Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I enjoyed watching that, even subbed to your channel. Are you gonna show some shooting of it

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not sure on the strngth, but so far it's doing well. Try it for yourself and let me know the results ey ...

I like it perhaps the name for your slingshoot could be "the trapper slingshoot" ;-)
One thing you can try is to cut a sting from fur and swen with it?
Anyway keep going.
Last question is this fur comes from a kill done with this slingshoot

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure on the strngth, but so far it's doing well. Try it for yourself and let me know the results ey ...

I like it perhaps the name for your slingshoot could be "the trapper slingshoot" ;-)
One thing you can try is to cut a sting from fur and swen with it?
Anyway keep going.
Last question is this fur comes from a kill done with this slingshoot
[/quote]
That's a nice name, and I understand string from the skins is best when the fur is removed, so I'll be trying that when I learn to tan hides properly; and yes, this was an old kill.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Thanks guys; yes I prep my own skins, this one was simply stretched and squeezed, to give a little flex. And yes it's Pig; but it's also another farmyard animal... that likes to eat twigs and leaves.
Thanks for the video. I was wondering... have you ever cut a skin, let's say to go around 3/4 of the way around the handle of the SS, so there would be a
gap showing and then tried cutting round holes in the pelt and then lace it together instead?

Reactions: whipcrackdeadbunny

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys; yes I prep my own skins, this one was simply stretched and squeezed, to give a little flex. And yes it's Pig; but it's also another farmyard animal... that likes to eat twigs and leaves.
and dont you need to wash it in some sort of fluid? i have no idea how to prep skins but i wish to learn for when i kill my first bunny
[/quote]
Actually, the simplest preperations are just stretching; you can remove the fur with a lye solution, and use tannins for strength, flexibility and colour, but the simplest ones are just scraped and stretched. Rabbit skins are one of the easiest to use, as they're so thin, they hardly need any work.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the video. I was wondering... have you ever cut a skin, let's say to go around 3/4 of the way around the handle of the SS, so there would be a
gap showing and then tried cutting round holes in the pelt and then lace it together instead?
[/quote]
I was thinking of doing exactly that; I decided in the end, to have a replication of what would be available to primitive man (I know, there was no rubber back then) there was plenty of glues, threads and leather available, and this is a mock version of a bow handle method I know. I had every intention of using the tie method, probably with some of the leather sheet in the video, the next time I try something similar. I study primitive living (bushcraft) and I try to have the primitive methods in mind whenever I do something like this, this would have made an excellent handle in the past, practical and pretty ... like me ... tee-hee!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Great well good on you for practicing what looks to be a great hobby also (bushcraft).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts