Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
A good friend rebuild his garden this summer and collected some forks from a yew which has no longer a place in his garden...
Because yew is very rare where i live i was very happy to get my hands on it....
Made myself a stubby little pocket shooter out of one fork with about a 1" fork gap.
Finished with 600 grit an a few coats of BLO.
Will add some more oil and finish it with wax.
Will post better daylight pictures when it's finished...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
I always liked that Yew wood. I never got a chance to make a frame out of it. It always shows great grain and carries a nice finish. nice work Bootsman.

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
I always liked that Yew wood. I never got a chance to make a frame out of it. It always shows great grain and carries a nice finish. nice work Bootsman.
Thank you very much sir!
It's the first time for me to work with it. I only knew that it makes great wood for bows and has a very fine grain and grows slow. Was realy lucky to get it. It was during barbecue at my friends garden where he told me it's yew and he no longer want it in his garden because it's poison.
I said "do what you've got to do but i need to have some forks..."

·
HOLD-FAST
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks lbojoe!

After a few coatings with BLO i rubbed it with bees wax.
Ready for some rubber...but not sure if i should realy shoot it or just look at it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thanks lbojoe!

After a few coatings with BLO i rubbed it with bees wax.
Ready for some rubber...but not sure if i should realy shoot it or just look at it
That's just beautiful... I think you might be obliged to shoot a few rounds even if it is is destined as a safe queen? Love the yew and you made something excellent with it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts