Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
This is a photo the from about 7days ago taken the day after a strange thing happened. I have shot probably 10k plus shots maybe 20k plus. Nothing like this happened.

I love blue thera band and use 75mm to 55mm about 9.5 inches long. I fold/roll them never had a problem.

I had just put the bands on and was about 4 or 5 shots in and I just thought I was not shooting great, but one even hit the can. Then this one shot some how tangles up and the ball comes back just like a band slap and the actual ball hits my middle finger just below the middle knuckle.

I thought wow what the heck did I do. So a bit confused, I made sure my alignment was straight and I hit the can again and a couple near misses and guess what? That dang band did the same thing and the ball hit me in the exact same spot. Holy crap !!!! And I don't know how I didn't swear and cuss cause it flippin hurt. And you know that feeling, intense shooting pain, total bewilderment while the blood rushes to your head
like the mercury in a thermometer in a cartoon, yes? Yes this is funny and sad at the same time. I even laugh about it now. Too bad I can't hit the stinking can in the exact same place like that demon ball did my finger.

I think I figured out the issue it was the way the band was folded and put through the pouch and had a pecular twist. That is the only thing that is different in all that I did. When I changed the band I didn't keep the fold that I used to get the band through the pouch hole. (Since, everything is fine.) I just got it through and kept it "flat" and let the stretch and tying do it's own constricting with out me thinking the extra fold makes it smaller.

Perhaps you can see the slight difference between the two ways they look. the one on the right is the bad, bad, very bad band. it is not the original but close to what it looked like. Human body Gesture Wrinkle Wood Thumb Human body Gesture Wood Finger Wrinkle Blue Gesture Yellow Wood Electric blue Hand Human body Gesture Finger Knee

Sorry the band photos aren't as obvious visually as I would have liked. The main thing is, I think, keep the loose edge to the outside. The bad one was too far to the inside all the way from the pouch to the fork.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
OUUUUCH!!!!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I had a problem with getting fork hits constantly and I tried everything.... then I switched bands and had no problems since.............guess what the difference in the bands was ????????.....You guessed right, the band was folded or rolled and the edges were open to the inside towards the pouch .... just like yours !

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a problem with getting fork hits constantly and I tried everything.... then I switched bands and had no problems since.............guess what the difference in the bands was ????????.....You guessed right, the band was folded or rolled and the edges were open to the inside towards the pouch .... just like yours !
Thanks for the confirmation. Perhaps this will help others.

I knew to keep the the edges to the out side but was too lazy to correct it. I thought it was more for longevity of the band. Now I know there is more than one reason.

Funny I saw it was like that and didn't pay attention to that gut feeling, that voice that says "I don't know if you should leave it like that."

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Perhaps this will help others.

I knew to keep the the edges to the out side but was too lazy to correct it. I thought it was more for longevity of the band. Now I know there is more than one reason.

Funny I saw it was like that and didn't pay attention to that gut feeling, that voice that says "I don't know if you should leave it like that."
[/quote]

Hmmm ...that must be one of the reasons(iirc) Flatband (forgive me if it is a mis-credit to whomever originally posted) had stated awhile back "he likes the fold edge in and tag ends to the outside" . ...but omg that looks like it smarts somethin fierce!

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Okay, Ray -- Got it. To the outside.

Thanks for sharing the lesson.

. . . Twice, huh?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Not on the finger, but I did smack my hand really bad earlier in the month.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry to see this, Rayshot!

But thanks for sharing your awful experience for its edification factor... It looks incredibly painful!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
This happened to me about ten days ago. It's the first time ever and luckily didn't cause as much damage as yours did. I packed up after the first hit though, didn't fancy a second hit like you! REAL painfull all the same. Not sure what caused it, that shot was like so many others before the hit and afterward, I haven't changed shooting style since and no problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.