Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've been drooling over stabilized wood pieces lately. Please see the attached picture for reference.
They generally come in blocks and are meant for knife scales.

Could I just cut them in 1/4" (6mm) thick pieces and use them as scales for a slingshot?... do they generally look awesome on the inside as well, or is it just the surface that looks trippy?
Anything special to think about when using such material?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Absolutely, go for it. If he's done a proper job it'll be all the way through. But cut them 3/8" 10 mm , a 1/4" doesn't give you enough material to play with .

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
A very fine and/or exotic wood I use as scales around aluminum core, it looks best this way to me. The thickness of the scales depend on the design and can be combined with other types of wood (palm swell etc.)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yes, it is possible to create scales if you have the equipment to make clean square perfectly flat slabs out of the block. As to whether it is "funky" all the way through the block, that depends on how it was done. If it was a DIY job, I won't be too confident but if it a properly done piece made with industrial production facilities then yes. The dye and resin is suposed to be be fully impregnated throughout the piece by a combining a vacuum followed by pressuring process to drive the medium into the wood. This stuff isn't cheap though... good luck with the project if you do attempt it and do show us the result!

·
Registered
77 Posts
E-Bay sellers will be hit and miss as to quality. Likely they will have used proper vacuum to pull out all moisture and infuse the stabilizer nearly completely.

Let us kow how this works out. The example you posted looked really nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts