Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Science is magic that works
1,087 Posts
Hi, here is my first entry. I never made a natural before, and went to look for a suitable tree, but everything is green now, but I remembered a brush pile I made last year and searched through it. I only had about 15 minutes before a flash thunderstorm, and I cut two forks of sugar maple. This one is 5" long, 1 1\2" wide, the maple is slightly spalted, finished with some walnut sealer. I liked this and will definitely make more, I made this today.
Plant Wood Natural material Grass Wood stain
Plant Wood Natural material Grass Wood stain
Table Plant Wood Natural material Grass
Wood Wood stain Grass Hardwood Plant
Plant Wood Watch Table Wood stain
Plant Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Grass Wood stain

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Some natural forks I collected in the woods about a year ago have dried out nicely, and made for some nice frames - like this one fully hand made of a larger beech wood branch without major flaws, which involved sawing, rasping, filing, and that always adorable job of sandpapering. It received two coats of water-based wood sealant for the final surface finish. A pinch-grip configuration that should handle fairly strong flat bands.

Entry no. 1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Last year, I also came across an oak branch on the roadside, broken off during a storm . I left it to dry out 8 months, thinking "hmm, nice piece of wood". Well, when finally working it into shape a few months ago, I discovered how nice looking bark can hide some less desirable things, such as woodworm tracks and holes. It was a case of "is it worth it, or not", because I had to rasp away anything that could potentially weaken the fork area: woodworms are ferocious diggers that tunnel their way deep inside. After removing anything suspicious, I finally ended up with an asymmetric shape, which is actually quite interesting.

Once again, I applied two coats of water-based wood sealant for the surface finish. Lighter bands will doubtlessly be fine: I did test the forks for their strength. The woodworms were kind to me - this time.

Entry no.2

Attachments

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
So are we talking nattys we have made or do I have to make one this month guys 🎯👍👌this is my latest with the clips 🎯 and the other(spalted oak from a oversized fork)is my first natty of new design I will makeover the next coupleofdays🎯👌👍( the only tools I use are a handsaw ,jigsaw ,a dremel and a 50mm sanding pad in a 18v cordless drill)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 329 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.