Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked Smitty's Ghost he posted recently and I wanted to make one. I use CAD at work every day, so it is my software of choice. I pulled Smitty's JPEG into CAD and proceeded to scale the photo so I could make a 1:1 print. To resize it I only need one correct dimension, and I remembered with absolute confidence, that Smitty said it was 2-1/4" between the forks.

So I scaled the picture to precisely 2-1/4" between the forks, snapped my construction lines and arcs, made sure everything was tangent, and plotted out a life size copy. Quick trip to the garage, all sawed out and squared up. The whole process took about an hour. As I am congratulating myself on my keen efficiency I notice this seems a little big. So I open Smitty's post (oh yeah now I think of that) and, 2" between the forks is what Smitty said.

So I think to myself, "dumb*ss". But all is not lost. After rounding everything over and a few minor adjustments, it is a cool slingshot. I have average sized hands, I like the way it fits, plus I think Smitty's design is just cool. Cut out of ash, stained with red mahogany aniline dye, and about 10 coats of satin wipe on poly. As I have been doing with the shared designs, I added a counteresunk insignia under clear epoxy resin. Thanks Smitty, it is a fine addition to my collection.

Chuck S.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
. . . And what a collection it is! You're really getting some good use out of that ash board, aren't you? That really looks like a great shooter. Excellent!

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
Wow mxred, that is a fine bit of craftsmanship you did there! I gotta get me some different kinds of hardwood for a few slingshots. You did a great job.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Another great tribute shooter by Chuck. Nice work Bud. Love the color.
Philly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.