Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
Looks like I am going to have to get to work on some pseudo tapered bands, AND run my household thermostat up to 85 degrees!!!

Nice job, Henry. And what a great idea for a "club". I was impressed not only by your speed but also by your accuracy at that speed ...

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
Ben, Henry ... I think I have the secret figured out that you guys are using ... It's the BEARD!!!! In that case, I should have this one in the bag.

I am making a new slingshot to use for this effort. Hope to have an entry before long.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
Hey guys ... Well, I did not do 500 fps ... not even 400 fps. But I did shoot over 300 fps with office rubber bands. Check it out here:

As I reported elsewhere, that rig was shooting the 1/4 inch steel pee wees at 270 fps at a room temperature of 66 degrees F. Now, I do not have the privilege of living where the air temperature at this time of year goes up to 80 degrees F (lucky guy, Henry)! So I cheated a little bit. I got out an old warming tray and laid the Altoid tin shooter on it for a few moments and then took my speed shots. In the video I mis-called my highest velocity, and it is actually 329.

I HATE that little pouch, and I dislike that tiny ammo. And I was getting bad hand slaps during the shoot.

Well, that will do me for a little while. I will try some more robust rigs another time.

Cheers .... Charles

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
Sooo, I know this is like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped, but ....

Wood Gas Electronic instrument Machine Electrical wiring

This is my simple, but effective Chrony screen. Get a piece of plexiglass and cut a strip about 3 inches wide and about 10 inches long. Mine was a bit bigger ... it was a scrap piece from another project, and I did not want to bother cutting it. Plexiglass cuts with standard wood working tools. Mine is 3/16 of an inch thick, and I would not go much thinner. Use a heat gun to bend the piece at a right angle in the middle of the long side, giving you an L about 5 inches per side. Then just use a spring clip to clip one leg of the L to the side of the Chrony with the other leg of the L in front of the screen. You can read the screen through the plexiglass just fine. Just lift the plexiglass to reach the off/on switch. This should protect your Chrony from slingshot ammo, though not of course from firearms.

Cheers ....... Charles

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
You guys are trying to shame me!!!! So far I am at the bottom of the pile. Guess I am going to have to get my a$$ in gear and try for a higher speed. Gonna have to break out a couple of star ships and some Tex tubes ....

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
OUCH, OUCH, OUCH .... You guys are getting HARSH with that heavy lead! Any idea what the draw weight on that setup is??? Just imagine what you could do with that rig on a starship .....

Cheers ..... Charles

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.