Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to keep it simple this month.

Natty frames - no rules (other than the usual) can be cored etc. As long as a branch was sacrificed in its construction.

Would be keen to see people push the boundaries on what a natty could be...

·
Science is magic that works
450 Posts
Hi, here is my first entry. I never made a natural before, and went to look for a suitable tree, but everything is green now, but I remembered a brush pile I made last year and searched through it. I only had about 15 minutes before a flash thunderstorm, and I cut two forks of sugar maple. This one is 5" long, 1 1\2" wide, the maple is slightly spalted, finished with some walnut sealer. I liked this and will definitely make more, I made this today.
1625165955532.jpg
1625165940193.jpg
1625165984771.jpg
1625166000660.jpg
1625166898781.jpg
1625166971167.jpg

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Some natural forks I collected in the woods about a year ago have dried out nicely, and made for some nice frames - like this one fully hand made of a larger beech wood branch without major flaws, which involved sawing, rasping, filing, and that always adorable job of sandpapering. It received two coats of water-based wood sealant for the final surface finish. A pinch-grip configuration that should handle fairly strong flat bands.

Entry no. 1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Last year, I also came across an oak branch on the roadside, broken off during a storm . I left it to dry out 8 months, thinking "hmm, nice piece of wood". Well, when finally working it into shape a few months ago, I discovered how nice looking bark can hide some less desirable things, such as woodworm tracks and holes. It was a case of "is it worth it, or not", because I had to rasp away anything that could potentially weaken the fork area: woodworms are ferocious diggers that tunnel their way deep inside. After removing anything suspicious, I finally ended up with an asymmetric shape, which is actually quite interesting.

Once again, I applied two coats of water-based wood sealant for the surface finish. Lighter bands will doubtlessly be fine: I did test the forks for their strength. The woodworms were kind to me - this time.

Entry no.2

Attachments

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
So are we talking nattys we have made or do I have to make one this month guys 🎯👍👌this is my latest with the clips 🎯 and the other(spalted oak from a oversized fork)is my first natty of new design I will makeover the next coupleofdays🎯👌👍( the only tools I use are a handsaw ,jigsaw ,a dremel and a 50mm sanding pad in a 18v cordless drill)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Naturals rock...yes, I was busy. Here is another frame cut from a thicker beech wood branch left to dry for roughly one year
Nat_green_A.jpg
Nat_green_B.jpg
, color-stained in a way to show the grain structure of the wood, and finished like the others with transparent water-based wood sealant.

Entry no.3

1 - 20 of 179 Posts