Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't really planning on making a natty, but then life gave me a little nudge. A recent storm knocked a big chunk off of one of our trees (wild plumb I think). Looking at the downed limb, I naturally saw a few forks....

The wood was really wet, obviously since the tree was alive and happy three days before. I cut a few forks and tried to speed dry them in the microwave. This worked pretty well but I over did it and cracked them a bit. The bigger fork got a pretty major crack.

I contacted @SLING-N-SHOT and told him I loved the way his turquoise crack fill looked and said I would like to have a go at it. He was very gracious in encouraging me to give it a try and providing some advice on cracks and natty making in general. My favorite piece of the advice being the "sand until your fingers bleed" bit. 馃

Will see where this ends up but here are a few pics of my getting going. And in the natty spirit, except for the microwave for drying all hand tools only so far (camp saw, pocket knife, files, hand saws, sand paper, etc.), even though it is really tempting to use the power sanders and band saw.

If things go well and I get them done before the end of the month I may dip my toe into SOTM to participate and provide some fodder to help the real gems stand out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next is the 鈥楨piphany of the Natty鈥. It is the moment when you realize that you might shoot your self-made Natty better than your $350 custom made Mother of all Slingshots!

I'm looking forward to this epiphany. I don't have any custom frames (yet) but I did realize I can get the fork width exactly where I want it with these. So I do have my hopes up for them shooting well.

Also looking forward to trying a custom from some of the fine makers here someday, if I ever I figure out exactly what I want in a frame.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They are coming along. Small one is through rough sanding and I think I like the shape- will probably leave it there. The big one still has quite a bit more shaping with the rasp of death to go (Shinto rasp- I can't remember who gave it the RoD monicker but it is a perfect descriptor).

For these first ones I decided to go all hand tools and have stuck to that so far. May use a drill for a lanyard hole on the big one but other than that will see if I get there with hand tools only. Next time the power sanders will really come in handy. Think I could've roughed a nice conus out of the big branch in an hour or less with the belt sander and band saw.

Registered
They are coming along. Small one is through rough sanding and I think I like the shape- will probably leave it there. The big one still has quite a bit more shaping with the rasp of death to go (Shinto rasp- I can't remember who gave it the RoD monicker but it is a perfect descriptor).

For these first ones I decided to go all hand tools and have stuck to that so far. May use a drill for a lanyard hole on the big one but other than that will see if I get there with hand tools only. Next time the power sanders will really come in handy. Think I could've roughed a nice conus out of the big branch in an hour or less with the belt sander and band saw.

View attachment 352392
I'm a huge fan of "quiet builds". I only use hand tools with the exception of a chordless drill to bore the lanyard hole. I haven't found the right hand drill yet. 馃槙. Beautiful work on those natties my friend.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a huge fan of "quiet builds". I only use hand tools with the exception of a chordless drill to bore the lanyard hole. I haven't found the right hand drill yet. 馃槙. Beautiful work on those natties my friend.
Quiet is good. Something I often have when out shooting slingshots or bows. And getting this far into these without reaching for hearing protection even a single time has been really nice too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big one is on the rasp of death diet. Has lost about half it's weight and almost fits in my hand now.

Also, I was suspicious that this whole natty thing might be a conspiracy to distract me from bow making. And while the natty's are sucking up a good deal of time, my latest bow attempt (white oak backed maple) is still puttering along. Slowly but coming

1 - 20 of 20 Posts