Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resigned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some more Oak and Mahogany off-cuts from a friend. I decided to try for a more simple board-cut, rather than mess around
with laminates. I'm happy with them they both fit my hand really well, just waiting for some leather to make some pouches.
Thanks for looking, Martin.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Very nice.

One thing that would have me fearful of my face. Is seeing forks break off in the past with more wood holding the fork to the handle than these.

Say I'm over reacting or a scaredy cat but it should be a very, very big concern with so little wood to holding these beautiful forks. Even if it has never happened, it only takes one fork letting loose to regret not reinforcing them.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Very nice.

One thing that would have me fearful of my face. Is seeing forks break off in the past with more wood holding the fork to the handle than these.

Say I'm over reacting or a scaredy cat but it should be a very, very big concern with so little wood to holding these beautiful forks. Even if it has never happened, it only takes one fork letting loose to regret not reinforcing them.
Most of the pressure will be on the forks, and ive fired a lot thinner naturals than that with no brake,
nice work love them, jeff

·
Resigned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice.

These non laminated versions have a steel pin running down the handle, I should have mentioned this in the original post.
I'm not taking any risks.
Martin

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Definitively I like your style Martin. I hope more ahead does not bother to see some to you of my forks inspired by some model yours. then until the moment I have not done any of board, I hope to please your pupil my friend.

Chepo

·
Resigned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive been shooting a rough version
of the mahogany shooter for about three months, same shape just
roughly sanded no metal pin. Ive had no problem with it, even with my version of hunter bands on it.
If you hold it the way it is designed to be held you have no pressure on that part of the handle, and although it looks fragile the handle at this point is still three quarters of an inch thick.
I put the pin in the one in the picture because I was worried about getting this sort of response.
The other is made from oak its almost an inch thick and even when clamped in the vise I could not break it.
Martin

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Ive been shooting a rough version
of the mahogany shooter for about three months, same shape just
roughly sanded no metal pin. Ive had no problem with it, even with my version of hunter bands on it.
If you hold it the way it is designed to be held you have no pressure on that part of the handle, and although it looks fragile the handle at this point is still three quarters of an inch thick.
I put the pin in the one in the picture because I was worried about getting this sort of response.
The other is made from oak its almost an inch thick and even when clamped in the vise I could not break it.
Martin
I'm pretty sure these are good to go Martin. They look fantastic and I bet they shoot just fine (or better). I'd be a guinea pig for any of them- pinned or not. Carry on Sir!

·
Banned
388 Posts
as with all board cuts its down to the shooter,as with my boardcuts if you hit it with a shot itll break,but not on pulling back.

i love the shape of your catapults mate some real eye catchers.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,623 Posts
These are real pretty forks.
Even so...The thin wood will most likely ,not withstand a fork hit, especially with some powerful bands. The handle is not normally an issue, but the forks look delicate on these.
I seen chief aj break a large osage fork with an errant fork hit. Mahogany is not the strongest of woods.
I am sticking with the laminate slingshots. As far as I know....no one has broken a BB laminate. I usually like to put in a hard maple center.

·
Resigned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are real pretty forks.
Even so...The thin wood will most likely ,not withstand a fork hit, especially with some powerful bands. The handle is not normally an issue, but the forks look delicate on these.
I seen chief aj break a large osage fork with an errant fork hit. Mahogany is not the strongest of woods.
I am sticking with the laminate slingshots. As far as I know....no one has broken a BB laminate. I usually like to put in a hard maple center.
99% of mine are laminated. If messing about with a new design I will make a standard board cut, just to see what it feels like.
That is how this started out, the rough cut ive been using will stay as it is, the oak will have a micarta facing. Even though I like the mahogany shooter as it is I am going to laminate it with micarta.
I have 2 in the works one mahogany laminated with micarta and yew, and the other will be an oak and walnut laminate.
Martin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts