Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a recipe for all the squirrels you shoot, some people just leave them, but they are a good food sauce, jeff

SQUIRREL STEW
~ 3 squirrels, cleaned and cut up
~ 1/4 cup all purpose flour
~ 1 teaspoon salt
~ 1/2 teaspoon pepper
~ 2 slices bacon
~ 2 tablespoons butter
~ 5 cups of water
~ 1 - 28 oz can whole tomatoes
~ 1 chopped onion
~ 1 heaping tablespoon of brown sugar
~ 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
~ 1 - 10 oz package frozen lima beans
~ 1 cup frozen corn
~ 3 tablespoons all purpose flour

Combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Coat the squirrel pieces.
combine bacon and butter over medium heat until butter melts. Add squirrel and brown.

Add water, tomatoes, onion and brown sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Remove squirrel pieces and let cool. Remove meat from bones.

Add meat, potatoes, beans and corn to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

Mix 3 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of cold water, then stir into stew. Heat to boiling.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, bubbly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Handled properly like Jeff is describing squirrel is very tasty. Skin them while they are still warm and its much easier. Much! And taking them with a catty is better than a shotgun as there is no shot pellets in the meat.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
That sounds pretty darn good. If I ever get out to the country with my heavy duty cattys, I'll be sure to try this. Pretty civilized recipe.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
When I was young I killed a lot of squirrels with an air rifle and they are great eating. I killed a bunch of rats also for farmer friends of mine and I would bet that they are good eating also, but I never tried them!!! A lot of common birds like starlings are tasty also, but can be tough. On another note; I used to fish on a dam at night and the crawdads (I know, but that's what we called them) used to walk up a small stream of water at my feet. I would pick them up one by one and put them in a bucket. If I did not catch fish I had Mug-bugs to eat.
-- Tex (the ramblings of a old man)

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was young I killed a lot of squirrels with an air rifle and they are great eating. I killed a bunch of rats also for farmer friends of mine and I would bet that they are good eating also, but I never tried them!!! A lot of common birds like starlings are tasty also, but can be tough. On another note; I used to fish on a dam at night and the crawdads (I know, but that's what we called them) used to walk up a small stream of water at my feet. I would pick them up one by one and put them in a bucket. If I did not catch fish I had Mug-bugs to eat.
-- Tex (the ramblings of a old man)
You can ramble as much as you like, there is 2 old gents near me both in there 80s and i sit for hours talking to them, about the way they used to hunt in the good old days, ha ha, get a lot of tips off them, jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
I killed a bunch of rats also for farmer friends of mine and I would bet that they are good eating also, but I never tried them!!! A lot of common birds like starlings are tasty also, but can be tough.
I think a lot of stuff, if prepared correctly, would taste good. A lot depends on what your local geographic history considers food. I would be willing to try a lot of stuff made right. Lobster is really a giant sea cockroach.
But as for rats and starlings, I always thought it would be good to think about what that animal eats, groundhogs and squirrels stomachs are always filled with clean grass, nuts, and peoples nice garden vegetables, raccoons and rats eat a lot of disgusting stuff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's it taste like?
The stew tastes lovely, squirrel tastes a bit like a sweeter meat, a bit like rabbit, i made pie with them as well, with a bit of bacon and black pudding in, jeff
[/quote]

This pie sounds nice!
Read somewhere (pretty obv if ya think about it!) that cos of the amount of scurrying about they do and exersise they get their meat is pretty fat free. Not tried it YET myself but am willing to (esp that pie!).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just like to add, squirell stew sounds yummy also, dumplings a must!

·
Registered
88 Posts
- Tex (the ramblings of a old man)
You can ramble as much as you like, there is 2 old gents near me both in there 80s and i sit for hours talking to them, about the way they used to hunt in the good old days, ha ha, get a lot of tips off them, jeff
[/quote]

I could not agree more Jeff. Spending time with outdoorsman that have some seasons on them is time well spent. They have been there and done that and its fun and entertaining to hear how it was from someone that was already an adult 50 or even 70 years ago. I once ran into a man in the woods that had to be 85. He was training dogs. I sat on a log with that dude for hours listening as he talked from one thing to another. Good times man.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
What things eat is also determined a lot where a critter lives. A farm rat is usually pretty clean. I also like Squab very much, but not from the center of town. A deer that lives in the salt cedar hills don't taste real good. I don't care for rabbit from an asparagus field. How about a tasty mushroom, from a patch of poison ivy, does that sound good. I don't want a fish from some rivers I have been around, unless allowed to live in clean water a few days. Oh, and after what I know about opossums I don't think I want any. Hmmm, have you ever raised chickens and seen what they eat?
-- Tex

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What things eat is also determined a lot where a critter lives. A farm rat is usually pretty clean. I also like Squab very much, but not from the center of town. A deer that lives in the salt cedar hills don't taste real good. I don't care for rabbit from an asparagus field. How about a tasty mushroom, from a patch of poison ivy, does that sound good. I don't want a fish from some rivers I have been around, unless allowed to live in clean water a few days. Oh, and after what I know about opossums I don't think I want any. Hmmm, have you ever raised chickens and seen what they eat?
-- Tex
Ive worked in a butches when i was younger, and seen what go,s into pork pie ha ha, all the pig, jeff

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
-- Tex
I hear ya Tex, about what they eat and or where they hang out can be a negative. I remember one of my first tastes of catfish. Tasted the way mud on the bottom of a warm pond smells. Bleck!!!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Here is a recipe for all the squirrels you shoot, some people just leave them, but they are a good food sauce, jeff

SQUIRREL STEW
~ 3 squirrels, cleaned and cut up
~ 1/4 cup all purpose flour
~ 1 teaspoon salt
~ 1/2 teaspoon pepper
~ 2 slices bacon
~ 2 tablespoons butter
~ 5 cups of water
~ 1 - 28 oz can whole tomatoes
~ 1 chopped onion
~ 1 heaping tablespoon of brown sugar
~ 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
~ 1 - 10 oz package frozen lima beans
~ 1 cup frozen corn
~ 3 tablespoons all purpose flour

Combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Coat the squirrel pieces.
combine bacon and butter over medium heat until butter melts. Add squirrel and brown.

Add water, tomatoes, onion and brown sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Remove squirrel pieces and let cool. Remove meat from bones.

Add meat, potatoes, beans and corn to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

Mix 3 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of cold water, then stir into stew. Heat to boiling.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, bubbly.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Just like to add, squirell stew sounds yummy also, dumplings a must!
Its nice stir fried, coated with flour, and lighty fried, nice and tender, jeff
[/quote]

Stir fry squirrell is one of my favourites, I broil the whole carcass in herbs for about an hour, the meat will fall of the bone then and it's a very efficient way to get a lot of meat off the tree rat, but then I'll fry it with veg and sometimes have it in crispy pancakes, I find it tastes almost exactly like, Duck. mmmm.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sadly, as i live in Germany, i'm not allowed to hunt any game. Not with a slingshot and not with a crossbow, airgun, bow...

But maybe i'll find some squirrel-meat at the butcher and than i will try to make such a pie.

Friedrich

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sadly, as i live in Germany, i'm not allowed to hunt any game. Not with a slingshot and not with a crossbow, airgun, bow...

But maybe i'll find some squirrel-meat at the butcher and than i will try to make such a pie.

Friedrich
Are you not allowed to kill vermin? in the uk, rats, pidgeons, squirrell and rabbit are all vermin and we can shoot them whenever we want.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts