Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Some days ago I received one of the sickest / most badass slingshots I have ever had.

This is a bespoke slingshot. I wanted it to be painted in "Giallo Modena" official yellow paint from Ferrari. Hence its name.
Made by one of the best and most known shooters and makers in Spain, Jose Vela.

When I received it I was like a kid on Santa's day. It didn't took me too long to get the hang of it, it felt like a glove on my hand.
Getting the hang of these kind of slingshots is not an easy task. The technique is completely different, the hold and the way to aim.

Needless to say this is a dedicated target shooting slingshot. Hunting with a slingshot in Spain is completely forbidden.

If there's any questions just away guys

IMG-20191021-130414.jpg

IMG-20191021-130339.jpg

IMG-20191021-130433.jpg

IMG-20191021-174703.jpg

IMG-20191021-174714.jpg

IMG-20191021-130148.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2019-08-19-at-7-00-46-PM

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I have been told that they have outlawed that style in tournaments now, but not have confirmed that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been told that they have outlawed that style in tournaments now, but not have confirmed that.
I'll reply to that tomorrow. It requires a very long explanation it's very late here.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That is an amazing slingshot. I imagine that you are very accurate with it. Congratulations.

Looking at your avatar photo - do you hold it upright, as opposed to gangster (sideways)? Also it looks like you draw right under your eye to aim - but no safety glasses! Are you worried about a broken band or worse, your ammo, hitting your eye?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Wow, that is absolutely stunning!

You mentioned that you were limited to using natural-styled slingshots at the Spanish national competition during the summer, because the standard Spanish target slingshots were apparently banned by the regional authorities.

This brings me to the question as to whether Chinese-style frames with fiber optic sights and designed for flat bands are currently legal in Spain?

Are they considered as "tirachinas perfecionadas" ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
YES and NO answer.

The restriction in this year's Nationals doesn't apply for the following ones.

If you activate subtitles in this last year's Nationals video, you'll realize that most of us where talking about the ban and how pointless it was.

Even theown council police that caused this issue didn't even show up to check what slingshots we were using on-site.

SHORT and LONG video

That's why we all think in the spanish community that there was a black-hand somewhere. Not only we've been using the same sighted catapults for 17 past years but I'm sure we will not change for the following ones.

In other words, to prevent the championship to be cancelled with short notice (3 weeks) we were forced to use natural forks.

You can still see a good atmosphere on the videos no matter what the issue was.

I recommend you to read the article I wrote on Facebook regarding this issue to help you understand where we come from. LINK

That is an amazing slingshot. I imagine that you are very accurate with it. Congratulations.

Looking at your avatar photo - do you hold it upright, as opposed to gangster (sideways)? Also it looks like you draw right under your eye to aim - but no safety glasses! Are you worried about a broken band or worse, your ammo, hitting your eye?
The benefits of the gum rubber bands we mostly use here is that we get lower speeds but a longer life span. The same bandset usually last 900 - 1100 shots .

As a matter of fact, if you really cut them with a sharp blade, the only thing you care about is changing them because they lose power, not because they're gonna rip / break.

That's why you will never see spanish shooters wearing eye protection. Yeah, it sounds risky at the beginning specially if you aren't into the hobby and see us . I am into the competitive side of the sport for 15 years and I have never seen anyone wearing eye protection in Spain because no one has ever break them. I would only understand for a beginner.

Wow, that is absolutely stunning!

You mentioned that you were limited to using natural-styled slingshots at the Spanish national competition during the summer, because the standard Spanish target slingshots were apparently banned by the regional authorities.

This brings me to the question as to whether Chinese-style frames with fiber optic sights and designed for flat bands are currently legal in Spain?

Are they considered as "tirachinas perfecionadas" ?
If you scroll down, I partially answer your first question in Tex_Shooter's reply.

Technically, any sighted slingshot, wrist-braced or using tubular bands is forbidden in Spain, I repeat, technically.

This is the only moment that the spanish weapon law mentions slingshots and labels them as " improved slingshot / tirachinas perfeccionado". So answering your question, technically a Chinese frame could be classed here.

But that's it, the spanish law doesn't mention if you used a natural fork slingshot with flat bands, for example. It's very doubtful and ambiguous.

No updates regarding net year's Nationals, but as far as it goes to tournament slingshots, we will probably use them again.

That looks simply amazing! I haven't seen much in the way of Spanish frames on here except what you've posted. Gorgeous piece of work.
You don't get to see too many apart from mine on the internet because I'm the only active spanish shooter in the forums nowadays. Also I'm one of the few spanish shooters that speaks fluent english. If there were more, I am sure you'd get to see more pictures online.

Nevertheless, if you've got facebook, there's a big spanish community and groups where you can see tournaments, different builds and stuff.

You check this out , you will like it LINK

That is a beaut! Looking forward to your explanation on tournament restrictions. Would you be able to provide a video demo? Would love to see that Ferrari burning rubber!
For the tournament restrictions, please scroll down and read Tex-Shooter's and Pebble Shooter's reply.

So far weather has been very bad windy and cloudy. I just had a quick test indoors. I'll film a video once the weather clears out with a 40mm spinner, I should "easily" get 15 hits in a row. Subscribe to my youtube channel so you can see it.

This slingshot in particular has two tiny upgrades / improvements against my previous tournament slingshots but at the same time , these changes can only be seen by the trained eye.

The first upgrade was on the slotted holes in the sight. This minor but essential upgrade allows me to move horizontally the hole sight for a fine adjustment of my wrist.

This way I know exactly the position and alignment of my wrist is locked in place shoot after shoot. Minimizing the risk of missing a target.

This is a comparison against the other kind of sights I've been using to date.

Whats-App-Image-2019-10-25-at-3-49-26-PM

The second upgrade is in the metal forks. This one has a spinning/ rotating bush wherethe band is tied onto.

This helps and allows the bands to last longer as there aren't any fixed parts damaging the bands as they're drawn. You'll understand better with this comparison.

ezgif-com-video-to-gif-1.gif

It is so well made that the bushes doesn't slide sideways (it would be pointless) The gap is minimun to allow the bush to rotate. That's it.

And you can still move the bands along the bush left/right for horizontal adjustment which is essential for us.

Whats-App-Image-2019-10-25-at-4-21-11-PM

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thank you for your answers, Gaspar.

In my understanding, you need to address a collective request to the Spanish authorities with the help of supportive political parties to obtain an unambiguous definition of the legal term "tirachinas perfecionadas" ("perfected slingshots") written down in the law. Moreover, I would argue the fact that slingshots are authorized in most European countries, with the exception of wrist-braced versions in some cases.

It seems as though the lack of such an essential legal definition based on specific criteria makes it possible for any local authority in Spain to de facto ban slingshots for any reason deemed appropriate - maybe the desired outcome in the context of stricter gun control directives from the EU headquarters :mad:.

By the sound of it, it may thus just be a matter of time before a total ban on slingshots is implemented in Spain; you may yet have to take collective legal action to stop this possibility i.e. all clubs in Spain need to be involved for that crucial objective.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts