Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

how you hunters, proceed to get as close as to be able to shoot your pray with a catty?

to be at less than 15 m to a rabbit is a real challenge.

Some time, i'am training a that, without catty, just for fun: walk 3 steps, still, 3 step more, still... trying to be on the good side of the wind.

Actually, they run away before i could reach them, at about 30 m

Experienced hunters advices are welcome

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
For a start mate, I suggest you don't take a catty with you at first, you'll soon learn to quiet the mind of hunting thoughts when you do have one (that may sound strange but trust me and try it) Then, Rabbits' eyes are not designed for distance, if you crouch down they think you're further away; they also recognise the body shape, eyes and mouth ratio more than they do anything else, wear a blanket/cape/poncho to break up the body line, and a scarf to hide the mouth or one eye if you prefer (don't try an eye patch, it still looks like an eye) Rabbits' main senses are their ears, step slowly and confidently, to not make a bass-note footfall; I have had conversations, feet away from rabbits, but they always run if they hear my footsteps. Aproach from down-wind, they will run and hide if they smell you. And finally, outwit the buggers, give them an hour or so, while you sit disguised outside their warren and shoot them when you deem fit. I don't have any trouble getting 10ft from a rabbit, let alone 15m with these techniques. Easy peasy.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
out of your car window, you can get right close, never shoot a rabbit near a hole in the fence or near its hole, cos even though the rabbit is dead they still move with nerves, try getting a camo net, and just sit without shoot a few times to let the rabbits get used to it, jeff

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
The way I shoot, 30m is not cruelty, it's a waste of ammo. I "couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
That's subjective, in terms of kinetic energy you're going to require a terminal energy of around 8-10 Joules to achieve sufficient penetration - which I believe is achievable even at 30m, but if fail to hit them in the head or 'boiler room' and you're going to cause them an awful lot of unnecessary pain...

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Hi Joseph_Curwen

Stalking rabbits is not an exact science you always have to consider terrain, if your in an area around bushes and trees you can try and use these to help mask your approach always remember their best vision is on the sides as all prey species are born with their eyes set on the sides to be watchful of predators. I've even crawled at times to get closer

In other words trying to make a blindside is the best you can do and crouching, as shot in the foot said will confuse the rabbit's sense of your distance. I also think that shot in the foot's advice regarding getting to know your hunting area is a good idea before you actually hunt.

The closest I was able to shoot a rabbit was 25+ yards and I broke its back ( it dragged its hind legs) with a stone and then quickly finished it with a stone to the head at 20 yards.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Killed rabbits and squirrels with 9/16"steel and .530 lead.Shot thru rabbits but not squirrels.Squirrels have very tough hide.Have shot them in the ribs and killed them dead.The ball drove there hide thru there ribs with a big hole in the ribs but the hide rebounded and didn't leave a mark on the squirrel.Squirrel hide is so tough some Indians made bow strings from it.

·
1,414 Posts
Killed rabbits and squirrels with 9/16"steel and .530 lead.Shot thru rabbits but not squirrels.Squirrels have very tough hide.Have shot them in the ribs and killed them dead.The ball drove there hide thru there ribs with a big hole in the ribs but the hide rebounded and didn't leave a mark on the squirrel.Squirrel hide is so tough some Indians made bow strings from it.
I agree, I think many people erroneously believe that Rabbits are tougher than Squirrels simply because they're bigger. Only a few weeks ago I hit a Squirrel in the chest with a 1/2" ball bearing, using my PS-2 from 7 metres, the Squirrel just rolled over (from the impact,) and bolted straight up the nearest tree, there wasn't a drop of blood and it appeared unscathed, I've ordered some 0.44" lead and shall be confining myself to head-shots, as my friends who hunt assure me that this is more humane.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Rabbits have very thin hide, you can skin them without a knife, not so with bushy tails. 44 cal lead for them. Tough crriters.
Philly

·
1,414 Posts
Rabbits have very thin hide, you can skin them without a knife, not so with bushy tails. 44 cal lead for them. Tough crriters.
Philly
Yeah, I'm going to keep my steel for target shooting from now on.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
That's really interesting and useful.

·
1,414 Posts
That's really interesting and useful.
[/quote]
This is exactly what I wanted this section of the forum to be: a collection of everyone's joint expertise.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Jaybird,
Interesting post.
Currently I don't have a vehicle to drive, so I am not able to get to any good hunting grounds, but in two months, I will have a Jeep Wrangler. Then I'll be able to go deep into the woods and do some rabbit and squirrel hunting. I want to use the fur, but don't know how. I saw a kid on the internet who used squirrel hide for his slingshot pouch.
Anyways, I have two questions for you. Do you think squirrel hide would make a good pouch? And, can you point me to a site with some basic, not-too-technical instructions on preparing rabbit and squirrel hides for use?

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Dayhiker
I have never tried using squirrel hides.They may make good pouches,you will have to experiment,please let us know.I know the Indians buried them in Oak ashes and it made the hair slip off easy.They did it with deer hides also.They cured them with the deers brains.What there recipies were I do not know.To start you could buy a tanning kit from Gander Mt.Punch up Taxidermy they may have the answer for you.Sorry I am not much help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jaybird,
Interesting post.
Currently I don't have a vehicle to drive, so I am not able to get to any good hunting grounds, but in two months, I will have a Jeep Wrangler. Then I'll be able to go deep into the woods and do some rabbit and squirrel hunting. I want to use the fur, but don't know how. I saw a kid on the internet who used squirrel hide for his slingshot pouch.
Anyways, I have two questions for you. Do you think squirrel hide would make a good pouch? And, can you point me to a site with some basic, not-too-technical instructions on preparing rabbit and squirrel hides for use?
[/quote]

You can buy tanning kits several places on the web but they cost a few bucks and are hardly worth it for one tree rat. I would skin them, salt them ( non iodized) and freeze them. When you have a few tan a batch at once, not much more effort than doing one. I do not know if they would make good pouch leather. The critter with the really tough hide is the Eastern woodchuck., if you get one of these make sure your knife is sharp. Think "road kill."
frosty2

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
A 8mm steel ball go's though squirrels, rats are the hardest to kill, ive hit them with a spade in the barns and nearly cut them in half and the dogs have had the finish them off, they just keep going, squirrelsare all mussel, they have to be to clime and jump from tree to tree, jeff

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.