Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a selection of solid tube in the mail today. 5mm, 4.5mm, 3mm, and 2.5mm...a Smörgåsbord of color and thickness. Planned to shoot some of the smaller ammo I have with it - 6mm, 7.5mm and 8mm but I think the 5mm should be good for something a little larger. Interested to see what is what with the solid rubber tube in looped and single strand configuration....

Wood Paint Gas Font Recreation

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have fun testing your setups! 2.5mm solid singles should pair nicely with 6mm steel.

Do you have tubes 1632, 2040 to compare?

I recently got some solid 3mm. It seemed heavier and slower than 1632... Your results may vary... Whatever the case, these solids have a very long life span.
Yes, I have 1632-1636-2040 to compare, but like you, its by the senses - it will be interesting. Definitely a long life span for a short draw like myself. The looped set on the 'Target Hunter' in the pic came in a package as pouch tie material over a month or so ago. I've been thinking its 2mm and been using 6mm with good success - now I can see its more like 3mm when I compare with what I received. Haven't notiiced any major elasticity issues with it whatever size it may be - pretty consistent POA and POI over the period. I liked it so much I bought what you see!

· Registered
519 Posts
I got some of this 3mm cord too. Because of a shoulder problem I now use light pulls, I assembled cones from this cord and got the following speeds:
6 mm steel, mass 1 gram, V=92.4 m/s.
8 mm, mass 2 grams, V=81.1
9 mm, 3 grams, V=69.9, I think that with groups of normal stiffness would easily get 10 m/s more.
Overall I liked the material, very elastic, and apparently the bands will last a long time.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got some of this 3mm cord too. Because of a shoulder problem I now use light pulls, I assembled cones from this cord and got the following speeds:
6 mm steel, mass 1 gram, V=92.4 m/s.
8 mm, mass 2 grams, V=81.1
9 mm, 3 grams, V=69.9, I think that with groups of normal stiffness would easily get 10 m/s more.
Overall I liked the material, very elastic, and apparently the bands will last a long time.
..."psuedocones"!!!!!...Thanks!

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The square solid seems to be popular in the UK. Is solid rubber popular anywhere else? I don't see it talked about alot. I am interested to see how you like it.
Never seen 'square solid' even in the [online] shops I visit, but if the sizes are in mm, wondering how the same sizes compare in speed etc to the circular/tube solid.

· Registered
590 Posts
I
Never seen 'square solid' even in the [online] shops I visit, but if the sizes are in mm, wondering how the same sizes compare in speed etc to the circular/tube solid.
I have seen pictures of it in Slingshot World magazine which is from the UK. I think I have seen it on a few Chinese websites too. Where did you get the round stuff?

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I

I have seen pictures of it in Slingshot World magazine which is from the UK. I think I have seen it on a few Chinese websites too. Where did you get the round stuff?
China. Aliexpress. 2m lengths. Have recently bought some 2mm from Dankung also.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
The square solid seems to be popular in the UK. Is solid rubber popular anywhere else? I don't see it talked about alot. I am interested to see how you like it.
Tai rubber is sort of like the squares, Spanish gum rubber is also similar I think. I'm pretty sure that proshot sells squares.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Subjective Observations:

Prior to the purchase of the smorgasbord, I thought I was shooting 6mm steel with a natural looped 2mm solid bandset. This '2mm' solid - on the sling in the initial pic - came from a pack of 10m GMBW 1842 and was meant for pouch tie. I now know this 2mm solid I was shooting to be about a 3mm solid. I dont have a chrono. All subjective non-scientific observations.

The blue solid in the initial pic is advertised as 2.5mm and in looped I shot 6mm steel and 9mm clay with it - the blue is okay over 10m with 6mm and clay. Fast and flat enough out of the pouch for some pleasant target shooting at 10m.

A looped bandset made of 2mm solid bought from Dankung [advertised as a 5m length of pouch tie material and not in the initial pic] shot 6mm steel and the clay similar to the blue 2.5mm solid over 10m.

The red solid is advertised as 3mm and in looped shoots 6mm and 7.5mm and 8mm steel. I thought a single strand 1632 shooting 7.5mm steel and red 3mm solid in looped shooting 7.5mm steel were very similar.

The green solid...
4.5mm Green Solid Subjective Observations.
Shot 4.5mm solid rubber single-strand, 150mm ABL on a Marksman frame over 10m. Compared it generally against some 1.2mm, 1mm, 0.8 and 0.7 flatband.

12mm steel, 11mm steel, and some [approx] 10mm lead flew with a visible trajectory [I thought 1.2mm Precise flatband shot the lead and 12 mm and 11mm steel much faster/flatter. 1mm 'generic' flatband shot the lead and 12mm steel about the same as the 4.5mm solid. 1mm flatband shot the 11mm much faster and flatter than 4.5mm solid.

The 3/8" [9.5mm] steel shot with the 4.5mm solid flew fast...couldn't really see it except for the t-shirts in the catchbox moving, or occasional target [that I wasn't aiming for] getting thwacked. I'll be using 4.5mm solid for 9.5mm but on a more stable platform [the Marksman frame was flexing a bit too much.]

In general I'd compare the 4.5mm solid to a 0.7 cut around 22/15 or an 0.8 around 20/12 or so.

Conclusion.
Last long. Shoot quiet. Nice colors. Very happy experimenting with the smorgasbord.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts