Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
***SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT***​
Thanks to the support of great customers like you, we have made and sold a great many quality wood slingshots since opening our business in February of this year. However, recent events and conversations with both consumers and others in the industry have caused us to pause and consider the solid wood materials that we have used up to this point to make our slingshots. We chose solid wood because we believed that material to be the best at the time. Though we still believe that solid wood is beautiful and durable when used responsibly, we also believe that safety and quality should go together. Since safety has always been a priority for us here at A+ Slingshots, we have decided to begin producing our uniquely designed models in 3/4" High (cabinetry) Grade 12 ply Birch Hardwood laminate. This laminate is also known as Multiplex.​

Our recent testing and research has convinced us that wooden slingshot can break as a result of one or repeated fork hits. Solid wood forks can shear off completely where Multiplex cracks and splinters but remains intact, thus offering an extra measure of strength and safety that solid woods simply cannot.​

I am already producing in the Multiplex and would recommend it to you instead of the solid wood. Same great designs just a different and a bit safer material!!!​

We are offering all our same Pocket Shooter models (PS1-3 and our new BB Shooter) as always. I am offering them in Natural (unstained) Birch, or (stained) Golden Pecan, Early American, Red Oak and Dark Walnut colors as the picture shows.​

Again the sizes and prices will be the same for the multiplex models as for the original solid regular wood PS-1 = $25, PS-2 = $35, PS-3 = $45, BB Shooter = $25.00 w/speedloader (introductory special).​

I will continue to produce in solid wood with a "Steel Reinforced" forks process I have developed for those who demand solid wood for $10 more for each size.​
These changes and enhancements are intended as an extra measure of safety over and above industry standards.​

We believe these are responsible and prudent changes, and we look forward to continuing to make quality, hand crafted wooden slingshots and accessories for you and yours for many years to come!!!​

All the best,​
Perry​

Reactions: NightKnight

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Great idea !!!

Since I had some fork breaks I was holding off purchasing one of the solids. I like your design and found it very comfortable when I had one in my hand at the Alverton tournament. Never got to shoot it though, it didn't have bands on.

You will certainly sleep better knowing the reliability of the mutiplex.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray I appreciate the kind word!!! After doing some testing on my own, I feel confident now that this is the right direction to go. BTW when you're ready I'd be pleased to make one for you.
Have a good one!
Perry

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey perry,like ray i've been waiting for you to offer a laminate.i've really been impressed with the growth of your product line. i'll be ordering one some time this week.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Thanks Ray I appreciate the kind word!!! After doing some testing on my own, I feel confident now that this is the right direction to go. BTW when you're ready I'd be pleased to make one for you.
Have a good one!
Perry
Your welcome, I will purchase one at some point.

Also, I will still make solids for sure!! Too beautiful not to. I have a gorgeous 3/4 x 6in x 8 ft wavy maple and small boards of exotics just waiting. Even if the wood is one I am confident in it's integrity, for the piece of mind I will simply put a dowel from the fork tip down through to the handle. I have done this a few times it takes so little time. The shape of some require me to put a dowel from the fork tip well into the handle and the other, fork tip to just stopping short of crossing (cutting into the other)the other dowel. Perhaps overkill in some peoples minds but I won't have a breakage accident.

I think, by what I see of your design a well aimed, long drill bit and you are still in business with specialty cattys of exotics now and again.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Also, I will still make solids for sure!! Too beautiful not to. I have a gorgeous 3/4 x 6in x 8 ft wavy maple and small boards of exotics just waiting. Even if the wood is one I am confident in it's integrity, for the piece of mind I will simply put a dowel from the fork tip down through to the handle. I have done this a few times it takes so little time. The shape of some require me to put a dowel from the fork tip well into the handle and the other, fork tip to just stopping short of crossing (cutting into the other)the other dowel. Perhaps overkill in some peoples minds but I won't have a breakage accident.

I think, by what I see of your design a well aimed, long drill bit and you are still in business with specialty cattys of exotics now and again.
That's great Ray! Great minds think alike!!!!
I have actually already begun to do that on the solid wood ones for myself, and will be offering this as a special service if some have wooden catties they want to "steel reinforce" or would like if for solid ones I make for an extra cost. I use epoxy and a metal rod about 1/8 or so in diameter. I don't believe it would keep a fork from breaking, but I believe it would keep it from "shearing" off, which is what we're trying to stop.

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Great idea Perry and I wish you continued success. You came long way in a few months Bud.This is a smart move too. I may do something similar when rigging very powerful band set-ups for people. The lighter to medium set-ups could be for solids and the heavy and extra heavy for Lams. Flatband

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Note to all of youse guys: I trust you. Just keep it as safe as you can. I will do the rest. Sorry for A-holes

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lighter to medium set-ups could be for solids and the heavy and extra heavy for Lams. Flatband
Thank you Gary! You Too!!! I hope I get to do some of the "Steel Reinforced Forks" for people and I will probably keep making at least some of the BB Shooters in Solid Woods as I don't think they could be broken used as recommended.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Note to all of youse guys: I trust you. Just keep it as safe as you can. I will do the rest. Sorry for A-holes
Thanks DH!!! I appreciate that!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

That's great Ray! Great minds think alike!!!!
I have actually already begun to do that on the solid wood ones for myself, and will be offering this as a special service if some have wooden catties they want to "steel reinforce" or would like if for solid ones I make for an extra cost. I use epoxy and a metal rod about 1/8 or so in diameter. I don't believe it would keep a fork from breaking, but I believe it would keep it from "shearing" off, which is what we're trying to stop.
Yeah the metal rods are probably better especially the insertion into the hole. the wood wants to grab real fast if it is any way snug. And as you know once a glued dowel that is snug that grabs thats it for that try. Then, start all over.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Good show, Perry.
I love laminates of all kinds (wood, synthetic, whatever). Definitely far superior in strength and longevity to most solids. Too bad solids will be completely phased out, but I think this is a smart move overall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Perry, your work, your art has definitely been top notch. I have no doubt that your laminates will dazzle us and their owners, but the design and rich colors of your solids are at the top of their class. I hope you have several dozen stashed away for the grand kids.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Great move, Perry. Even though solid board cuts work fine, as a commercial manufacturer you need all of the safety margin you can possibly get. You never know what kinds of crazy band sets the end user attaches...

Also, I came to appreciate the beauty of polished multiplex. It even seems to sparkle if you turn it around under bright sunlight!

Jörg

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just glad my Bamboo PS1 is already on it's way to me!!!
"Solid wood" lovers I understand your feelings. I would certainly consider making a solid wood or even a bamboo fork in the future if that's really what someone wanted to have, BUT I would only do so by making them with my "steel reinforced forks"at an extra charge.

It just makes more overall sense to me as a small business man in terms of safety, time and effort to transition to making most everything in Mulitplex.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I want to thank everyone who has left a kind and encouraging comment!!! I really appreciate it!!!

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I think we will all benefit from the concern for safety that is pushing us all toward laminated products. Bunny Buster and Jim Harris have been making some great laminates for a while. I decided to switch to making laminates as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts