Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

With the weather starting to turn the corner who would be interested in having a sort of online competition? Using a standard target. 25 shots or whatever. Maybe it could be monthly? I'm not sure if this has been discussed before. But it would exhibit a good display of integrity and an opportunity to compete with fellow enthusiasts. Yardage, Targets, etc could all be worked out by somebody with far more experience than me. Maybe after we get it worked out prizes and gear could be an option?

Any interest?

Cheers
Nick

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bunny Buster use to do this and give away two slingshots. One for best target and another for a in the hat drawing. Unfortunately there was little interest and he stoped it several months ago. Maybe if there was a lot of interest again he would do it. JT

·
Registered
161 Posts
That sounds like fun. I'm a poor shooter, but getting a little better each time I shoot a few times. This type of contest would certainly motivate me to practice more.

·
Registered
175 Posts
sounds like a plan.

-Make a pdf file with a target, something like a darts bullseye
-10meters or 11 yards (1 meter = 1.0936133 yards) shooting distance.
-Maybe fixed ammo size (20mm balls are easyer to group then 6mm bb's, lol)
-And a set number of shots (I'd suggest 7, but i'm biased) anyhow no more then 10 shots, because of paper ripping after just a few grouped inpacts
-after shooting, one takes a fotograph, or a scan to post the results

Personally, I believe the old chalenge failed because you had to film yourself shooting and measuring the distance etc, a bunch of hassle and you needed a decent camera to film it all (me, beeing a poor cattycollector, do not 'yet' have a camera for this and therefor could not participate)

But on this forum we could do this on honor, as we are all(most) adults and there's no prize but praise to be gained.

Edit:
10 meters and 7 shots are the standard values for the Belgian competition.
10 meters because any less can be lucky shots, and more would require slingshots with quite heavy pull, and are for some, not comfortable to shoot with.
7 shots because we use 7 targets of different sizes, and I feel its a decent number to show skill without a blurr of meshed paper target.
Also suggesting marbles (15mm) as ammo, as they're light( again pull issues) , perfectly round and available all over the world.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This sounds quite a good idea I reckon.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to see there is some interest. From the sounds of it we'll be a competitive lot at the lower end as well.. Fighting it out in the basement.

Maybe after we flesh out details and do it a few times we can get prizes and stuff going. I'll donate/buy gear to put up for it.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
I love this idea as i don't have a camera but my cell phone does but with a honor system I think it should just be for fun and knowing you did your best.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I am up for this.

I think the honor system is good. If someone is lacking that much character to not be honest then he/she can win and stay the miserable person he/she is. They would be the loser, not us.

I appreciate the efforts to get something like this going. currently I only have 3/8 shot though.

Ray

·
Registered
286 Posts
...Any interest?...
I think it's a terrific idea, njenkins. I can't compete, but would love to try...

...but if we "standardize" ammo -- It'll probably take awhile for me to dig up the agreed-upon format. (I only shoot 5/16" steel balls and 1/2" white marbles?!)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! I guess we should decide on the specifics then. Obviously with the tear factor, ammo size and number of shots need to be sorted. I think as mentioned earlier a smaller ammo size like 3/8 would be good for this..

Number of shots; 7? 10?

Distance (Meters/Yards/Other??)

Not really sure what is good for everyone. I think we need a basic standard and should go from there. Whether it's 7 shots/6meters, etc. We can always change ammo size/ target/distance later if we want to.. I think with the weather turning, this is something that could take off and be quite fun!!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Let's call it decided. 10 shots with 3/8. (not that my grouping would be close enough with a bigger shot that would tear up the paper in one place)

We should agree to post our photo of our target in a specific forum title like. "March target contest."

Is this a challenge where we pick what ever day of the month we choose to shoot, or make it in the last 7 days of the month. The 7 day window allows for weather issues. I really don't care to much as this is to be on the honor system.

Though keeping it in a 7 day window makes for a week of interest seeing all the targets coming in around the same time.

I am very interested to see some of the experienced shooters and what level of proficiency they are at. I don't care if they win. It will give me motivation to improve.

Ray

1 - 20 of 39 Posts