Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One word that has jumped out at me while watching videos on making and installing band sets and pouches is, fiddly. While doing these things is not hard it is definitely, as the Brits say, fiddly. Tying the bands on my Wasp Uniphoxx was pretty straightforward until one side slipped off. Turned out I didn't stretched the tie band enough. As practiced, I gathered the tools. Roller cutter, mat, metal ruler, clamps, TB Gold, scrap leather from a leather goods store. I was ready to launch into catapulting.

Who knew cutting latex with a pizza cutter could be so damn "fiddly"? I had a ruler. My first cut while riding along my ruler ended up with a curved line. I laughed out loud.

Then I wasn't paying attn: and after I got the bands on I realized they were way to short. A little less laughing.

Jig. I need a jig. You really don't think you need a jig until you try to attached your first pouch. I am gonna make a jig.

One band started twisting inward as I shot. Fiddled with it and got back square.

Hitting the can hanging in my first catch box with the first band set I made was all worth it. Can't wait to keep on fiddlin'.

·
Registered
574 Posts
There is a lot to learn, (much of it by trial and error), to becoming proficient with the slingshot. It can be frustrating at times, with many high and low points. Everyone will have their own personal journey in pursuit of its mastery.

However, if you have a passion for it, and you persist, you will be rewarded with a useful and enjoyable skill that, (at least in my world), few others will have.

As 'Devil's son in law' said: "Hang in there and have fun!"

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
It's definitely an interesting journey, but hold on to your sense of humor and sometimes a bottle of beer helps.

The band side does get easier, I have a couple of tapered rules which make it much easier to cut straight. I also have one of those red square jigs that can be just as fiddly at first or romany custom catapults has a great YouTube on how to tie bands without a jig.

Pecker up old chap and don't worry when people give you strange looks for laughing out loud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely an interesting journey, but hold on to your sense of humor and sometimes a bottle of beer helps.

The band side does get easier, I have a couple of tapered rules which make it much easier to cut straight. I also have one of those red square jigs that can be just as fiddly at first or romany custom catapults has a great YouTube on how to tie bands without a jig.

Pecker up old chap and don't worry when people give you strange looks for laughing out loud.
Great advice! will definitely check out the video. Cheers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can relate. A true "newbie" here. I'm at the "fiddly" stage still--I'll fiddle with it and then wind up buying ready-made bands from somewhere. Less "fiddlin'" and more shooting that way. But I am determined to learn how to make and tie on my own bands; it's like a rite of passage. And when it's too dark or cold to shoot, fiddlin' with my slings and bands is great fun!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I definitely used to HATE making band sets because I wanted things to be perfect, and it took forever to make everything perfect.

Now I don't mind making band sets so much. Some things I can recommend are: Noah22x taper ruler for cutting tapers very quick and easy(sounds like from your post, this is a "must-have"), a good fabric cutter for cutting the latex, and a pouch-to-band tying jig.

It used to take forever, and be all fiddley just to make 1 or 2 bandsets, now I'm pumping out 5 or 6 bandsets at a wack no problem. Good luck, I know how you feel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I definitely used to HATE making band sets because I wanted things to be perfect, and it took forever to make everything perfect.

Now I don't mind making band sets so much. Some things I can recommend are: Noah22x taper ruler for cutting tapers very quick and easy(sounds like from your post, this is a "must-have"), a good fabric cutter for cutting the latex, and a pouch-to-band tying jig.

It used to take forever, and be all fiddley just to make 1 or 2 bandsets, now I'm pumping out 5 or 6 bandsets at a wack no problem. Good luck, I know how you feel
Thanks for the recommendations. That taper ruler sounds perfect. Looking forward to whipping out a bandset with ease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Great advice! will definitely check out the video. Cheers.
That video was kind of a head slap. I was wishing I had thought of that on my own. Great recommendation. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
It's usually the simple way that escapes us at first lol The amount of trial and errors I've made is countless. Eventually it all clicks into place, then it's landing the shot that is the challenge. Glad it was of help

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Band set makery is actually a bit fun for me after a year.

Good luck... I recommend making a Youtube playlist for each part of flippery.

Band set making
Fork attachment
Etc

Cheers
And thanks for all the good UK slang. We use fiddly in Tennesee, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts