Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of what I done did today while it were snowing without the house. Made them out of 1/4" stainless rod.

Attachments

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Baumstaam, I'll trade what for one of your slingshots? Looks to me like you can make anything you want, but I'm listening. You know I like your shooters, but mine aren't as nice looking as yours. I plan on putting wooden handles on the other two Chinese style slingshots I bent up, but it will take me a little while.

·
Registered
126 Posts
very nice
nothing says testosterone like stainless steel! ;)
i like the 2nd one (bottom left) the best where the forks are more perpendicular at the bend
have you thought of making one with lower forks and/or welding and the top of the handle to make it more rigid?

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, once it's wrapped it is very rigid. I wouldn't want fork height shorter either. I did a lot of measuring just for my hand and it's just right. The only thing that is wrong is I planned the jig for 5/16" stainless and haven't gotten around to buying any yet. That will do away with any question about being rigid enough also. I'm practicing with the 1/4" to save a little money until I feel like I have the techniques down well enough.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Honestly, once it's wrapped it is very rigid. I wouldn't want fork height shorter either. I did a lot of measuring just for my hand and it's just right. The only thing that is wrong is I planned the jig for 5/16" stainless and haven't gotten around to buying any yet. That will do away with any question about being rigid enough also. I'm practicing with the 1/4" to save a little money until I feel like I have the techniques down well enough.
my mistake
i thought you were making those to sell them

·
Registered
855 Posts
how did you go about make that. ive wanted to. did you just bend it in a vice or what? how did you get the angles even. please explain. i would love to know. iwant to make some like that.
Smitty makes his own jigs and then uses a MAPP torch to heat the rod and shape it on the jig. There's a post around here somewhere where he shows one of his jigs, but I can't find it at the moment.
DSCN0567.JPG DSCN0568.JPG

Poof! Just like magic! Thanks for the help Pelleteer!
PS...Wear gloves, don't try to use pliers, it just scars up the metal as you heat and bend.

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Smitty makes his own jigs and then uses a MAPP torch to heat the rod and shape it on the jig. There's a post around here somewhere where he shows one of his jigs, but I can't find it at the moment.
View attachment 359 View attachment 360

Poof! Just like magic! Thanks for the help Pelleteer!
PS...Wear gloves, don't try to use pliers, it just scars up the metal as you heat and bend.
Hey! Thanks, smitty! I was just checking out your blog and saw the jig picture and it reminded me of this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts