Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings SlingshotForum friends!

Today was blowgun practice day. As I do every time I finish shooting with it, it's time to clean and maintain this beautiful Cold Steel weapon. I thought it would be nice to show you some photos about my way of maintain my blowgun well cared.

Every 10 to 20 darts shot, I clean my blowgun inside of its tube. This has to be done in order to dry the bore out of humidity created by your breath and saliva. Also other things can accumulate, depending on which target you're using (bits of sand, soil, wood, paper, etc.)

By the end of each shooting session, I clean the blowgun before I unscrew its two parts and store it. This is my method:

I take a piece of thread or cord, preferably a very resistant one, with about 2 meters in length. On one end, I tie something a bit heavy like a sinker. In the photos, I'm using an hex nut. On the other end, an hangman's knot. On this knot, I tie a papel towel or tissue, folded in such a way to create some pressure inside the tube walls. I throw the weight (hex nut) by the muzzle or mouthpiece side and pull the paper, slowly but firmly (you don't want the paper to get stuck inside the blowgun. It's a pain in the rear to get it out)

Once you've pulled it, take a peek inside. You'll find it crystal clean! (you can also soak the paper in silicon oil, if you're storing the blowgun for a prolonged amount of time)

Creative arts Art Rectangle Pattern Electric blue
Hand Wood Finger Safety glove Wrist
Sleeve Line Net Grass Pattern
Hand Sleeve Body jewelry Gesture Finger
Furniture Chair Table Line Wood
Hand Gesture Finger Wood Thumb

To lubricate the milled thread parts, I use some sewing machine oil. To clean the darts, both the cones and shaft, I use some silicon oil, which is compatible with plastic and metal alike. I use a standard cleaning pad, the ones with double sides. I use the green polishing side on the dart metal parts. This can take away all the dirt and resin that sometimes is on the darts when you shoot them into a tree.

Table Liquid Tableware Textile Fluid
Calipers Cutting mat Musical instrument String instrument accessory String instrument

Please, show us your blowgun maintenance and cleaning methods!!

It's always good to learn some more new hacks!!

Cheers ...Q

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
We use to apply wax to the aluminum slide tables that we used for stacking lumber. With a good coat of wax coating all of the molecules in the barrel, I'll bet it would more than double the speed by increasing the vacuum, while polishing the barrel to a slick mirror finish. You would need to coat a swab of the correct size with the wax and pull it thru a bunch of times, but the results should be really impressive :)

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We use to apply wax to the aluminum slide tables that we used for stacking lumber. With a good coat of wax coating all of the molecules in the barrel, I'll bet it would more than double the speed by increasing the vacuum, while polishing the barrel to a slick mirror finish. You would need to coat a swab of the correct size with the wax and pull it thru a bunch of times, but the results should be really impressive :)
Wow!! That's a nice idea. Never heard of that one.

What kind of wax you would be referring to? Can you post some photos of it?

Cheers ...Q

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just use blocks of bee's wax but it will take some looking... it might be really easy with some liquid ski wax, I'll look around a bit this afternoon if I have time. We might be closing on the house today, so we have our hands full :)
Thanks for your interest, my friend! :wave:

Cheers ...Q

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A piece of cloth will be better than paper towel! I like the idea of coating the barrel in silicon oil.
Yes, sometimes I do it with a cloth. When I'm on the field shooting it I use instead paper towels.

Silicon oil is great for a variety of materials. If you use other oil than that in plastic, the dart cones might suffer with that (they can dry and loose elasticity).

Cheers ...Q

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
On the topic of shooting devices using tubes, have any of you given firecracker guns a try?

You know, this sort of thing (age restricted video, thanks to the YouTube "verboten" censorship):

LOL!!! Ok, there's some heavy stuff here :D

Now imagine loading a firecracker on a blowgun and A) blowing it like a dart or B ) loading it with the dart inside and waiting for it to propel the dart.

Of course it would have to be done with a small caliber blowgun, I think.

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
On the topic of shooting devices using tubes, have any of you given firecracker guns a try?

You know, this sort of thing (age restricted video, thanks to the YouTube "verboten" censorship):

Yup, we used to build them as kids out of a short piece of 3/4" iron pipe with threads cut on one end. We would hacksaw some out on the thread side, slide the firecracker in, then use a piece of cloth around a marble and ram it down. We made pistols and rifles out of them. It worked great, then got into black powder when we got older... Then... we started making dry ice bombs. Take a plastic soda bottle, fill it a third full at the most of dry ice. Hold the cap in one hand, pour an inch or so of water in, over the dry ice, it starts spraying CO² right away, so quickly put the cap on tight and then toss it at your friend... and Boom :)
It works on any size plastic bottles, the bigger, the louder... a 2ltr bottle sounds like a cannon going off :)

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yup, we used to build them as kids out of a short piece of 3/4" iron pipe with threads cut on one end. We would hacksaw some out on the thread side, slide the firecracker in, then use a piece of cloth around a marble and ram it down. We made pistols and rifles out of them. It worked great, then got into black powder when we got older... Then... we started making dry ice bombs. Take a plastic soda bottle, fill it a third full at the most of dry ice. Hold the cap in one hand, pour an inch or so of water in, over the dry ice, it starts spraying CO² right away, so quickly put the cap on tight and then toss it at your friend... and Boom :)
It works on any size plastic bottles, the bigger, the louder... a 2ltr bottle sounds like a cannon going off :)
LOL!!! :D "Dry Ice" Amazing!!!!

There's still redemption for mankind :D

Where do you live, sir? Perhaps I can go over your house and have a blast!!!

Cheers ....Q

·
Registered
658 Posts

LOL!!! Ok, there's some heavy stuff here :D

Now imagine loading a firecracker on a blowgun and A) blowing it like a dart or B ) loading it with the dart inside and waiting for it to propel the dart.

Of course it would have to be done with a small caliber blowgun, I think.
I will choose Option B!

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Reed Lukens
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.