Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My pouches keep failing because the holes I punch in them aren't clean. They start tearing open after some use.

This thing you find in the bazaar (or online) just isn't up to the job. It's all jiggly wiggly and the business end meets the plate at an angle which makes it a bad product. I put in heavy nuts and a bolt (both of which I made at home).. it solved the jiggly wiggly thing but I still hate it.

15867640030773.jpg

This being the Era of the Lockdown, with me being at home, I thought I'd do something about it.

So I made my own punch (size 6 mm). It leaves a CLEAN hole .. a bigger hole than I could have had with the other one.... I just need to give it a whack with a hammer. Less effort, better result.... steel never lets me down.

15867640030482.jpg

15867640030211.jpg

15867640029470.jpg

Might make a larger one. Maybe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Got any pics of a finished pouch.
Not right now, I'm afraid. I just created the thing like a few hours ago.....

Do you cut the pouch by hand? And then punch the holes?
Yep. I get a template or I use the pouch one of my "Walmart Wrist-Rockets" (even though we don't have Walmarts here) came with as a template and use scissors to cut.

And then I punch the holes. Which wasn't happening the way I wanted it to happen. Until now, that is.

I haven't got decent leather right now but I have a ton of silicone sheet... around 3-5 mm thick... that I am thinking of making a pouch with. Allah only known what will happen to projectile but I am hopeful.

If the silicone works, I am ditching leather forever.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
How you going to get the leather/silicone out of the tube after cutting a few?
The silicone is in the form of pre-made sheets or mats. It's not in any tube. I can cut the fabric into any shape I want.

I don't have to get a silicone tube and squeeze it out and wait for it to dry.

It's night here and I don't like working nights.... In the morning I'll see if I can dig out some fake leather I got somewhere and show how the punch works. I'll also use it on some silicone.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The silicone is in the form of pre-made sheets or mats. It's not in any tube. I can cut the fabric into any shape I want.

It's night here and I don't like working nights.... In the morning I'll see if I can dig out some fake leather I got somewhere and show how the punch works. I'll also use it on some silicone.
I meant the tube that you built to punch holes. The little round 24cal. dots are going to go inside the tube. how you going to get them out?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I meant the tube that you built to punch holes. The little round 24cal. dots are going to go inside the tube. how you going to get them out?
Ah.

The punch is hollow, mate... got a hole running down the length of it. I can push whatever might be stuck inside by ramming a pin, nail or tube down the other end. I'll try it out in the morning.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
My first punch was like that from Hobby Lobby and it quickly bent. I took it to the grinder and ground off the axle heads, freeing the star. I took a cheap screwdriver apart and used the handle on the punch opposite of the one I wanted and whacked it with a hammer. It worked fine until I could get a good one from Tractor Supply.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It took me like 10 minutes to whip this punch/tool up. I'm confidant mine won't bend unless I hit it with a sledgehammer. And if it does, I'll make another from another scrap piece of metal lying around. :naughty:

Anyway, I used it and here are the pics:

One blank is some kind of fake leather the other is silicone.

15868496528330.jpg

I used the bazaar bought punch to show you... the hole is small (this is the largest it can make) and it's only partially cut. I can of course move the pouch around to cut the hole all the way.... it still doesn't give me an optimal result.

15868544238660.jpg

Now then... here we go using my homemade tool this time.

IMG-20200414-WA0006.jpg

See the difference between the low quality partial hole and the clean hole on the right.

IMG-20200414-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20200414-WA0008.jpg

Both holes done. Clean.

IMG-20200414-WA0010.jpg

Now for the other one.

IMG-20200414-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200414-WA0001.jpg

Cleaning out the tool. I push some stiff wire down the other end.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
15868563398092.jpg

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
15868563397861.jpg

15868563397410.jpg

Tool clean.

15868547350481.jpg

Silicone pouch should work fine.

15868629517580.jpg

15868600399240.jpg

Before the lock-down, I stupidly ordered a flashy sniper type slingshot from China. If I believe the online guys, I should be getting it today or tomorrow (most likely not). When I do, I'll use this pouch on that one and see how it performs.

---------------------------

Ha! Just found out... bloody lockdown extended for another 2 weeks! Ha ha... no Chinese slingshot for me!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts