Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the helpful advice on the Beginners Forum, I modified a small kitchen knife into my idea of a bark stripping knife. The blade has a sharp cutting straight, then a more "scraping" curve, then a rounded point that is more like a sharpened thumb nail, but avoiding the pain of using a thumb nail. I like it a lot.

Then I took my 4 remaining as-cut forks that are Sycamore or Norway Maple, depending on whom I ask, and a new Walnut as-cut fork that I found yesterday, and, one at a time, submerged them in boiling water for 15 minutes.

Wearing rubber gloves and applying the knife to each hot fork straight out of the water, I only had to use the knife to lift the bark at the thick end of the fork and it could then be pulled off like a tight-fitting leather jacket. In less than 2 minutes.

One photo shows an over-thick Sycamore/Norway Maple fork and the perfectly sized Walnut fork with their stripped bark - the Walnut bark came off cleanly in only 2 pieces, easier than the Sycamore/ Norway Maple, as I had expected from previous work done cold.

The surprise, apart from the ease and speed of stripping, was the golden green colour of the Walnut (photo 3) which, from cold, strips white. A staining from the boiling, I guess. I don't know yet how deep or durable this colour is.

An enjoyable and revealing experiment.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Mike, as you strip the bark off keep in mind that I will be doing a "bark-on" contest later this year. If you find something interesting put it aside. Here are a couple I've done in the past from previous posts, As the years have gone by it turns out that my favorite naturals have had some bark left on them.

Wood Knife Vegetable Hardwood Fashion accessory
Wood Kitchen utensil Vegetable Tool Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, as you strip the bark off keep in mind that I will be doing a "bark-on" contest later this year. If you find something interesting put it aside. Here are a couple I've done in the past from previous posts, As the years have gone by it turns out that my favorite naturals have had some bark left on them.

attachicon.gif
Madrona Slingshot 2 015.JPG
attachicon.gif
small slingshot build-off 010.JPG
Thanks, that's a nice idea.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.