Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought a lot of Snipersling darts and they are superb.
I've got 20 of the older version with glued on fletchings and 110 of the new version with the moulded flights.
I've repaired one of the older types, a fletching became torn and I was able to remove it and put on a replacement made from a cut-down arrow fletching, it worked out perfectly.
I was thinking about repairing a new type dart, then I started to think maybe I could make one.
I ordered some 3mm carbon fibre rod, 6mm & 5mm aluminium rods, 6mm HSS steel rod and 10 tonne hydraulic crimping tool.
I used my micro lathe (2.5") to make the aluminium parts, they're mostly a copy except that the grip on the Snipersling dart is actually a very loose screw thread - I just put rings spaced along the knob.
I used my big lathe (10") to make the steel tip, setting the compound slide 10 degrees off angle cut the pointed tip and the string notch was cut in with a die grinder.
The flights were 3D printed, having taken measurements from the Snipesling flights.
Assembly was just a case of fitting the parts in the correct order and using the crimping tool to secure the metal parts in place.
The dart is pretty close copy to the Snipersling and shoots just as well.
In total I spent about 4 hours making this one dart, it was my first one so another would be quicker because I've figured everything out already. But I'm not intending to make another at the moment, it was an exercise for me to see if I could do it.
I have to say that at just under £4 each delivered from China, the Snipesling darts really are a bargain and this project has made me appreciate them all the more! I will be ordering more and now I know I can repair and rebuild if necessary.
Fluid Automotive lighting Vehicle door Gas Door
Automotive tire Tire Bicycle fork Bicycle part Bumper
Hand Vision care Eyewear Finger Cosmetics

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
That was a pretty cool venture to see if you could replicate those darts to that extent! On a related side note, I noticed a while ago you were selling your dragonscale glove. Did you decide you preferred the other one they sell or are you going “commando” these days?

·
See The Target
22,433 Posts
That was a pretty cool venture to see if you could replicate those darts to that extent! On a related side note, I noticed a while ago you were selling your dragonscale glove. Did you decide you preferred the other one they sell or are you going “commando” these days?
He's using this one
Sleeve Guitar accessory Belt String instrument accessory Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I did list the dragonscale glove for sale but then withdrew it.
I was initially disappointed with the material that they used, it seemed too ready to fray at the edges and I was concerned about how long the scales would stay attached. Then I decided to have another look at the glove and to test its durability. I tried to pull off a scale and couldn't do it, so I decided to cut off a scale and found that the attachment string was some sort of kevlar and was incredibly tough. Then I re-attached the scale with twine and that proved easy enough to do.
Finally I looked at the fraying problem - turns out that the glove is made from a dense kevlar weave and the bit that frayed was a thin layer of black fabric bonded to the kevlar (I guess it's for comfort against the skin). There was no hem around the edges of the glove, so I sewed around the edges of the finger loops and little way up either side with blanket stitch and that has prevented the black fabric fraying any further.
So now I'm happy with the Dragonscale glove, it does give full protection in a compact and light glove and it can be maintained and repaired if required (and me being as I am I've bought 10 more, "just in case")

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couldn't resist it.
It took maybe twice as long to make these extra four as it did the first one.
A lot of the time with machining is taken up by setting up and changing tools, so batch manufacture is much quicker - whilst you have the drill fitted, drill all four and when the parting knife is in part off all four.
Product Wood Grey Composite material Tints and shades

Reactions: Rb1984
1 - 8 of 8 Posts