Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
***SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT***​
Thanks to the support of great customers like you, we have made and sold a great many quality wood slingshots since opening our business in February of this year. However, recent events and conversations with both consumers and others in the industry have caused us to pause and consider the solid wood materials that we have used up to this point to make our slingshots. We chose solid wood because we believed that material to be the best at the time. Though we still believe that solid wood is beautiful and durable when used responsibly, we also believe that safety and quality should go together. Since safety has always been a priority for us here at A+ Slingshots, we have decided to begin producing our uniquely designed models in 3/4" High (cabinetry) Grade 12 ply Birch Hardwood laminate. This laminate is also known as Multiplex.​

Our recent testing and research has convinced us that wooden slingshot can break as a result of one or repeated fork hits. Solid wood forks can shear off completely where Multiplex cracks and splinters but remains intact, thus offering an extra measure of strength and safety that solid woods simply cannot.​

I am already producing in the Multiplex and would recommend it to you instead of the solid wood. Same great designs just a different and a bit safer material!!!​

We are offering all our same Pocket Shooter models (PS1-3 and our new BB Shooter) as always. I am offering them in Natural (unstained) Birch, or (stained) Golden Pecan, Early American, Red Oak and Dark Walnut colors as the picture shows.​

Again the sizes and prices will be the same for the multiplex models as for the original solid regular wood PS-1 = $25, PS-2 = $35, PS-3 = $45, BB Shooter = $25.00 w/speedloader (introductory special).​

I will continue to produce in solid wood with a "Steel Reinforced" forks process I have developed for those who demand solid wood for $10 more for each size.​
These changes and enhancements are intended as an extra measure of safety over and above industry standards.​

We believe these are responsible and prudent changes, and we look forward to continuing to make quality, hand crafted wooden slingshots and accessories for you and yours for many years to come!!!​

All the best,​
Perry​

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Hey if that's what you feel you need to do then that's what you should do.. I'm sure that they will be just as much in demand as your previous offerings. Continuing good luck to you...

PS I guess I'm just a dinosaur I still like the solid wood..

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Harper,

As you know, I like solid wood too, and I believe it can be shot by using reasonable care, but some are just not careful or maybe even attentive enough. In the long run, I believe it will prove to be the right decision.

I may still make a few hardwood catties from time to time, but with "Steel Reinforced Forks". I have already done so on some of my own. I just drill down through the forks into the handle a little ways and then epoxy in a metal rod about 1/8" thick. I don't believe it will keep forks from breaking if they take a direct hit from lead hunting shot, but I believe it will keep the fork from shearing off, which is what we're trying to keep from happening.

All the best,
Perry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts