Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious where people source their wood for small projects like these. I've seen the boxes of cut-offs you can get on Amazon, but it looks like a crapshoot as to what you get.

So far, I've just been buying the hobby woods at Homer Depot. You can get whatever you want, so long as it's red oak, white oak, birch, poplar, Walnut, or Mahogany. Pine, too, I suppose.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just some suggestions - Cabinet shops scraps, furniture makers, custom and commercial guitar and instrument makers, custom gun stock makers and similar places - Just some advice from and old man....ALWAYS offer to buy "scrap" wood - Also keep in mind the sizes of wood you call "scraps" custom craftsman use the same size woods for custom knife & tool handles, pistol grips and a bunch of other things so what you call "scraps" they pay some good money for -

Some of the nicest walnut in the world for gun stocks comes from California! Or is used to :hmm:

·
Registered
662 Posts
My neighbors prune their trees. I collect the would to help clear it out, season the remainder for burning that I don't need. And season the Y forks to harvest for a Catties. 90% of my wood is free and scraps from Lowe's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Lowes and Home Depot have flooring samples (free or $.50) big enough for small slingshots and pickle forks but make nice scales and palm swells. They are about 3/4" thick. Watch out for samples that are wood veneer with plywood backing. You have to check often to find all wood samples with good figuring.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,730 Posts
Lowes and Home Depot have flooring samples (free or $.50) big enough for small slingshots and pickle forks but make nice scales and palm swells. They are about 3/4" thick. Watch out for samples that are wood veneer with plywood backing. You have to check often to find all wood samples with good figuring.
Agree with all of these, but wanted to also say that Lowe's carries woven bamboo flooring samples that are dense and solid as heck.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,730 Posts
Another great source is old couches, recliners, etc., that'll usually have Maple framing, and maybe get some leather for pouches as well.

I once found an old organ that someone threw out, that was full of Walnut and Maple boards, and I made LOTS of flutes from that score.

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Nobody mentioned cutting boards yet? One of youz slang me an Olive cutting board last year that I am still working through a few pieces. I am told to avoid laminated cutting boards unless you are going to use a solid core of some type.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I find the engineered wood flooring 14,19 and 21mm works a treat. Its light and strong.

The 14mm I glue faces together to get 28mm and work it down...

My local flooring suppliers allow me to rummage through their bins and even save me full lengths..

Hope this helps

This is from 19mm engineered with an Oak wear layer on one side(top face of the flooring)

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I often check the local forests. That's where I get mine. Slingshots grow on trees.
Thanks for the smart-assery

The thing is, I live in Southern California. Forests aren't really a thing, here. Cactus? Palm trees? Don't think they'll work. We do have some orange trees and so I might be able to acquire some of that maybe.

Mark

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I often check the local forests. That's where I get mine. Slingshots grow on trees.

The thing is, I live in Southern California. Forests aren't really a thing, here. Cactus? Palm trees? Don't think they'll work. We do have some orange trees and so I might be able to acquire some of that maybe.

Mark

my apologies. That's just an expression that I say all the time. All in good fun.
Seriously tho, dont look past any garden shrubs and hedgerows as well. I've sourced many forks from small bushes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Mark

my apologies. That's just an expression that I say all the time. All in good fun.
Seriously tho, dont look past any garden shrubs and hedgerows as well. I've sourced many forks from small bushes.
It's all good. I was laughing; it was way funny!

I've been keeping my eyes open for a good fork, but I've been having fun making my first board cut. I plan to do more, but my local source of suitable wood has so far been Home Depot.

I'm also toying with the idea of doing the HDPE thing, too. Why not?

Mark

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I'm in a rural, heavily wooded area, so finding forks is very easy. I also live about a 1/4 mile from the local compost site that has a 3 ft fence around it, sometimes the dog and I will stop and look at the brush pile. Maybe check locally and see if they have such a site, I doubt they'd care if you took a few forks.

Check locally as there may be a sawmill or exotic wood store nearby too.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Nothing wrong with plastic frames dude . If u want to get a little more involved u could do some lost foam casting I have done a few of them

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nothing wrong with plastic frames dude . If u want to get a little more involved u could do some lost foam casting I have done a few of them
What is lost foam casting?

Just looked it up, that is a lot more involved than I thought. But I bet the frames are amazing from it.

Example:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
The short of it is to carve out a piece of good styrofoam and burying it in fine sand than pour melted aluminum on to it the metal will take the shape of the styrofoam. U just need aluminum that has bin casted before so it still has flux to help flow .a simple forge and charcoal and air compressor or shop vac all u need. I realize it’s not wood but it’s an option and a fella could bend a wire frame or weld something. Just putting options out there . I like to try different things to keep my mind going

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts