Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So, here is one that was a pretty special build for me. I was contacted about one of my resin and wood tiny turtle builds early last year, but that particular sling was already spoken for, so I offered to do a completely different build instead. I said that I wanted to change things up a bit for this one and wanted a bit of time to experiment with different things for this one. Some of those, like the pine cones I've done recently, you guys have seen. I was asked to use some G10 in this one, so that's what the black core is. I made some red paper micarta spacers to sandwich that. I used some wood cookies of oak, hickory, and cedar, as well as an acorn cap, and pine cones. These were all set in clear casting resin. Next, I cut the turtle design from all this, shaped the sides evenly, and routered the edges. A great deal of sanding followed this. Finally (sort of) I had a coat of automotive clear sprayed over the surface. At this point, I should have been finished, but a coworker dropped the sling on a hard concrete floor and I soon noticed a small crack in the resin. I used a dremel and a wood carving bit to remove this crack, added more resin, sanded smooth again, and had the finish reapplied. A bit of buffing, and here we have it!! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
Hey guys! So, here is one that was a pretty special build for me. I was contacted about one of my resin and wood tiny turtle builds early last year, but that particular sling was already spoken for, so I offered to do a completely different build instead. I said that I wanted to change things up a bit for this one and wanted a bit of time to experiment with different things for this one. Some of those, like the pine cones I've done recently, you guys have seen. I was asked to use some G10 in this one, so that's what the black core is. I made some red paper micarta spacers to sandwich that. I used some wood cookies of oak, hickory, and cedar, as well as an acorn cap, and pine cones. These were all set in clear casting resin. Next, I cut the turtle design from all this, shaped the sides evenly, and routered the edges. A great deal of sanding followed this. Finally (sort of) I had a coat of automotive clear sprayed over the surface. At this point, I should have been finished, but a coworker dropped the sling on a hard concrete floor and I soon noticed a small crack in the resin. I used a dremel and a wood carving bit to remove this crack, added more resin, sanded smooth again, and had the finish reapplied. A bit of buffing, and here we have it!! Thanks for looking!
Fantastic work bud, looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic work bud, looks awesome!
Whoa! That's a lot of work and detail! Looks incredible.
Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
6,680 Posts
Hey Drew, you really outdid yourself on this one Bud! The finish, the materials, the shape and that finish-again and that finish! Looks like a piece of glass. That is really something- AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You rock, Drew!! :bowdown:
That's an awesome turtle! Beautiful build. The G10 core is very sensible and it looks great too.
Yep, I'd say that is quite special Drew. Awesome job!
Wow!!!!!!! That is beautiful Your talent is amazing
That's a jaw-dropper!
Amazing results with a very innovative approach.
Love it!
That's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I got a little emotional man. Incredible work!
Wow! That certainly is unique! I love it!
Hey Drew, you really outdid yourself on this one Bud! The finish, the materials, the shape and that finish-again and that finish! Looks like a piece of glass. That is really something- AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!! :bowdown:
Thanks for all the kindness guys!!!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are no words in English to describe your slingshot. Fortunately, Mother Raja insisted that all of her children speak French while at home:

absolument magnifique - votre oeuvre d'art - elle apporte la joie à mon coeur et une larme à mes yeux
Thank you sir! A touching compliment.
:thumbsup: nice.
That is incredible!!!
Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
Edible!
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
lol

Thanks guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts