Slingshots Forum banner

Some new prototyping...

950 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Soske 
#1 ·
Glad I got back into tinkering with slingshots again, really fun making designs and testing out new concepts. Heres one of the three basic designs I tested after work yesterday. Very convenient using layers of thin mdf for prototypes, It will for sure break if used but at this stage I just want to explore diffrent ergonomic shapes and design solutions with a material thats cost efficient and lightning fast to machine. When finding a final basic shape that Im happy with, the next step is to add details and choose material for a first real/shootable prototype. This very design doesnt really make it due to not beeing very unique in its overall approach and still having some ergonomical flaws. So its probably time to clear the work table from this design and start all over again, the fun work continues...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thats very cool. I do find with some designs the 'feel' can be quite different under draw. So it may be worth also testing with string etc. attached to feel what its like under load in the hand.
Thanks Mattwalt,

youre absolutely right, thats very important for sure. Many steps involved trying to make an ergonomically "optimized" design. What I like with this unshootable mdf-samples is the manufacturing speed and that it gives a first hint of where the design is heading and what geometries to keep, change or remove.

Slingshots are soo great, I love that you either could engineer it to the max or just slap some bands on a treebranch and go for it.

#6 ·
I do envy you modern-day engineering types! I am still trying to optimize my own style of sling makery using the 'Keller' Method of building. I study the material I want to use, but on a blindfold, and use the sensitivity of my touch combined with a touch of The Force. After 2.5 years of hacking I am up to about a 22% success rate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I do envy you modern-day engineering types! I am still trying to optimize my own style of sling makery using the 'Keller' Method of building. I study the material I want to use, but on a blindfold, and use the sensitivity of my touch combined with a touch of The Force. After 2.5 years of hacking I am up to about a 22% success rate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Well done! 22% success rate sounds really good (even with the help of computers).

Keep up the good work and dont forget to repeat the mantra: -I´m one with the Force. the Force is with me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.