Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second post in more than 4 years or so, I got inspired by the F-16 post ;- )

My favorite go to sling has always been the modified F-16, but this sling below is pretty much in the tie. It is a PC-M4 wire sling from China. As I have posted before the sling as it comes is a pure [email protected] ! The tubes are horrible the fit and finish bad, the pouch stinks and I could go on .... but the wire sling itself is perfect. It was cheap and it is not zinc so it will not break !!

I remove all the stuff off the sling and redo it, I anodize the frame, re wrap the handle section, slide rubber tubing over the forks and generally use loop tubing for power ..... most of the time I use 1745,1842 or #303 from the latex tubing store, I do use Green Rolyan also, great stuff !. Having almost 3 inches of fork gap I'm fine with 5/8 size marbles and down .. 3/8oz lead weights are deadly with this sling, as are 1/2 steal ;- )

Cheapo%20Sling%20Hold%20sm.png

Road%20Warrior%203050%20sm.png

Here are three that are being blued, back a few years ago.

3%20Tarnished%20Cheapos%20sm.png

These slings were a great buy at the time as they were well under $2.00 ea. Not so now, i would not buy at the $4-6+ price. i bought mine by buying a 12ea lot and I did get them Cheap. Hence the reason back when i was posting a lot, I named this sling "The Cheapo"

I feel the slingshot bug starting to hit me again so I may be posting more ;- )

wll

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I am so glad to see you on here,Wll

And as for me, the other cheapo, I love the mods you made here. I have of these flips laying around some whete or one like it.

I love when I find a projest and have all the components on hand.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: KawKan

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting ready for this weekend, these two will be going along with the one posted yesterday. I will take a F-16 also.

I have the marbles ready and some steel also. I love slinging marbles as they are fun to watch sailing along.

I'm going to my airgun spot, I don't think I'm a good enough slingshot shooter to hit anything, but is sure fun trying.

Coated all rubber with 303, that I just got today, and just made sure these slings are ready for action. i have my glasses and my shooting glove as usual ;-)

Hornet%20sm.png

Cheapo%20sm.png

wll

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Glad to see you posting stuff! I love seeing what people can do with a cheap platform, and those looped shooters look awesome. By far my favorite style of frame.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
wll, great to read your posts. When I first started here, I would look for your posts in the Slingshot Modifications sub-forum. Hope you start posting again!

·
4,418 Posts
I'm Just gonna say this Wll I want to thank you for showing me this beauty.
Those are pretty cool slings for sure. I'm still trying to get a hold of the manufacturer in China to buy a few of them so I cam make up some for my guys at work. China is on a two week long vacation now so getting in touch with them is hard at the present time !.

wll

·
Registered
662 Posts
On thread I had for my mod their is a link for Amazon. They are 4.84$ on there. That way you can get a few while they are in Vacay.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On thread I had for my mod their is a link for Amazon. They are 4.84$ on there. That way you can get a few while they are in Vacay.
While that is a fair price, I'm looking at buying 25+ of them, to make some custom Cheapo's for folks I know.

Looking to spend under a bucks ea if I can from China. They are on Holiday till around Feb 1 .... at that time I will try again.

wll

·
Registered
662 Posts
While that is a fair price, I'm looking at buying 25+ of them, to make some custom Cheapo's for folks I know.

Looking to spend under a bucks ea if I can from China. They are on Holiday till around Feb 1 .... at that time I will try again.

wll
Do you have a link for them? Wouldn't mind seeing if there are a couple other designs on the cheap.

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have an Alibaba link, just look up cheap slingshots under $1.00 .. Alibaba has been a real pain for me so far. There are other deals, but so far it is for me not like you are ordering from ebay or Amazon .. so far I'm not to impressed !

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just bought a few more Cheapos at a very good price, not as good as China, but pretty good. I will rip them apart, tumble them and apply bluing to slow down any rusting. I then will build one with pictures showing how I wrap the handle, put the latex tube covering over the wire frame and put on my finger sling.

wll

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well I just bought a few more Cheapos at a very good price, not as good as China, but pretty good. I will rip them apart, tumble them and apply bluing to slow down any rusting. I then will build one with pictures showing how I wrap the handle, put the latex tube covering over the wire frame and put on my finger sling.

wll
I have started using over grip under grip tape to add some cushion. To make the metal a little more forgiving to the hands.

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

wll
My frames come in tomorrow, so I'll start ripping them apart and doing some touch ups to the frames, adding a little space in the eye so my frame tubes will fit and grinding down the rough edges. Then comes 3 hrs in the vibration tumbler and then blued and lightly oiled.

Then one luckey one will be all set up in a how to with pictures ... it may take a little while :)

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

wll
My frames come in tomorrow, so I'll start ripping them apart and doing some touch ups to the frames, adding a little space in the eye so my frame tubes will fit and grinding down the rough edges. Then comes 3 hrs in the vibration tumbler and then blued and lightly oiled.

Then one luckey one will be all set up in a how to with pictures ... it may take a little while :)

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well here are some photos of one of the Cheapo's I got today.

The first pick is of the [email protected] packaging

Cheapo%20Package%20sm.png

The second is the sling out of the package. Notice the rotten tubes and the tubes on the nut is split ... really dangerous ! Not only that but the black tubing on the forks is glued on and just pealed off, it was rotten !

Cheapo%20Out%20of%20Package%20sm.png

The next photo is showing the burr on the eye ... this would tear all tubes that you would try to install. I took a screw driver to open up the eye a bit and then sanded the inside to make it smooth.
Cheapo%20Burr%20sm.png

The last pic is the almost completed sling ...Still have to put a lanyard on it and fix her up a bit. I might add the tubes over the forks are a real bear to do and must be done using liquid soap on the inside

Cheapo%20Built%20sm.png

wll

·
4,418 Posts
Here it is finished, a two finger lanyard that holds the sling in my hand and in place ready for a fast shot. The tassels at the end are there just because I like the looks ;- )

I'm not sure what I will band her with, probably 1745 or maybe my Kent #303 (this tubing is between 1842 and 1745 in the power level and is capable of major hunting if I should use it as such). I may give this sling tube set a 7" active so I can extend my draw just a wee bit, I feel as if I have been a bit on the short side of my draw ;- )

I might add that almost all my slings are very much utilitarian in looks and are made to function when called upon. I do have a few Chinese Zinco's and some funky others but basically I want a sling that can take abuse and is thin to pocket. I have all types of commercial slings from many of the slingshot makers on this forum and others and they are all well designed and function well .... but almost all of them have bulk and I like a easily pocketable sling.

Being a slingshot is such a simple device and the power comes from the elastic, as long as the sling holds the intended elastic well and is comfortable to hold, I'm fine ! The F-16 is a great example of a very, very underrated slingshot that is available at just about any big retailer, and I always have one or two of my modified F-16 in my slingshot bag. The wide forks are great for safely reasons and throwing big ammo and this sling can handle heavy tubes and very heavy ammo also.

I put the Cheapo's in a little bit different category as for me are better suited for ammo in the 1/2" diameter and a bit smaller. The weight of the ammo can be 50 cal lead if you wish and knock the heck out of something using any tubes you desire ! The Cheapos are also a lot smaller, much more pocketable and in my opinion more comfortable to shoot.

I wasn't going to give my philosophy on why I like these so much, but there you have it anyway ;- )

Cheapo%20Finished%20sm.png

wll

1 - 20 of 25 Posts