Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't done a lot of shooting since I was a kid on the farm slinging stones at varmints getting at the chickens, but I've been wanting to get back into slingshots as a hobby and tool, so decided to make my own (but that failed miserably (all three separate times I tried), so before going back to the drawing board I got myself the Torque from Simple Shot.

Wow.

Not sure what else needs to be said. Now if I could quit hitting the forks, I might just be in business!

f603dcdb824b68fc3cf4df674e4740d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I'd been shooting a couple years and felt very comfortable with almost any frame I picked up, but got a Torque and got more than one frame hit with that bugger.

Don't give up, you'll get better and also find a frame style that fits you just right and every shot will hit your target! Also, don't hesitate to go carve a fork and slap some bands on it, you'll be surprised how well they shoot!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Everything comes with practice. Also... get some paprika and onions in them Home Fries. :drool:
Ditto! And get a larger fry pan or a wok so you can stir those potatoes.

Have you thought about a Pocket Predator Hathcock Target Sniper?

Also, try a single tube or pseudo tapers on that Torque. And wrap the Torque grip with some para-cord.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
The Torque is an awesome frame. But its not forgiving thanks to its narrow fork gap - its the only frame I've managed to fork hit (though to be fair I think it was user error). Another frame to also look at is the Pocket Predator Topshot.

·
Master of Swine Fu
2,736 Posts
Haven't done a lot of shooting since I was a kid on the farm slinging stones at varmints getting at the chickens, but I've been wanting to get back into slingshots as a hobby and tool, so decided to make my own (but that failed miserably (all three separate times I tried), so before going back to the drawing board I got myself the Torque from Simple Shot.

Wow.

Not sure what else needs to be said. Now if I could quit hitting the forks, I might just be in business!

f603dcdb824b68fc3cf4df674e4740d7.jpg

90* twist on the pouch stopped my fork hits with the torque.​

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Nice looking slingshot and a great looking potatoes. I like to add a little onion powder and garlic salt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've got your hands on a wild one. She's great but temperamental.
I've wacked a torque fork more than a few times. Just hold her straight give the pouch a twist and enjoy!
Thank you! that twist just cut down the fork hits to zero..... its amazing how temperamental it was.... I've been shooting guns for about 36 years, so I know how important form is, but this was on a whole new level. That twist just gave me a little bit of wriggle room to figure out the rest of my stance with out destroying the thing

·
Master of Swine Fu
2,736 Posts
I've wacked a torque fork more than a few times. Just hold her straight give the pouch a twist and enjoy!
Thank you! that twist just cut down the fork hits to zero..... its amazing how temperamental it was.... I've been shooting guns for about 36 years, so I know how important form is, but this was on a whole new level. That twist just gave me a little bit of wriggle room to figure out the rest of my stance with out destroying the thing
Glad it worked for you like it did for me. The Torque caused me much anguish before i learned of THE TWIST.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad it worked for you like it did for me. The Torque caused me much anguish before i learned of THE TWIST.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
It was a beautiful thing.... I was getting a bit scared, cause about every 4th or 5th shot was tagging a fork and getting sent off to left field. And now I have a slingshot with a neat little marble sized divot in the fork to add some character.... at least my fork hits were consistent!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discount store bands will work fine. Just make sure they are latex. The problem is repeatability. Can you get the same brand next time. You experiment to get the right cut for your ammo but next time you can't get that brand. You have to get another brand experiment again. Lot of waste.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Huh, guess it's not just me. The first week I had mine it took three fork hits. One with a .33" lead ball on the top inside corner, grazed it somewhere with 3/8" steel, and then cut my tube sending the 7/16" steel ball flying back into the room somewhere luckily not hitting anyone or anything but I was coming off a bad stomach bug for that one. Never was a fan of the idea of twisting the pouch but standing in front of a mirror to check my form helped to be sure I was drawing straight away and creating an isosceles triangle with the frame and tubes at full draw, not tilting the frame in any direction. Haven't had a fork hit since but I did put a mean dent in the wall when I barely missed the catch box the other day

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huh, guess it's not just me. The first week I had mine it took three fork hits. One with a .33" lead ball on the top inside corner, grazed it somewhere with 3/8" steel, and then cut my tube sending the 7/16" steel ball flying back into the room somewhere luckily not hitting anyone or anything but I was coming off a bad stomach bug for that one. Never was a fan of the idea of twisting the pouch but standing in front of a mirror to check my form helped to be sure I was drawing straight away and creating an isosceles triangle with the frame and tubes at full draw, not tilting the frame in any direction. Haven't had a fork hit since but I did put a mean dent in the wall when I barely missed the catch box the other day
My form had to be spot on perfect not to get a fork hit, and it was the same dang place every time. I'm pretty sure it was my anchor point, and playing with the best position for me that was causing it. I had never heard of putting a twist on the pouch except when I was learning and told not to by my uncle who had been shooting for years... but it worked like a champ, and I get to play with my anchor point too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts