Slingshots Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll complicate issues more. I picked up a new luggage scale today and took some readings on my bands at 31".

.5 BSB white 27-18 , 6' active length------12.25#

.5 SSblack 27-18 , 6" active length-------13.75#

31" draw
Huh, maybe I should check my scale. It's been through a few drops and a couple of bow building blowups, but I've never had reason to question it, or check / calibrate it.
So I just checked my scale on a gallon of water. Store bought, may not be exactly a gallon and the thin plastic bottle doesn't add much compared to the water- so it should be close but probably not exact. The interwebs said it should weigh ~8.34 lbs and my scale called it 8.61 lbs- not perfect but not very far off and probably within the slop from the store fill and container.

So aside from a small sigh of relief over the bow I am currently working on, but I'm puzzled over our different numbers. And actually, the sigh over the current bow project is significant- after a few spectacular blowups with a hickory backed maple laminate I learned a few things and have one I am optimistic coming along. Hoping that what I am trying to make around 45 lbs won't come in at 31!

I wonder what could be causing the difference. The Simpleshot 0.5 I tested is nearly a year old, always stored in the dark but mostly at room temp (a couple months in a fridge at my office but half or more of the time at ambient temp in my garage, but always in the dark). And while it isn't a great check, my feeling from drawing all 4 brands of latex is that the scale got the relative weights right even if the absolute numbers are off.

But I think this is the strength of a forum like this- I appreciate hearing about the difference in our measurements and hope that figuring out the explanation for it will be enlightening.

I will recheck my numbers on the bands I tested later today or tomorrow to make sure I didn't have a silly mistake in how I measured.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I recently compared Precise 3rd 0.5 to 0.55, so I went back and looked at the numbers from that test as well. The tapers and elongation were the same (assuming I measured elongation exactly the same each time). And the numbers were off a bit but not much, I got 14.2 lbs for draw weight last time and 14.8 this time. Considering they were different band sets made at different times, and the difficulty I have measuring an initial draw weight before it starts to decay, these are pretty close. I'd be happy if they were closer, but not so far off. So if there is an error in my scale or method it's been happening consistently for a while. I can't recall putting numbers up for SS 0.5 in the past but I will check and see if I did that before, and if so, how it compares to this current test.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have not tried to calibrate the new scale yet but the last one was right on. Just so many variables involved but from the feel it confirms the lack of stacking I feel with the BSB vs the SS. Just a .25 difference in length translates into substantial differences when stretched 500 or 550%. I have tried to find out what my grip strength is holding the pouch without surrounding the ball and it's very hard to get consistent readings so I'm not surprised at the differences. After I started shooting a bow I always got a kick out of seeing the Indians in the old movies holding those bows pinching the arrows at full draw,,,,some strong dudes for sure :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I didn't re-test everything but did re-check a couple when I got home- the draw weight for the Simple and Sniper. I also re-measured the active length and even band width (I hadn't ever checked this since I assumed the plexiglass templates I ordered were accurate). I can't find a mistake. Band widths are as printed on the template, active length is what I intended (5.5" at 29" draw for ~550%, 5" at 29 for ~600%), and when I put them back on the Sideshooter frame and in the vise both pulled ~19 lbs at 29" with 600% elongation as before. Both also decayed ~1lb before the scale locked in a reading. I haven't checked to see if my rulers and yardstick are correct but..... I also was also shooting the sniper black and yellow a bit today so got the chrony back out and at 550% the black was putting 3/8" our at mid 230's as before and the sniper yellow on another everyday frame and it was putting 5/16" out in low 250's

I'm puzzled and intrigued.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have tried to find out what my grip strength is holding the pouch without surrounding the ball and it's very hard to get consistent readings so I'm not surprised at the differences. After I started shooting a bow I always got a kick out of seeing the Indians in the old movies holding those bows pinching the arrows at full draw,,,,some strong dudes for sure :)
I can't imagine pinch drawing a bow. And I have tried pinching the ball instead of the pouch with a slingshot- can do it with light bands but it gets hard for me pretty quickly. I have seen videos of people doing it and my hat is off to them. For now I am content to try to pinch lightly ahead of the ball keeping the unused fingers out of the way so that both the thumb and index finger can move when I release.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I agree. If I was trying to win a speed contest it would be the Sniper black. But the yellow is my favorite out of the four I compared here, very smooth draw and relatively light weight for keeping most of the speed. Although it is hard to go wrong with any of the four I tried.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Durability will be an interesting feature down the road , that's the one thing I have been disappointed about with the BSB. I didn't get 100 shots out of the bandset I made to match your 27-18 taper before it spit the bit at full draw about 2" from the pouch and left a nice hickey on my forearm :( Possible I nicked it somewhere and should have checked before drawing , however it has seemed on some less extreme tapers the BSB has higher failure rates than the Precise and SS I have used.

I did retie the SS black bands to a Torque frame and drew to 31" after tying at 5.5" and had draw weights between 15.35 and 14.68#. I calibrated my new scale with two 100 oz. Ag bars which should have a total weight of 13.72 pounds , it read 13.86, pretty close considering the plastic wrap and grocery bag I had them in. :)

No question I am going to have to try the Sniper yellow and black latex

·
Registered
482 Posts
Durability will be an interesting feature down the road , that's the one thing I have been disappointed about with the BSB. I didn't get 100 shots out of the bandset I made to match your 27-18 taper before it spit the bit at full draw about 2" from the pouch and left a nice hickey on my forearm :( Possible I nicked it somewhere and should have checked before drawing , however it has seemed on some less extreme tapers the BSB has higher failure rates than the Precise and SS I have used.

I did retie the SS black bands to a Torque frame and drew to 31" after tying at 5.5" and had draw weights between 15.35 and 14.68#. I calibrated my new scale with two 100 oz. Ag bars which should have a total weight of 13.72 pounds , it read 13.86, pretty close considering the plastic wrap and grocery bag I had them in. :)

No question I am going to have to try the Sniper yellow and black latex
I'll check and see how much I have, I can probably send you some if you're interested? I'm sure you'll wanna compare it while the topic's hot.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The Sniper black bands I used for the test broke just ahead of the pouch tie today in the 4th session. Granted they had been abused a bit at 600% elongation and probably went 200-300 shots, but this is still a bit early compared to my usual norm I am used to with the Precise 3rd I have been using for a while. I had the chrony out and they were still holding low to mid 230's when they gave it up. The yellow is still hanging in there and also holding it's snap and speed.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Nice! I mean crappy for the blacks but still. And like you said you have them pretty hot
I am betting the would have made the week at 550%, and probably a good bit longer at 500%, so not so bad at all even if a bit less than I am used to with the Precise 3rd. Will see how long the yellows hold out. I got called out of town but packed the frame with the yellows on it so will see if I can keep on shooting them, and preserving my sanity, over the next few days.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here are some results for Snipersling yellow and black with some more traditional tapers. The yellow was speed tested on a hot afternoon, right around 100 degrees, and the black on a "cool" June desert morning in the mid 70's.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don’t have enough experience with ammo velocities yet but from the few YouTube videos I’ve seen, that would make something up in the 250’s pretty darned fast, correct? It’s interesting to see the difference in the FPS of the black and the yellow too, considering the palpable difference in draw weight. Pretty close it looks like. Unless that temperature difference had a major impact on them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
250's is not bad for 5/16" from a short draw. Not a world record by any means but not bad. For my short draw, I am very happy to get 7/16" over 220, 3/8" over 235, and 5/16 over 250. Any bands that do this are keepers for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The Snipersling yellow bands gave it up today, broke right near the pouch. I was out of town for a few days with no shooting, so the yellow made it through five or six sessions. Not a record for longevity but not bad. All around really happy with the performance.

·
Ray Rowden
2,360 Posts
I'm loving your data drops!
Especially since you include the draw weights. This really adds perspective in terms of shooting experience. The lighter ammo seems to produce small gains in speed for the draw weight penalty of wider bands.
Thanks again for sharing this!

Here are some results for Snipersling yellow and black with some more traditional tapers. The yellow was speed tested on a hot afternoon, right around 100 degrees, and the black on a "cool" June desert morning in the mid 70's.

View attachment 350531

21 - 39 of 39 Posts