21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Reactions: bingo

· Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ther just what a need how do a find tge 8 or 9 mm size buddy ther a good price thanks man
No worries man glad to help, the one that says '.36 cal' thats basically 9mm. The closest I can find is what Im using which is .36 cal (.375) which is on that page.

Sounds like we're after the same moulds lol.

Reactions: SJAaz

· Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks man a found a big old lump of lead afew week back and thought about making some shots up a think am gony buy one o them moulds never shot lead but seems I works well for hunting awesome thanks dude for your help
Nice score man that should work out for you & no worries always happy to pass on what I find! You'll be a convert once you shoot lead, its really a whole different animal. Just be sure to post your results or make a thread with some photos when you make your first batch of homebrew 9mm!

Reactions: bingo

· Registered
3,327 Posts
Thanks man a found a big old lump of lead afew week back and thought about making some shots up a think am gony buy one o them moulds never shot lead but seems I works well for hunting awesome thanks dude for your help
Nice score man that should work out for you & no worries always happy to pass on what I find! You'll be a convert once you shoot lead, its really a whole different animal. Just be sure to post your results or make a thread with some photos when you make your first batch of homebrew 9mm!
thanks a will be sure to do so thanks again ????

· Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Am also looking for moulds for 8 9 mm but prices are steep and wen a was gony buy a 10 shot mould the shop says 6 weeks waiting
It is not the idea set, Bingo...but if you can get some old 8mm, 9mm, or 10mm sockets. You can put a wood screw through the top and attach them to a 2x4.

Then carefully fill them with molten lead (wear thick leather gloves and stand back). After the lead cools give the board a sharp whack and out comes some nasty lead hunting ammo.

But none of it will be ball shaped. So accuracy is a little skewed.

· Premium Member
3,334 Posts
For me it would be .32 cal. guess thats around 8mm
That is my favorite diameter for overall and all around damage.

Buckskin Dave sent me some .36 cal...and I have a few left for bustong water bottle and jugs

Once someone feels the joy of that clean energy transfer...well, they're hooked.

· Registered
3,327 Posts
Am also looking for moulds for 8 9 mm but prices are steep and wen a was gony buy a 10 shot mould the shop says 6 weeks waiting
It is not the idea set, Bingo...but if you can get some old 8mm, 9mm, or 10mm sockets. You can put a wood screw through the top and attach them to a 2x4.

Then carefully fill them with molten lead (wear thick leather gloves and stand back). After the lead cools give the board a sharp whack and out comes some nasty lead hunting ammo.

But none of it will be ball shaped. So accuracy is a little skewed.
good idea a have quite afew of them sockets aswell thanks for advice ????

· Registered
52 Posts
Hello All,

I prefer lead over all other ammo types , in my book it is the perfect material for ammo.

I cast my lead ammo in an old fishing sinker mould that I found in a second hand shop , it makes quite acceptable slingshot ammo.

Steel is good , but hard to find where I live , steel also ricochetes badly , I don't like that :D.

But I also shoot anything that is more or less round and is of reasonable weight , I don't get overly hung-up over these things.

:D :D :D :D.

Cheers.

· Registered
266 Posts
When I started on slingshots again as an adult, I was shooting cat eye marbles exclusively. They are quite cheap here, $1 gets me 100 of them. I then bought 10 and 12mm lead mould of Ebay, I recycle lead from old car batteries (yes, I know it is risky, dangerous , messy....) but it is the only reliable source I got.
Steel is expensive to buy and ship, but I discovered local car garages that demolish cv joints and discard steel balls, I once collected two 20lt bucket loads of mixed steel ball sizes.
I'm now searching for an 8mm fishing mould, that cast 10 balls or more at once. I have a Lee precision mould for 2 ball, but I can't use it because I don't have a melting pot with a "tap" to pour the led into it.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk

· Mojave Mo
5,584 Posts
When I started on slingshots again as an adult, I was shooting cat eye marbles exclusively. They are quite cheap here, $1 gets me 100 of them. I then bought 10 and 12mm lead mould of Ebay, I recycle lead from old car batteries (yes, I know it is risky, dangerous , messy....) but it is the only reliable source I got.
Steel is expensive to buy and ship, but I discovered local car garages that demolish cv joints and discard steel balls, I once collected two 20lt bucket loads of mixed steel ball sizes.
I'm now searching for an 8mm fishing mould, that cast 10 balls or more at once. I have a Lee precision mould for 2 ball, but I can't use it because I don't have a melting pot with a "tap" to pour the led into it.

Hey Kenya! What is the critter in your Avatar, and can you eat them? Just curious! Mo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
391 Posts
Lead is best, steel is easier, marbles are plentiful.

Reactions: BushpotChef

· Super Moderator
6,063 Posts

Hey Kenya! What is the critter in your Avatar, and can you eat them? Just curious! Mo

Meerkat (Suricata Suricatta) - mischievous but cute little guys. Bit like you mo...

· Registered
266 Posts

They are meerkats, very beautiful, little, watchful creatures. We don't eat them, I love them

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,754 Posts
Yeah I've heard that, so much lead free crap out there these days.

Where would I get one of those cups you have? I honestly have no problem making my lead Civil War style i.e. over an open fire, with a little melting pan, and a single shot mould or two. I've wanted to do this for some time and I want to get set up to do it before spring is in full swing lol.
Shoot BC.. you can heat lead in a small cheap frying pan. Anything that will hold together at a higher temp than lead. Wheel weights aren't lead anymore? Guess you'll have to pick an old tire shop.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.