Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , folks ,

Finally I made it to get done with two new slingshots and had a chance to test them in the woods for the first time yesterday .

I find it quite interesting to see , how fast this birchwood actually starts to decay in the outdoors , once the timber was downed , ......a little comparison of different forks harvested three about months apart to be seen in the video , ...better close-up shots at the end .

PS : My thumb is slowly recovering
!

Cheers , Holzwurm

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Nice looking shooters there Holzwurm! Up here the downed birch rots very quickly as well. I like your
range out in the woods, some of us have our favorite spots.
Take care of that thumb, that looks like it took a heck of a hit!

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Hi Holzworm. I really enjoyed watching this video. And I have to say, I like your style. You carve a very nice slingshot, my friend!

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I prefer the spinning reel. The fish don't seem to care either way, but I am much more accurate with a spinner, so I care. At least you're fishing!

Sorry 'bout yer thumb! I've been there, man. Heal quickly!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for your kind words , mates , .....I appreciate these very much

My thumb got better by now , used my casting reel today(essential for working my big pike glide baits) , .......still with a little pain I can even operate a cigarette lighter again !

Me just thinking that I should consider myself lucky , that the little shooting accident happened with just single bands and 8mm steel ,...... might have turned out pretty much worse , if I had shot double bands and cal .44 lead
!

Just found two more birch forks at the fishing pond today , they had downed some more trees last weekend , so I've cut the forks off the branches with my Swiss Army Knife .

I like working with that birchwood , it carves pretty easy , even at the knot at the bottom of the two fork ends .

I have two homemade carving knives that I've ground out from old files , after a few stokes over 800 grit sandpaper they'd do every surgeon justice , I guess , ...........originally made for lurecarving , though , but they are just great for natural slingshot forks as well .

At first I would sand a plane on one side of the branchfork on a 40 grit disc sander , this operation removes the bark and leaves a straight surface to sketch on the desired(or better said "the possible") shape of the slingshot , .....also cut off fork ends and handle to desired length now .

It really requires some imagination to determine about the possible shape, that one can get out of a natural branch fork , ......the bigger the fork end's diameter , the more opportunities are given .

With the disc sander I'd also sand down the other side of the fork in order to achieve a paralell plane to the first one , also sand the sides of the handle portion to achieve a rectangular or square cross section of the grip , .....also might sand the fork ends thinner on one side in order to get such kind of a little reversed handle portion a shown on the two symetrical shooters displayed in the video .

Last sketching is done and then my carving knives get into action , ........I might only use a round rasp to furnish the bottom between the fork ends evenly , ...all other shaping done with the carving knives and afterwards lots of sanding is in order , ......in the end I'd also carve the attachement grooves and sand them smooth .

I'm just enjoying this carving work pretty much and especially I like the little excitement , as one never knows for sure , what kinda slingshot shape would finally come out of a natural branch fork , ........it's hiding in there , the carving knives must only uncover it .

Thanks a lot again
, folks , ....cheers , Holzwurm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.