Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My four-year-old daughter sees me shooting all the time. She loves to sit there--behind the screen door, of course, and wearing her swimmy goggles--and watch as I snipe cans, crows, and bottles with Roland, my store-bought yet faithful Daisy B52. She's the best audience a guy could ask for; even when I miss, she cheers me on. Anyway, she asked me for a slingshot...and I had no response. It was if my mind said, "Yeah, okay, screw this--I'm outta here, Bub." I told her that I'd talk to mommy, and that we'd think about it. Her mother said that it was up to me, which is the Smooch of Death for me, because I'm only 25, and I know that I'm too young to fully trust my judgment, even though I have a college education, etc, etc…
What do I do? Is there some kind of "Safety" Slingshot I can make for her? Furthermore, what type of ammo should she use, if there is a good option for her?
Thanks for listening, and I'll be keeping up on the topic. Happy Shooting!

This is the look she gave me when I told her I'd have to ask her mother first.

Attachments

Reactions: leon13

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mini marshmallows (so fun indoors) and some 1/2" bands.

This is for the 7 year old daughter of a friend of mine. You could probably tone down the bands a whole lot more if you wanted to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really nice. Just out of curiosity, what is the approximate circumference of the handle? My daughter's very tall for her age, but also dainty, as in she has small hands.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's really nice. Just out of curiosity, what is the approximate circumference of the handle? My daughter's very tall for her age, but also dainty, as in she has small hands.
I don't have a proper tape measure so I had to use a piece of string and a ruler.

Around the thinnest part right under the fork came out to 4 inches total. Round the thickest part was about 5ish. That sling is made from 3/4" Alder. The handle measures just shy of 1 1/2" on the widest part. If she's hammer gripping it I don't think she'll have a problem with a sling with the same dimensions. I have to use finger support grip to shoot it, otherwise it feels like trying to hammer grip a pencil to me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And what type of bands were on that model? Sorry I forgot to ask earlier.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Groovy, man. I think I'll end up threading it with Theraband Tan, as that is the weakest type, as far as I know. Her mother would eat my skull for breakfast if I gave her anything more powerful than that, lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, might be a good idea. You can do the same thing with the silver theraband by cutting the bands longer to begin with so she can't pull the bands to full tension. When she gets better and more responsible you can shorten the bands to give them more oomph.It'll leave a little growing room if she doesn't get bored with it real fast.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an idea, put a lanyard on it, so if she accidentally lets go of the frame or it slips from her hand while the bands are drawn back, there is no danger to her.
Great idea, Hrawk. That issue never occured me. Thanks for that, Bud.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, might be a good idea. You can do the same thing with the silver theraband by cutting the bands longer to begin with so she can't pull the bands to full tension. When she gets better and more responsible you can shorten the bands to give them more oomph.It'll leave a little growing room if she doesn't get bored with it real fast.
I was thinking about twelve inch long, 1.5 inch Tan bands for her slinger. I'm sure that would be reasonably safe.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Long bands of thera silver and below will probably be ok. The ones on that sling are around 9 inches long I think. You can send a mini mallow clear across the room and if it hits something it'll just bounce off with a flop.

Kinda funny when you semi-butterfly it. The mallow actually bounces more than once.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wondering: Is there anywhere to get a roll of Thera-Band (gold or otherwise) for less than $150.00? I was going to buy an exercise band for my daughter's Slinger, but I'd prefer buying a large amount. Sorry if I'm bugging you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Something small light that she can shoot comfortably did I spell that right LOL but yea you know thats the greatest gift your daughter wanting a sling great to start her at that age B-safe with it light bands she will not get frustrated. close distance targets.
As she gets older she will have one up on the boys in that sport so cool right now your little girl later another Woman shooter but enjoy the time with her as its a great gift sharing time a DAD with his Daughter/ Little Girl Post a Photo or VIdeo.
OOPs should I say a Great woman shooter. Congrats ...

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Chained rubberbands are great for kids slingshots, too. Both of my kids started with #32 bands chained 2-1 (2 links at the fork, one at the pouch) and airsoft pellets. You can buy a box of like 2500 of them at Walmart for $6 or so.
Remember, you want it to be safe enough but you want it to be at least a little fun, too! 12" Thera tan? I bet that won't even get the ammo out of the forks. She wants to shoot because you shoot and you shoot because it's fun. Let her have some fun, too. Kids aren't made of glass. Set her up with a little frame (preferably one she can hammer grip) with aset of chained bands on it so she can put a hole in a piece of paper from 15' or make a can go "plink" when she hits it with an airsoft or a .177bb later.
The best safety device is you. If you're out there with her then you have much less to worry about.
http://slingshotforum.com/topic/4987-you-shoot-like-a-little-girl/

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
She can have one shown below.

I think any young ones first, need clear, firm instruction and consequences, about the use of anything that can harm. My dad did a great job of this with his clear firm instructions with knives and guns so I know the affect good instruction has.

I have had my friends quite young ones shooting slingshots at my house. They were shooting BBs with my magnetized pouch. All were wearing safety glasses. The biggest challenge with young ones is the loading, holding and releasing the pouch, meaning fork hits and return to sender potentials.

Here are some cattys I made to help attract attention to my magnetic pouches. I stopped showing these as they were much like a former vendor was selling but he is now out of business so any of these I will send with a magnetic pouch and band set.

I am guessing you will commandeer the band set but let the little one pick one of the cattys in the First photo.

These are available
Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Font

This is a good pic to show more of what they are like from a different angle
Wood Font Plastic Electric blue Pattern

Attachments

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
I just want to reiterate about the lanyard. My 3-year-old grandson drew back and let go of the slingshot instead of the pouch and got a good bonk on his forehead.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts