Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mojave Mo
5,583 Posts
It is at these moments I wish I was 7 years old again. I took squirrels, doves, quail, rabbits pheasants and one duck throughout my youth on round granite pebbles that I was always on the lookout for while running the river. My jar never got below half full. I would use marbles only when I didn't mind to lose a few raggedy ones I'd score shooting marbles with the other kids.
Even when I got a clean headshot me or one of my buddies would be running towards the critter to step on its head or stick them in the ear with our Buck knife.
I only run if I am chased now so that option is out. Fishing sinkers are easy to get. I did get a richochet once from a missed 9.5mm steel shot that was about two whiskers away from the 'no way zone' once, but I am done having kids.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Mojave Mo
5,583 Posts
A pop corn popper, now thats just plain awesome hahaha...now I've heard it all. I'm looking for a cheap single ball mould or two, in probably .36 & .44. Been looking online and the prices vary widely so I'm having a tricky time. Also I'm trying to source my lead before I get myself too far into the game so to speak lol.
If I read SJAaz correctly all you need is a flathead screwdriver, a flashlight, and a rentalcar parking lot?

· Mojave Mo
5,583 Posts
When I started on slingshots again as an adult, I was shooting cat eye marbles exclusively. They are quite cheap here, $1 gets me 100 of them. I then bought 10 and 12mm lead mould of Ebay, I recycle lead from old car batteries (yes, I know it is risky, dangerous , messy....) but it is the only reliable source I got.
Steel is expensive to buy and ship, but I discovered local car garages that demolish cv joints and discard steel balls, I once collected two 20lt bucket loads of mixed steel ball sizes.
I'm now searching for an 8mm fishing mould, that cast 10 balls or more at once. I have a Lee precision mould for 2 ball, but I can't use it because I don't have a melting pot with a "tap" to pour the led into it.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Hey Kenya! What is the critter in your Avatar, and can you eat them? Just curious! Mo

· Mojave Mo
5,583 Posts
When I started on slingshots again as an adult, I was shooting cat eye marbles exclusively. They are quite cheap here, $1 gets me 100 of them. I then bought 10 and 12mm lead mould of Ebay, I recycle lead from old car batteries (yes, I know it is risky, dangerous , messy....) but it is the only reliable source I got.
Steel is expensive to buy and ship, but I discovered local car garages that demolish cv joints and discard steel balls, I once collected two 20lt bucket loads of mixed steel ball sizes.
I'm now searching for an 8mm fishing mould, that cast 10 balls or more at once. I have a Lee precision mould for 2 ball, but I can't use it because I don't have a melting pot with a "tap" to pour the led into it.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Hey Kenya! What is the critter in your Avatar, and can you eat them? Just curious! Mo

They are meerkats, very beautiful, little, watchful creatures. We don't eat them, I love them

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the education. I will love them as well!

· Mojave Mo
5,583 Posts
Alright. You put the lead in my head. I was buying pre-made from the muzzleloader but casting my own will be more satisfying in the long run. Check out Marty's Arms out of Utah. Just under $100.00 for this .038" which is like 9.6mm. Squirrel, rabbit, quail, and grouse just fall out of the woods around here. My family will be fed and I'll make my money back selling meat to the starving neighbors. I found them via eBay and saved a few bucks buying from Marty's website. Shoot Straight and Prosper! Moses
15165310fd4a19d7f71a1cb50bb6ead4.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.