221 - 240 of 267 Posts

· Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
3,790 Posts

· Registered
1,139 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
This is going to take some explaining.......
When I first started lurking around this forum, I did not build anything cause the slingshots with the very nicely tied on bands intimidated me. Had trouble figuring out how it was done and had trouble doing it neatly later. And the bands to pouch tie was even harder for me. Keep in mind I have old dairy farmer fingers. A lot of dexterity left a long time ago!
The woodworking part was pretty straightforward so this SOTM #3 Open Build is my take on what I should have done right away. If I'd only known then what I know now?????
A little laminating work on the frame with maple and walnut with a nice simple Tee style shape. Wrapped with a simple good quality paracord.
Binding post band retention - which is working way better than I would have thought. And is really easy both to build and to install the bands.
The pouch is tied on with simple cotton string with a single constrictor knot and a single square knot over the top.
Shoots beautifully, holds nice and is accurate. Easy to build and band. And is not the ugliest thing I've ever built.
90 mm x 130 mm x 13 mm thick with 18-12-260 0.5 mm Ignite latex bands and a homemade pouch from an old glove.
Not world class like some of the builds on here but it hits the theme or purpose very nicely.
tx, Ed
Footwear Shoe Leg Human body Personal protective equipment

Attachments

· Registered
2,948 Posts
When I first started lurking around this forum, I did not build anything cause the slingshots with the very nicely tied on bands intimidated me. Had trouble figuring out how it was done and had trouble doing it neatly later. And the bands to pouch tie was even harder for me. Keep in mind I have old dairy farmer fingers. A lot of dexterity left a long time ago!
The woodworking part was pretty straightforward so this SOTM #3 Open Build is my take on what I should have done right away. If I'd only known then what I know now?????
A little laminating work on the frame with maple and walnut with a nice simple Tee style shape. Wrapped with a simple good quality paracord.
Binding post band retention - which is working way better than I would have thought. And is really easy both to build and to install the bands.
The pouch is tied on with simple cotton string with a single constrictor knot and a single square knot over the top.
Shoots beautifully, holds nice and is accurate. Easy to build and band. And is not the ugliest thing I've ever built.
90 mm x 130 mm x 13 mm thick with 18-12-260 0.5 mm Ignite latex bands and a homemade pouch from an old glove.
Not world class like some of the builds on here but it hits the theme or purpose very nicely.
tx, Ed
View attachment 380362
Looking great fella! Liking it

· Registered
7,726 Posts

· Registered
7,726 Posts
tx, Ed
View attachment 380362
Looks Great,just out of curiosity,what is the outside to outside dimensions on the fork tips?

· Registered
117 Posts
Finished up my second entry. Plenty of flaws but still pretty happy with it. First entry will be up tomorrow.

Cheap plywood & double HDPE stack for core, pine root finger grooves, palm swell from a random branch.
Used the same plywood to make the sunburst spacers in a chunk of mahogany for a little glam...2 Minwax stain, 2 Minwax poly on everything...

Human body Basic pump Wood High heels Musical instrument
Footwear Wood Basic pump Metal Hardwood

Wood Natural material Art Creative arts Hardwood
Wood Metal Natural material Glass Artifact

Wood Natural material Eyewear Metal Fashion accessory
Wood Hardwood Ingredient Natural material Metal

T

· Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Last set of pics before before polishing and finishing tomorrow... hopefully will get a shooting video too.

Shaping, with all liners... one drop of glue on each to hold in place.
Automotive tire Wood Finger Gas Auto part

Shape looks good... after this, took it apart and then reglued and put in the internal pins
Hand Wood Automotive tire Finger Thumb

Using abralon pads to keep from gouging... starts at 180 grit and goes to 500
Gesture Finger Wood Thumb Art

Higher grit brings out the natural shine and luster of ironwood
Wood Automotive tire Auto part Human leg Nail

time to put in the skull hole fillers
Gas Automotive lighting Font Automotive exterior Auto part

Revolver Hand tool Wood Trigger Metalworking hand tool

First set of polish and then after that final fitting and repolishing after
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

Brown Musical instrument Violin family Wood String instrument

Hand tool Pneumatic tool Pliers Snips Handheld power drill

Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper Auto part

Tomorrow final fitting, and then polishing... will take pics of the final piece and hopefully some shooting if time permits!

· Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
3,790 Posts
Last set of pics before before polishing and finishing tomorrow... hopefully will get a shooting video too.

View attachment 380430

Shape looks good... after this, took it apart and then reglued and put in the internal pins
View attachment 380431

View attachment 380432

View attachment 380433

View attachment 380434

View attachment 380435

View attachment 380436

View attachment 380437

View attachment 380438

View attachment 380439

Tomorrow final fitting, and then polishing... will take pics of the final piece and hopefully some shooting if time permits!
Nice work bill!

· Registered
2,749 Posts

View attachment 380430

View attachment 380431

View attachment 380432

View attachment 380433

View attachment 380434

View attachment 380435

View attachment 380436

View attachment 380437

View attachment 380438

View attachment 380439

That Ironwood is pretty...

· Registered
117 Posts
Here's my original entry, felt great on the first few shots. Certainly not pocket friendly, ;), but something different to mess with.
Used 1/8 crate ply, same as my other entry, and put in some thin cedar for variation. Just stacked, glued and shaped.
Tried putting a little black paint in some Minwax stain to get a somewhat charred look. I was afraid if I torched it I might compromise the glue.
Two coats of poly.
What a fun month this has been...good luck to all who submitted slings!

Wood Plant Gesture Tree Metal
Sculpture Gesture Art Wood Artifact

Hand Gesture Wood Finger Thumb
Wood Sandal Fashion accessory Metal Carmine

Plane Smoothing plane Shoulder plane Rebate plane Sandal
Tool Wood Bicycle part Metal Auto part

Tim

221 - 240 of 267 Posts