Attachments

Reactions: hoggy and Tag

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
It's cheap.

It's hard to learn to be good at.

It's easy to learn to okay at

It has some very interesting people involved in the sport.

There is a ton of interesting things to learn, including making, finishing, banding, ammo, pouches, ect.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I enjoy the challenge of target shooting. I think its cool that I can take them pubic places and get off a few shots. They are silent shooters, versatile ammo. Cool history. Most people have good stories or experiences with them. I enjoy the craftsmanship in making them and the simple beauty in the final product. Slingshots don't take up too much space.There are some really nice,knowledgeable, and talented people in this sport. I think its just that rebellious boy in me coming out to play. And it reminds my of my grandfather who was a mentor of mine.

·
Trying to find my way.
399 Posts
Cheapest of all the shooting sports.

An excellent form of meditation, a great way to relieve stress and blow off steam.

Great way to build the skill of focus.

I love shooting stuff for dirt cheap.

Accessible.

Simple.

I can shoot anywhere I have 20'-30' of space.

Fun.

Fun to make my stuff.

Cheap.

Quiet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am an avid shooter, rifles, pistols and 10 meter air pistols (along with reloading for all calibers except .22LR) Slingshots are something I never really got into and really only had when I was young.

That all changed from watching a couple youtube videos. I never knew you could get pinpoint accuracy with one, and once I found that out, my interests were piqued.

In the short couple of weeks of owning a flat band slingshot, I've found that it is incredibly fun! Being able to go into the backyard and practice my marksmanship is a huge bonus. I live in a neighborhood with a pretty small backyard, so I had to travel to my shop to shoot my 10M air pistol, or head out to the indoor range for my powder burners. It is a nice change of pace to just walk out the back door and have fun shooting targets or cans.

I can see myself investing a lot of time and energy in becoming competent with a slingshot. By nature, I am extremely competitive, so I want to understand and learn something to my full potential. Slingshots fill that need for me in a very accessible way.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Of I have to explain, you wouldn't understand...
But since you understand probably better than I do, I will play.
I like things that shoot, all of em.
I like to see hand crafted items
I like making my own stuff
And seeing my skills improve
But in addition to all of those things, slingshot are one of the only pastimes I can think of, where buying some new fancy gizmo doesn't improve your success. A natty with the right shooter has as good a chance of winning tournaments as a thousand dollar custom rig.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A few reasons the main being it helps me to stick with my recovery from doing "dumb things", the skill set involved, the making my own cattys, helps with my focus, calms me when I'm stressed, the community of like minded people, and many many other reasons but those are the ones that come to mind right off the bat. Keep slingin my friends!!!

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
haha tell us how ya really feel Flip . U bin out grocery shopping or something
No. But I robbed a 7-11 by telling Musa to give me all of the money or I'll sneeze on you! As I was leaving I blew my nose on a Kleenex, threw it on the counter and snarled,"DON'T! Try to follow me!"

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I love the sport because u don’t need anything fancy to get involved . It also brings the kid out in me when u smash your target dead on u forget all that adult stuff lol . I have also made some friends here on the forum and we do build swaps and I don’t know about all u guys but nothing good ever comes in the mail ! But now there is some awesome stuff that comes my way . Hand made master piece frames and who knows what else in a package. Wife gets mad because she gets no packages I told her to join the forum haha

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I love the sport because u don't need anything fancy to get involved . It also brings the kid out in me when u smash your target dead on u forget all that adult stuff lol . I have also made some friends here on the forum and we do build swaps and I don't know about all u guys but nothing good ever comes in the mail ! But now there is some awesome stuff that comes my way . Hand made master piece frames and who knows what else in a package. Wife gets mad because she gets no packages I told her to join the forum haha
I have said again and again... If you are a participating member of SlingWorld you are likely to receive slingshots for trades or gifts things that you could never justify spending the $'s for. I get a lot of blank looks from the Slingless. ^_^ DANG!!! I love SS culture! :headbang: :banana:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
A slingshot is the first shooting tool I made and shot when I was around 11 years old - that is after some local neighborhood kid introduced me to this basic, yet nevertheless demanding concept.

Indeed, at first sight a slingshot gives the impression of simplicity, which is true in a sense, but only until one realizes that it takes the right materials, a safe and practical design, and carefully cut tubes or flat bands with a well adapted pouch and calibrated ammo to achieve consistency when shooting - which in itself is incredibly challenging and at times, quite frustrating until one gets everything right after hours, days, weeks, and months of practice :hmm: .

Like guns and bows, slingshots have that awesome mix of engineering and creative artistic skills, both of which are regularly seen at this forum.

The fact that there are for the most part no significant legal restrictions (except for wrist-braced versions in much of Europe) makes the slingshot ideal for backyard plinking without some pesky neighbor immediately calling Hill street Blues - particularly these days, where anything that just faintly looks like a gun makes a fair number of people hyperventilate, even if it's just a "Red Ryder" BB gun. Liberal political correctness at its very best.

I hope that the relative freedom we have with slingshots in most countries will remain as it is in the future.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts