Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I downloaded the Smartphone Chrony app as described in this thread and finally had a chance to test it out today. Setting up the measurements and ammo stats wasn't all that difficult. I set up a piece of paper to shoot through to serve as the "muzzle" since the app is for airguns and slingshots are too quiet to register on the sound meter.

The minimum "muzzle to target" distance is 15' (180"), I set mine up at 190" and put the phone on a tripod right in the middle and 12" off the path of the ammo. I'm happy with the results I got. The fps measurement I got was right in line with what I expected. I hope we get this approved for the SSF Speed Freaks Club, I need more badges!

CCL1.jpg

·
0,0 Warningpoints Club
312 Posts
thats looking nice and easy to use.

hope that someone with a chrony test it soon and makes a vid.

and thank you for upload this.

greetings geko

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I tested my 5/8" steel+ 8-strand 2040 setup over this chrony. I shot four shots over it, each one was between 145-150fps and around 12ft/lb of energy :)

If I get the house to myself again sometime I'll test it in warmer conditions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi MJ, this seems to be really promising. I bought the full version of the app and it has a lot more features like unlimited shot strings and graphs which show your results. It also comes with a pellet database with a lot of entries but sadly you haven't the option to add ammo yourself. This would be a real cool feature to add various types of ammo one is shooting like steel balls, lead balls or marbles with its specific weight. I emailed the author of the app if can build in such a feature or knows a workaround. No answer so far :/ I also hope if someone with a chrony will do tests for comparison soon.

Cheers, Simon

·
"Crafter"
1,897 Posts
Great testing MJ. I just paid £100 for my shooting chrony and tbh its a nightmare getting the lighting correct.... If someone could validate the accuracy of the measurements I may be E baying my chrony...as you stated 202FPS is right in the ballpark...

·
Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
I downloaded the Smartphone Chrony app as described in this thread and finally had a chance to test it out today. Setting up the measurements and ammo stats wasn't all that difficult. I set up a piece of paper to shoot through to serve as the "muzzle" since the app is for airguns and slingshots are too quiet to register on the sound meter.

The minimum "muzzle to target" distance is 15' (180"), I set mine up at 190" and put the phone on a tripod right in the middle and 12" off the path of the ammo. I'm happy with the results I got. The fps measurement I got was right in line with what I expected. I hope we get this approved for the SSF Speed Freaks Club, I need more badges!
I'm hoping someone with a Chrony will test this app. I have the Apple app on my iPod Touch and as soon as I get over the feeling on imminent death created by my annual bout with pollen, I will test it. If I can pry my wife's Samsung Phone out of her hand for an hour or so, I'll test this app as well. So far, it looks good.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Great testing MJ. I just paid £100 for my shooting chrony and tbh its a nightmare getting the lighting correct.... If someone could validate the accuracy of the measurements I may be E baying my chrony...as you stated 202FPS is right in the ballpark...
use it outdoors or use incandescent or LED lighting, as fluorescent lighting distorts the readings on the chrony. hope this solves your issues.

cheers, remco

·
Adirondack Kyle
1,018 Posts
I just got the full version , you can put custom weight in grams or grains,
Also, there is a spot for custom ammo. Maybe there are diff versions of this app.
The only thing that sucks is it wont pick up on the release sound,
Mj, have you tried ttf? Its a little louder. Sadly, i wont be able to use mine till spring,
But i think it was 4 dollars well spent!!

·
"Mighty Can Smiter"
4,250 Posts
Font Number Electric blue Screenshot Darkness

I downloaded this pic, but the "start monitoring" button doesn't seem to work? Maybe I need to resize it?

I am sure someone else will try this before I get a chance, but that won't stop me from making a video of the app and chrony comparison... if all pans out, I think this would also be a great way to ensure, from time to time, if ones chrony is still in working order.

LGD

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Also, there is a spot for custom ammo. Maybe there are diff versions of this app.
Mj, have you tried ttf? Its a little louder. Sadly, i wont be able to use mine till spring,
I have also the full version and I got the spot for custom ammo too. But I can only use one entry all the time. It would be way better if you could add several different entries to the database like different sized balls.

attachicon.gif
CCL1.jpg

I downloaded this pic, but the "start monitoring" button doesn't seem to work? Maybe I need to resize it?

I am sure someone else will try this before I get a chance, but that won't stop me from making a video of the app and chrony comparison... if all pans out, I think this would also be a great way to ensure, from time to time, if ones chrony is still in working order.

LGD
I am looking forward to your video test, LGD! Always watching your vids and like them a lot. Hmm I don't get what you mean with "button not working" and "resizing" though.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the only way for a slingshot to register is to shoot through one piece of paper at your end and into a target. I was using printer paper but I suspect that newspaper would work as well and not have any chance of distorting the results since it's thinner.

Maybe it would make a loud enough noise on release if you used super-handslappy bands :) "<SMACK!> OUCH!"

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Good to see!

I saw someone say that the optimum setup is to have the phone as close to halfway between the "muzzle" and the target as possible, but don't quote me.

The first couple shots were pretty effectively spot on and the third was a bit of an outlier. I had that happen in my tests too. I was sure that it was registering too fast but didn't have a chrony to compare it. I think the main thing is that if you do everything the same (bands, draw and ammo) over three shots you should get consistent results.

I'm feeling more and more positive about the smartphone chrony!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.