Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,063 Posts
They actually can make good pets. Know of at least 2 people who had orphaned ones when I was a kid. Its illegal in South Africa to take them from the wild or keep them as domesticated animals.

They are also known to be extremely inquisitive and clever - and funny.

· Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hello All,

I prefer lead over all other ammo types , in my book it is the perfect material for ammo.

I cast my lead ammo in an old fishing sinker mould that I found in a second hand shop , it makes quite acceptable slingshot ammo.

Steel is good , but hard to find where I live , steel also ricochetes badly , I don't like that :D.

But I also shoot anything that is more or less round and is of reasonable weight , I don't get overly hung-up over these things.

:D :D :D :D.

Cheers.
Thats good stuff ZS1 - and me neither, if it looks like it'll shoot - its going in the pouch!

When I started on slingshots again as an adult, I was shooting cat eye marbles exclusively. They are quite cheap here, $1 gets me 100 of them. I then bought 10 and 12mm lead mould of Ebay, I recycle lead from old car batteries (yes, I know it is risky, dangerous , messy....) but it is the only reliable source I got.
Steel is expensive to buy and ship, but I discovered local car garages that demolish cv joints and discard steel balls, I once collected two 20lt bucket loads of mixed steel ball sizes.
I'm now searching for an 8mm fishing mould, that cast 10 balls or more at once. I have a Lee precision mould for 2 ball, but I can't use it because I don't have a melting pot with a "tap" to pour the led into it.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Thats me too man, marbles were my primary ammo for a long time. You're a roughneck for breaking down those batteries for their lead content, I'll give it a try at some point, but as anyone who knows me knows - I've already done my dance with an acid burn from an accident as a kid - no fun at all.I agrree with your points on steel as well, I'll be looking more into casting my own lead as the days pass. Thanks for chiming in. :)

· Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah I've heard that, so much lead free crap out there these days.

Where would I get one of those cups you have? I honestly have no problem making my lead Civil War style i.e. over an open fire, with a little melting pan, and a single shot mould or two. I've wanted to do this for some time and I want to get set up to do it before spring is in full swing lol.
Shoot BC.. you can heat lead in a small cheap frying pan. Anything that will hold together at a higher temp than lead. Wheel weights aren't lead anymore? Guess you'll have to pick an old tire shop.
I've been beating this idea around for a while, theres quite a few small (5" dia.) cast iron pans at the thrift store, or should I just roll with modern steel pan? Either way theres a TON of them for between $0.25-$2.00 so I can try a couple. And Im acutally looking at an old tire shop near where I used to live Im going to give them a try tomorrow.

Reactions: SJAaz

· Registered
3,425 Posts
As a comparison, if you shoot 8 mm lead ball and 9.04 mm steel ball (both weighting 3.04 g) with an arbitrary setup of 4.667 kg draw power and 75 cm draw length, then you have:

Font Parallel Number Pattern Rectangle

Both having same weight and shot under same parameters, lead (of course) performs better:

- it will reach longer range than steel

- its terminal energy will be higher (at the moment of impact with the ground)

- if both shot at a target at 15 m, 1.5 m high, than lead needs less elevation.

Besides other advantages of lead, such as less ricochet, and (at least with me, availability and possibility to mold my own ammo), still a steel ball of some 9 mm (same weight as 8 mm lead) is more manageable for me due to my arthritis.

(9.5 mm steel ball being even more manageable for me and not too heavy.)

So, as always, it seems that it boils down to personal preferences and circumstances..

cheers,

jazz

Attachments

· Mojave Mo
5,584 Posts
When I started on slingshots again as an adult, I was shooting cat eye marbles exclusively. They are quite cheap here, $1 gets me 100 of them. I then bought 10 and 12mm lead mould of Ebay, I recycle lead from old car batteries (yes, I know it is risky, dangerous , messy....) but it is the only reliable source I got.
Steel is expensive to buy and ship, but I discovered local car garages that demolish cv joints and discard steel balls, I once collected two 20lt bucket loads of mixed steel ball sizes.
I'm now searching for an 8mm fishing mould, that cast 10 balls or more at once. I have a Lee precision mould for 2 ball, but I can't use it because I don't have a melting pot with a "tap" to pour the led into it.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Hey Kenya! What is the critter in your Avatar, and can you eat them? Just curious! Mo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
They are meerkats, very beautiful, little, watchful creatures. We don't eat them, I love them

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the education. I will love them as well!

· Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
As a comparison, if you shoot 8 mm lead ball and 9.04 mm steel ball (both weighting 3.04 g) with an arbitrary setup of 4.667 kg draw power and 75 cm draw length, then you have:

attachicon.gif
comparison.jpg

Both having same weight and shot under same parameters, lead (of course) performs better:

- it will reach longer range than steel

- its terminal energy will be higher (at the moment of impact with the ground)

- if both shot at a target at 15 m, 1.5 m high, than lead needs less elevation.

Besides other advantages of lead, such as less ricochet, and (at least with me, availability and possibility to mold my own ammo), still a steel ball of some 9 mm (same weight as 8 mm lead) is more manageable for me due to my arthritis.

(9.5 mm steel ball being even more manageable for me and not too heavy.)

So, as always, it seems that it boils down to personal preferences and circumstances..

cheers,

jazz
Wow @jazz thanks for that info and chart my friend - dropping that knowledge! I must say the one thing that stuck out to me was that even though the projectiles have the same weight, the lead requires less elevation. Is this primarily due to surface area of the larger steel ball causing drag to slow it down faster?

Fascinating stuff. :)

Reactions: jazz

· Registered
3,425 Posts
Wow @jazz thanks for that info and chart my friend - dropping that knowledge! I must say the one thing that stuck out to me was that even though the projectiles have the same weight, the lead requires less elevation. Is this primarily due to surface area of the larger steel ball causing drag to slow it down faster?

Fascinating stuff. :)

Yes, in this case the larger surface of the steel ball, which is in the contact with the air during flight (the silhouette, or reference area as they call it) makes more drag. That is the reason materials of more density make better projectiles, all other parameters equal. And lead is the champion because it is available at a more decent costs than, say, gold...

cheers,

jazz

· Registered
2,754 Posts
Ther just what a need how do a find tge 8 or 9 mm size buddy ther a good price thanks man
No worries man glad to help, the one that says '.36 cal' thats basically 9mm. The closest I can find is what Im using which is .36 cal (.375) which is on that page.

Sounds like we're after the same moulds lol.
Guys to figure caliber size multiply by 4. Ergo 9mm X 4 = 36.

· Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ther just what a need how do a find tge 8 or 9 mm size buddy ther a good price thanks man
No worries man glad to help, the one that says '.36 cal' thats basically 9mm. The closest I can find is what Im using which is .36 cal (.375) which is on that page.
Sounds like we're after the same moulds lol.
Guys to figure caliber size multiply by 4. Ergo 9mm X 4 = 36.
Jeeeze there's a useful little bit of info thanks man that's awesome!

· Mojave Mo
5,584 Posts
Alright. You put the lead in my head. I was buying pre-made from the muzzleloader but casting my own will be more satisfying in the long run. Check out Marty's Arms out of Utah. Just under $100.00 for this .038" which is like 9.6mm. Squirrel, rabbit, quail, and grouse just fall out of the woods around here. My family will be fed and I'll make my money back selling meat to the starving neighbors. I found them via eBay and saved a few bucks buying from Marty's website. Shoot Straight and Prosper! Moses
15165310fd4a19d7f71a1cb50bb6ead4.jpg

· Registered
4,033 Posts
Here’s the clays, lead & glass I typically shoot with their weights for comparison. Note the similar weight between the 20mm clay & 5/8 glass, but the 20mm ball (obviously) has substantially more surface area. I use the 20mm’s on doves, pigeons, grackles, starlings & even a few unlucky HOSP’s I hammered with them.

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Does anyone sell lead shots? 3/8? I dont really have to means to make my own.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk
Go here and scroll down: https://pocketpredator.com/three.htmllead ball ammo is cast from triple cleaned lead, then tumbled for 30 minutes and sold for $7.95 a lbs. Obviously smaller calibers equal more balls per pound.

I generally cast 2 days a week

· Registered
137 Posts

Go here and scroll down: https://pocketpredator.com/three.htmllead ball ammo is cast from triple cleaned lead, then tumbled for 30 minutes and sold for $7.95 a lbs. Obviously smaller calibers equal more balls per pound.
thanks a lot my friend! But for some reason the link is not working for me. It says incorrect url whatever that means lol.

· Registered
2,754 Posts

thanks a lot my friend! But for some reason the link is not working for me. It says incorrect url whatever that means lol.

Mik...You might try to google up blackpowder supplies.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.