be sure I hit the target or I'm very, very close to it ... I'm so done with the " Where did that one go " thing. Luckily have not had that in a long time ;- )

Ya, shooting small ball is really fun, especially if the sun is at your back and you are shooting a dark target so you can follow the path of the ball.

wll
260 fps is quite zippy!

Thank for sharing :)

Reactions: hoggy and bingo

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I've been shooting 1/4 inch steel lately . A touch bigger than 6mm . I was using single 1632 and that was plenty of latex to handle the 1/4's . I feel a looped set would a bit much seeing how the singles worked . After that I cut a set of flats from Theraband Black 3/4 " x 5/8 " taper . This is just about right for the 1/4 inch ammo . I am now shooting much more accurate and consistent than with the 1632 tubes . Target is a 1 1/2 inch spinner at 35 feet . So easy to shoot this light set up .
I'll have to give those dimensions a go myself, I was just debating what cuts to band up my PP secret agent with for 6mm's.

Thanks Treefork :)

Reactions: hoggy

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to get a bag of heavyweight airsoft BBs as well they're one of my faves. Think I'll get some glow in the dark ' trader's ones this time :)

·
aka CYBORG
1,940 Posts

wll
The looped 1636 tubes were just slightly faster ...

I'm really curious about this wll, hoping to see more comparison chrony testing to know just how much of a performance increase occurs due to doubling the tubing. I don't have a chrony, but I get blazing and most satisfying speed with tuned 16 series singles launching quarters ... feels like they're made for each other.

·
Amateur
2,533 Posts
I like thin flats in the 0.45mm to 0.55mm range for the small stuff. I usually use somewhere around a 15 -10 taper with the thinner stuff and a 13 - 9 taper for the "thicker" stuff, but you'll need to do a little experimenting to see what works best for you and the latex you have. I typically shoot around a 36 inch draw. I have also used some narrow straight cuts of natural latex and thicker flat latex bands, but I prefer the thinner flats. Single/pseudo 1632 and single 1636 are also a good match for the small stuff.

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts

wll
The looped 1636 tubes were just slightly faster ...

I'm really curious about this wll, hoping to see more comparison chrony testing to know just how much of a performance increase occurs due to doubling the tubing. I don't have a chrony, but I get blazing and most satisfying speed with tuned 16 series singles launching quarters ... feels like they're made for each other.
Ward, I went out today, and set up the chrony for about three shots and got an average of 268fps ish as I remember with single 1636's,1/4" steel, a 6.2'5 active and a 32.5" draw.

You are very correct, I think the single 1636's and 1/4" steel go together very well, but the 5/16" come out flying nicely also, very doable although I did not chrono these, maybe tomorrow.

wll

·
Registered
249 Posts
This is a great thread. I'd love to get on board with this!

I've been shooting the yellow .55 mm bands Pocket predator sells (precise brand maybe) with both 5/16 and 3/8 steel. They come as a loop out of the box. You could probably get a 9" active length out of them if you wanted. I've been really getting my money's worth out of these bands. I have a 30" draw and the first round I cut them to about a 7.5" active length. It's a little slow for the 3/8 but shoots the 5/16 great out to 25 yards with an acceptable trajectory.

4e773b9dea5cbd375d18960190f1e4ce.jpg

I've done what many other people have suggested on the forum here and After they start to show wear at the pouch I cut and re tie that end. Each round obviously the speed goes up and the life goes down.

Once they get in the 6-7" IMO they are okay for 3/8. I don't have a chrony or anything so I just go off the trajectory and if it's fast enough I can keep the target above my reference point at the distance I'm shooting. I couldn't go much past 25 yards though without significant drop off.

Eventually they will get too short or tear somewhere besides the pouch and I toss them. The band on there now probably has 600 shots on it so far. Pretty good for a $1.12 band set.

It's been really windy here so I moved my setup into the garage where I can shoot from 24' I've been mainly going for a 2 cm spinner. But now you guys inspired me to Add paper. I made some CD bullseyes and shot two 10 rd groups with 3/8 from 24' this morning.

99e5ebd63fbef92f0608d5bcfcede175.jpg

I cheated and added an aiming reference cross to the second bull I shot, but it really helped tighten up my group.

I'm gonna do some 20 rd groups with 5/16 in this weekend hopefully and I'll ad those. photos as well.

Any tips on gettin cleaner holes on paper targets? These were taped to a cardboard backer. They Tend to tear rather than punch holes. Maybe it's cause my Ammo is moving relatively slow?

Haven't tried any 1/4s yet but I may buy a few to see how they do on this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I've been shooting the yellow .55 mm bands Pocket predator sells (precise brand maybe) with both 5/16 and 3/8 steel. They come as a loop out of the box. You could probably get a 9" active length out of them if you wanted. I've been really getting my money's worth out of these bands. I have a 30" draw and the first round I cut them to about a 7.5" active length. It's a little slow for the 3/8 but shoots the 5/16 great out to 25 yards with an acceptable trajectory.

I've done what many other people have suggested on the forum here and After they start to show wear at the pouch I cut and re tie that end. Each round obviously the speed goes up and the life goes down.

Once they get in the 6-7" IMO they are okay for 3/8. I don't have a chrony or anything so I just go off the trajectory and if it's fast enough I can keep the target above my reference point at the distance I'm shooting. I couldn't go much past 25 yards though without significant drop off.

Eventually they will get too short or tear somewhere besides the pouch and I toss them. The band on there now probably has 600 shots on it so far. Pretty good for a $1.12 band set.

It's been really windy here so I moved my setup into the garage where I can shoot from 24' I've been mainly going for a 2 cm spinner. But now you guys inspired me to Add paper. I made some CD bullseyes and shot two 10 rd groups with 3/8 from 24' this morning.

I cheated and added an aiming reference cross to the second bull I shot, but it really helped tighten up my group.

I'm gonna do some 20 rd groups with 5/16 in this weekend hopefully and I'll ad those. photos as well.

Any tips on gettin cleaner holes on paper targets? These were taped to a cardboard backer. They Tend to tear rather than punch holes. Maybe it's cause my Ammo is moving relatively slow?

Haven't tried any 1/4s yet but I may buy a few to see how they do on this setup.

Nice shooting man!

·
Master of Swine Fu
3,621 Posts

great shooting, great info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.